Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #1,276 of 3,098
My immediate first impressions are: how in the hell have they done this?!?

Now these are NOT the best IEMs I have ever heard, let's be clear about that, but at the Kickstarter price, it's an amazing IEM. And on a technology level, even more impressive. I recall when I first started my Head-Fi journey with the MEElectronics M11+; it used to be the smallest IEM I had ever used. The R2A is like half the size; you can fit BOTH ears (without tips) within the circumference of a dime!

Unfortunately, I don't have anything right now in the same price bracket (still haven't gotten my Fidue A83 back yet), but these sound very good. I can't yet rule out being overpriced, but I can say with certainty the sound quality was worth the Kickstarter price. I would maybe describe these in this fashion: think of neutral, then add a little bass without messing with anything else. The sound stage is pretty good, not the largest, but it doesn't feel small and intimate. Separation is again quite good. My early thoughts on sound are that these offer impressive sound quality in the smallest package I've yet seen.

Now what gripes do I have with these? I would have preferred left/right markers on the barrels of the IEMs, or a protruding dot somewhere on one of them to indicate which side is which. The y-split as a counterweight for wearing over-ear is definitely one way to go about the issue, but it's bothersome in straight-down wear. It works out well enough for me since I wear over-ear, but I see the issue people would have wearing straight-down. So as an all-around generally effective solution, I would have liked to see a standard y-split with a cable cinch instead. I could knock on the plug for quality-considering-price, but honestly it's not all that bad, maybe the relief feels a tad stiff, but that's really it. There's 3 ways to do a plug. A) medium-to-large in size, but well-relieved with flexible material. B) very small, with minimal or no strain relief (like the Linum bax cable). This works because there's nearly no way to bend the wire near the plug as it's never in any spot with that tight of a squeeze. C) WRONG (pretty much anything not A or B). I'd say these lean more towards option B than anything else. I really hate to see anything that does things with option C, especially if it's on a good product; cheapo Skullcandy's have it (used to have a pair, no, they aren't good products, just popular) and quite unfortunately the VSonic VSD3S had option C as well (too bad as it actually sounded pretty good).

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,277 of 3,098
Ship it back. You paid what.. US$310 right? It is against the rule to sell it for a profit here.

BUY&SELL RULE #3 : NO. YOU CAN'T SELL HEADPHONES FROM BLACK FRIDAY OR OTHER SALES FOR A PROFIT HERE (INCLUDING KICKSTARTER, INDIGOGO)
Buying and selling items on the forums for the express purpose of making a profit is not allowed.

I think a forumer posted in the last few posts mentioned Flare team don't accept 14-days refund for backers? Anyone asked too?

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #1,282 of 3,098
  I have only seen one post about it and nothing else, so I doubt they changed it, but then again you never know

I doubt they changed it, the one who said that they did did not provide source for the claim. Either way, you'd have to ask flare directly if you want to apply for the return.

Selling my R2A's at the KS price, plus postage. Ship to UK only
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/f/41/for-sale-trade-forums

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #1,284 of 3,098

On a coach to London listening to some binaural recordings with my R2A's connected to my X5 + E12DIY. The amazingly effortless sound stage coupled with the fit and noise isolation provided by the comply tips just make the R2A's disappear in my ears.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,285 of 3,098
Any comments of using the Comply's backwards? Wonder if this is a common thing? Found that with them back to front the R2A's sounded alot better, way more open and less muddled. I guess that the tips were getting compressed strangely in my ear with normal use?

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #1,288 of 3,098

On a coach to London listening to some binaural recordings with my R2A's connected to my X5 + E12DIY. The amazingly effortless sound stage coupled with the fit and noise isolation provided by the comply tips just make the R2A's disappear in my ears.

Looks good! Well I just sold mine and I would love to buy that H3 that you will not be using since you now using your R2A.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,290 of 3,098
smily_headphones1.gif
Well I tried them (R2a), and to put it very politely I am NOT impressed. I found after rolling about 12 pairs of tips, that very wide Bore Black silicone tip sound best, either Senns or JVC.

Firstly they are HALF the Volume of any other earphones I have and if you put enough power to them to bring them to a Respectable level and add ANY Bass, these distortionless earphones Distort like a Mutha, mostly prominent in Female Vocals

Quietly they sound very good. Accurate, very well balanced, spacious soundstage and YAWN..... FLAT and Boring. Truthfully, I have about 10 various El Cheapo KZ earphones that will eat these alive, let alone Dunu Titans. It's not even close.

I would have them for sale RIGHT NOW but they are a collectors piece. Let me burn these in for about 200 Hours, have a listen at that time and pass final judgement.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back