Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Feb 24, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,596 of 3,098
@sodesuka, ouch on the phone! Are the silver wires stiffer than the originals? I could mod the Flare myself. The tricky part is getting a good cable that fits in the body slot with the proper tightness.

It isn't fun soldering the little speaker driver. Already did that once due to stupidity.
Thanks

No, it's quite flexible, pretty much as flexible even though I made it 4-braid, I bought it from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Silver-9999-Stranded-Litz-Wire-29AWG-Teflon-Audio-Cable-Tonearm-Rewire-DIY-/111053284574?hash=item19db4aa4de:m:maO-rvt9vKr6jjdiq3WbRLA

Relatively cheap compared to 'boutique' cable.

Oh I know what you mean, I failed once and had to buy spare drivers from flare since I was using some stiff 28awg solid core cable, worked well for a few weeks, and then it just broke at the solder. Then one of the driver went kapoof on another resoldering. :frowning2:

The one on ebay above is litz stranded 29 awg cable, which seems to work well, we'll see how it'll hold up. I have another pair of spare drivers ready if anything happens this time.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,597 of 3,098
@sodesuka thanks for the info. Trying to be patient. I will monitor your results. Is silver capable of being bent more or less than copper for longevity? How long could it take Flare to do this? It is something we can do on the kitchen table.

Learned a lesson with the Flare. Just because you can sleep in them, doesn't mean you should! The thing I hate worse than soldering the drivers is 'recalibrating' the end caps to get bass sounding correct and channels balanced. It is time consuming. Also not easy to order replacement drivers in the US.

Will just listen to my balanced Trinity Atlas while waiting.
Thanks

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2,598 of 3,098
Several days later and it's holding up nicely, lintz wires work nice. And the sound, oh the sound, the piano, the decay, the timbre, the soundstage! These phones obliterate everything in my profile by far and away and with stupid ease. I can finally stop my happy trigger finger from clicking buy for every new shiny toy I see. I might finally be able to save enough to upgrade my PC lol.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,599 of 3,098
its pretty good. the only thing r2a doesnt have over trinity delta is layering, sep of instruments. with delta i can tell what direction sound comes from, with r2a its more simple but much more resolution. quantity if bass cant really make as better cause its more of a preference.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #2,604 of 3,098
Hi guys.

I'm a airy / widesoundstage + solid bass kinda guy.

How would this compare to Sony xba z5 / Sony xba A3 ? Thanks

In Pro the stage will be narrower than the Z5's but the bass will be faster and less quantity wise.
I sold my Z5 out in the past due to an enormous amount of bass, that was too much for me...
Can not tell anything about the A3.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #2,606 of 3,098
  Hey Guys,

Seems like this thread is dying...lol.  

How do the r2pros compare with the shure se846? Has anyone actually tested/ tried both? Thanks

I can't say because it would only be from memory and I personally don't like the overblown bass of the Shure. But take this with a fist full of salt the se846 holds to the detail of BA drivers slightly diffused soundstage, huge bass, rich mids. The R2Pro for me offer better layering, more balanced mids, but a flatter sound overall. 

Whoever is modding these things with cable upgrade and are close to the U.K please give a shout because I desperately want these done! Just too chicken to do it myself lol. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #2,607 of 3,098
  I can't say because it would only be from memory and I personally don't like the overblown bass of the Shure. But take this with a fist full of salt the se846 holds to the detail of BA drivers slightly diffused soundstage, huge bass, rich mids. The R2Pro for me offer better layering, more balanced mids, but a flatter sound overall. 

Whoever is modding these things with cable upgrade and are close to the U.K please give a shout because I desperately want these done! Just too chicken to do it myself lol. 

Thanks. When you say flatter sounding, do you mean reference like or are the shures more engaging/enjoyable?  

I could have helped with the cable soldering if you were in Canada(winnipeg)..lol,  but someone there should be able to do it for a fairly cheap price ( excluding the cost of the cable).

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #2,608 of 3,098

Thanks. When you say flatter sounding, do you mean reference like or are the shures more engaging/enjoyable?  

I could have helped with the cable soldering if you were in Canada(winnipeg)..lol,  but someone there should be able to do it for a fairly cheap price ( excluding the cost of the cable).

I mean more balanced, to my ears the Shure offer a more in your face kind of signature, I find the R2Pro really engaging but some have mentioned it not having enough bass. Ludicrous imo but hey sound is subjective and a lot of people like the tuning of the Shure. 

Really I'm in Canada in May! Although it's a massive country and I know we are about 4 hours from Edmonton, my girlfriend still hasn't told me where we are ending up lol. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,609 of 3,098
The most important thing when you're recabling the R2, besides using small enough cable, is to make sure that the cable align straight right below the filtered vent hole. This is to make sure that you don't need to bend the cable and occupy more space than needed in the housing, you'll need it for the cap.

For reference of the vent hole, the picture from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766183/lightbox/post/12271737/id/1549399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back