Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 9, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,141 of 3,098
  Thank you guys!

I agree.

But surprise!
I did a little bit of cooking today: burned them tiny tots in for ONLY about 2 hours and that burned the shrill right out of them!
I am a believer of burn-in as I experienced them myself even before knowing of headfi, but this is just too dramatic.

They still tend towards a brighter sound than even the Dita Truth but very manageable highs now.
And the bass got slightly fuller, making EDM very listenable back to back with ballads lol.

And i am STILL using the silicone tips.

NOW they are AWESOME.

I have to say that I was underwhelmed when I first plugged 'em in, but 2 days later and they only leave my ears when I have to go to the bathroom :p

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,142 of 3,098
The R2As are really remarkable. They're basically a tiny IEM full sized headphone replacement in the bigness of the sound and staging. Since I've had them I haven't listened to my Focal Spirit Pros at all.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,143 of 3,098
In symphony concert, R2Pro mid range is fighting with treble range, that mean mid range is way too loud to enjoy any bass and treble range can offer in studio headphone. I would be more comfortable going back to studio headphone since I can feel hear piano timbre and female vocal are expressed clearly while R2PRO sound muddy.in this part.

Updated: I found the comply tip do the bad job with R2, change to other tips will do the best job and it begin to shown super clarity than my headphone. Great invention ever!

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,144 of 3,098
Just got my R2As.  The Y splitter is thick and heavy.  Likely the worst Y splitter in the history of Y splitters made doubly ridiculous considering how tiny the earphones themselves are.  It's patently obvious Flare's supplier likely misread measurements or some similar screw up, no one could have made this awkward thing on purpose.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,145 of 3,098
  Just got my R2As.  The Y splitter is thick and heavy.  Likely the worst Y splitter in the history of Y splitters made doubly ridiculous considering how tiny the earphones themselves are.  It's patently obvious Flare's supplier likely misread measurements or some similar screw up, no one could have made this awkward thing on purpose.

It is weird. Even the word Flare on 1 side of mine pretty much has the F missing.

Ok after todays burn in... it`s not happening with an ipod touch, the treble is almost plastic. It is the only real source I have and wish I never sold my E17 amp (due to helping fund hifi upgrade) because the BH is not the best with treble which doesn`t help matters.

Struggling a bit here...

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,146 of 3,098

Has anyone asked Flare for an explanation about the Y splitter yet?

Curious to know what they might have said

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,147 of 3,098
I think on the kickstarter they may have mentioned that it was meant as a counter weight for over ear wear. But also that it could be removed and that they are maybe working on different ones for release later. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,149 of 3,098
  Has anyone asked Flare for an explanation about the Y splitter yet?

Curious to know what they might have said

I spoke with them through email - when I asked about the surprisingly heavy splitter, they said, "The cuff is there to add a slight weight so that the cable sits around the top of your ear to reduce cable noise transfer."

Didn't ask them about removal, though I'm going to guess 2 pairs of channel locks will do the trick :p

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,150 of 3,098
Still waiting...

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #1,154 of 3,098
After using my R2As for a week,
here are my (extra) short impressions.

The sound is still special!
Bass are deep and enveloping,
mids are full and detailed.
Highs came out a bit with a week of use and burn in, but still slightly laid back.
Soundstage is something to drool over.

Switching to SpinFits from Complys also improved it,
since the SQ was slightly too dark with the Complys,
the Spinfit tips gave it an airier feeling and I think also helped the highs a bit as well. 

They are great for use on the go,
but because of the damn Y-splitter,
I must use it over-the-ear otherwise the Y-splitter is just too heavy.

It is great for on-the-go because it sounds fine even when plugged directly to a phone,
While pairing with high-end portable amps like my Venturecraft Vantam improves their SQ even more.

One major surprise was that using an amp it found flaws in a recording that even my Earwerkz Supra 2 universal, which is super detailed and almost unforgiving already, did not reveal clearly.
This shows that the R2A is quite detailed actually (in contrary to my previous comments a week before) when given more power,
but its laid back signature makes most records (excluding the one it showed the flaw in) easy to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back