Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,111 of 3,098
  Ok I have a question: How does one identify if the set you have is the R2A aluminum, R2S steel or R2PRO titanium?
There is no indication and the steel and titanium on the kickstarter page look IDENTICAL.

And I felt my R2PROs have pretty piercing highs, quite different from what people say about them being laid back.
And I love my treble, so im usually tolerant of shrill highs.

I love how weirdly inconsistent the impressions for the Flares are lol. I think the R2As are black, and the R2Pros are bare metal, that's if you got in on the early bird kick starters anyway 

OK, well what's to stop me from using the the cable for the Pros on my incoming R2As and cheaply upgrading myself?

I'm almost certain that they use the same driver, it's just different housing materials that result in different colorations due to resonance. It's similar to what FAD does with their line of IEMs, which can utilize anything from brass to stainless steel. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,113 of 3,098
I could get my R2Pro to sound unbelievably shrill with no bass if I play around with the fit, although I have to deliberately hold it in such a way that it's normally impossible for that to happen naturally in my case.

It's crazy how fatigue free and musical these phones are. Everytime I try to analyze the IEM, I end up inadvertently enjoyed the music instead, and then it's already been hours before I knew it lol. I think it'd be too smooth for some people though.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,114 of 3,098
  I could get my R2Pro to sound unbelievably shrill with no bass if I play around with the fit, although I have to deliberately hold it in such a way that it's normally impossible for that to happen naturally in my case.

It's crazy how fatigue free and musical these phones are. Everytime I try to analyze the IEM, I end up inadvertently enjoyed the music instead, and then it's already been hours before I knew it lol. I think it'd be too smooth for some people though.

I totally agree with this. I try and i try to analyse all the time, but it sucks me in. Every. Single. Time.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,115 of 3,098
OK, well what's to stop me from using the the cable for the Pros on my incoming R2As and cheaply upgrading myself?

Nothing. The drivers in the Pros & R2A are identical. Sonic changes are attributed completely to the difference in housing material.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,116 of 3,098
Plugged my R2A`s into my Marantz PM6005 amp for some burn in and played some vinyl. Sounded decent I have to say. I think these things require power.

Edit: Which makes sense about my high gain on my BH amp comment.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,117 of 3,098
Theres something you guys could try, separate the foam from the nozzle, and shorten the nozzle slightly

The , using a soft, large bore silicone tip, insert the comply bore inside the tip

This gives a really reference type sound quality and tonal balance, extremely detailed and resolving, clean, and can be unforgiving of poor sources. It is a pretty interesting thing to try.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,118 of 3,098
Thanks for that WCD, would fit inside my Orto tips well.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,120 of 3,098
Same here!
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,121 of 3,098
Nice one chaps. Try not to get annoyed or angry if you can`t get a proper seal easily (you will understand). The bottom end is fantastic and after a few hours the treble is becoming more realistic (you call it brain burn, I call it driver burn in)

I am certainly not as peed off as yesterday.

Edit: But still dodgy via my ipod touch...

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,122 of 3,098
Just A/B`d with the W4.

Something Westone does well is buttery female vocals and I suppose rolled off highs but you cannot get away from the ease of sound and timbre. Balanced armatures strengths. If I could shove the R2A in there with it`s bottom end I would be in heaven (dynamic strength)

My SD3 is close to the blend above but I must get my hands on another hybrid. They must be getting close to a heavenly sound.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,124 of 3,098
What tips do you use?

Hi WCDchee, I use silicon hybrid tips.
I do not use Complys and will not use them so there is little point in using them now.
I have used them before and for the trouble of putting them on and disposing them, it is not imo a worthwhile exchange.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,125 of 3,098
I love how weirdly inconsistent the impressions for the Flares are lol. I think the R2As are black, and the R2Pros are bare metal, that's if you got in on the early bird kick starters anyway 

I'm almost certain that they use the same driver, it's just different housing materials that result in different colorations due to resonance. It's similar to what FAD does with their line of IEMs, which can utilize anything from brass to stainless steel. 

Hello!

My concern is more R2S vs R2PRO.
They look identical in the pictures and I do not have them side by side to compare any weight difference between these tiny tiny iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back