Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Mar 8, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,627 of 3,098
Eh... I wouldn't expect a night and day difference from a DAC or anything. The R2 sounds great straight from my iPhone 6, it just needs a bit more on the volume slider. I have a GoV2/Liquid Carbon that sounds better but I don't bother most of the time due to the plug and play convenience of the iPhone.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,631 of 3,098
Decided to sell all my other phones besides R2Pro. They simply sound like toys in comparison, which is kinda tragic. These things practically killed this hobby for me lol.

Ah well more money for other hobby I guess, right at the dawn of VR, and I've the perfect solution for the audio already haha.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #2,633 of 3,098
I wouldn't say they sound horrible out of my iPhone 5S, however they lack bass slam. They require more current than other IEMs to achieve full bass reproduction, because they are sealed chambers. (Almost all other IEMs are ported.) The amps in phones just don't have the power. They sound great, even in single-ended mode, out of my Pono Player. While on that topic, when are we going to see the balanced cable for the Pono Player?

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #2,634 of 3,098
I don't think anyone besides Flare knows. At this rate it's probably faster to find a modder willing to work it out, order a pair of spare driver (and maybe cable of your choice), have them sent to the modder and then have him send the finished balanced driver to you.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2,635 of 3,098
I'm about to pull the trigger for Snugs custom silicon tips. Pretty expensive, £109 with shipping to Oz plus whatever will cost to get impressions done and sent to UK. Hope it is worth it...

Edit: just booked in for ear impressions with www.connecthearing.com.au here in Adelaide. $50 for impressions, not too bad. I will order the snugs shortly after I get the impressions done. Just in case you're interested, there's a coupon for 15% off until the end of March with snugs, and that saves you about 15 pounds.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,636 of 3,098
Long time owner, but finally got round to posting my impressions of the R2A (not the Pro, sadly - missed out on that on the Kickstarter campaign) on here as there seem to be so few actual reviews listed in the Head Gear section:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/flare-audio-r2a-sound-isolating-in-ear-aluminum-earphones-with-high-definition-distortion-free-sound-black/reviews/15486

All feedback or comments very much appreciated (good or bad!) :wink:

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,637 of 3,098
I see Massdrop is running these again (non Pro)?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/flare-r2a-iems?utm_placement=1&referer=PR3LLV&mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202016-03-15&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,638 of 3,098
They are brilliant with Mojo! R2Pros are my first (and initially intended as last ) hifi iem-s, but I have a feeling that head fi madness is just beginning.

P.S. They sound good from iPhone 6, Xperia obviously has inferior output.

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,639 of 3,098
  Long time owner, but finally got round to posting my impressions of the R2A (not the Pro, sadly - missed out on that on the Kickstarter campaign) on here as there seem to be so few actual reviews listed in the Head Gear section:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/flare-audio-r2a-sound-isolating-in-ear-aluminum-earphones-with-high-definition-distortion-free-sound-black/reviews/15486

All feedback or comments very much appreciated (good or bad!) :wink:

How would you compare Flares with Rockets? I've got Pros, and love them, but would consider changing them for Rockets (because of tough build) if SQ is similar.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,640 of 3,098
How would you compare Flares with Rockets? I've got Pros, and love them, but would consider changing them for Rockets (because of tough build) if SQ is similar.

Not heard the Pros, but the R2A and the Rockets are close enough in sound signature for it to be a sidegrade rather than a downgrade. The soundstage is the only thing the R2s have a clear advantage on - I've just put a review of the Rockets up as well in the Head Gear section if you want to get a more detailed opinion? The build quality is insanely tough on the Rockets though, compared to the Flares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back