Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 18, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #1,381 of 3,098
My IEM collection is about to get quite small.

R2A, R2PRO and that's it.

I have been listening to R2A for few days now and about an hour ago opened R2PRO and I truly cannot believe what I am hearing from such a tiny little thing.

These really do sound effortlessly full and open like some well tuned full size headphones. Tonality is spot on. resolution is superb. Bass is the best bass I've ever heard from any IEM so far. Highs are also nice but you do need to experiment with few tips to find your own sweet spot. I did noticed that wide bore tips made highs sounding little metallic and thin.

Bach violin concertos by Hilary Hahn (24bit/88.2khz): I can finally see cello players without any haze and follow every last low octaves without any brain squeeze trying to locate them in soundscape.
Solo player is precisely positioned in the center with holographic imaging with spot on instrumental timbre. First and second violin section is well separated and really the first thing that struck me again was the accurate spatial sound and the air between instruments.

Piano is one of the hardest instrument to record and reproduce via audio.

Bach: Two and Three Part Inventions by Glenn Gould (SACD):
First thing.. I can now clearly hear the chair squeaking when soloist moves his upper body while he is playing. Gould's humming is also clearly heard and voiced above piano keys. My mon was piano teacher and I grew up listening to this instrument at least 5-10 hours a day. R2PRO gets it very close. Piano's large tonal range is well portrayed here with a good dynamic range.

I am hoping to do some more write ups and comparisons when my brother returns my IE800.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,382 of 3,098

I have been listening to R2A for few days now and about an hour ago opened R2PRO and I truly cannot believe what I am hearing from such a tiny little thing.

These really do sound effortlessly full and open like some well tuned full size headphones. Tonality is spot on. resolution is superb. Bass is the best bass I've ever heard from any IEM so far. Highs are also nice but you do need to experiment with few tips to find your own sweet spot. I did noticed that wide bore tips made highs sounding little metallic and thin.

Bach violin concertos by Hilary Hahn (24bit/88.2khz): I can finally see cello players without any haze and follow every last low octaves without any brain squeeze trying to locate them in soundscape.
Solo player is precisely positioned in the center with holographic imaging with spot on instrumental timbre. First and second violin section is well separated and really the first thing that struck me again was the accurate spatial sound and the air between instruments.

First thing.. I can now clearly hear the chair squeaking when soloist moves his upper body while he is playing. Gould's humming is also clearly heard and voiced above piano keys. My mon was piano teacher and I grew up listening to this instrument at least 5-10 hours a day. R2PRO gets it very close. Piano's large tonal range is well portrayed here with a good dynamic range.

I am hoping to do some more write ups and comparisons when my brother returns my IE800.

Glad you love them. It'd have made me guilty if you hadn't, since you sold your rockets when I told you the R2s were a level up from them.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #1,384 of 3,098
Glad you love them. It'd have made me guilty if you hadn't, since you sold your rockets when I told you the R2s were a level up from them.

I still think there is certain charm in rockets mid frequency and how vocals are conveyed, but you were correct R2A is better in almost every other area.

If someone in Canada wants to sell their R2A let me know. My friend wants one after hearing mine.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #1,385 of 3,098

In the market for new iems and the IE800 was what I was going to get until I read about the R2As. The opinions in this thread have been mixed but it will be great to read a comparison between the two from someone who knows the IE800s well. Give your brother the hurry up☺️

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,387 of 3,098
I still think there is certain charm in rockets mid frequency and how vocals are conveyed, but you were correct R2A is better in almost every other area.

If someone in Canada wants to sell their R2A let me know. My friend wants one after hearing mine.

I am thinking of picking up the R2Pro, will let you know if I am getting rid of the R2A to finance that, will decide by thursday anyway.

Anyway, are you using comply tips only? I am trying to get the most out of my R2A. Amping definitely makes it improve quite a bit. Trying to get the best sound for it now with regular tips

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,388 of 3,098

smily_headphones1.gif
Well I tried them (R2a), and to put it very politely I am NOT impressed. I found after rolling about 12 pairs of tips, that very wide Bore Black silicone tip sound best, either Senns or JVC.

Firstly they are HALF the Volume of any other earphones I have and if you put enough power to them to bring them to a Respectable level and add ANY Bass, these distortionless earphones Distort like a Mutha, mostly prominent in Female Vocals

Quietly they sound very good. Accurate, very well balanced, spacious soundstage and YAWN..... FLAT and Boring. Truthfully, I have about 10 various El Cheapo KZ earphones that will eat these alive, let alone Dunu Titans. It's not even close.

I would have them for sale RIGHT NOW but they are a collectors piece. Let me burn these in for about 200 Hours, have a listen at that time and pass final judgement.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

cool.gif
Please disregard this post. It was an initial impression, and WAY off base. With the CORRECT tips and a good amount of Burn In, these are indeed Great Headphones. My advice is the same as what was given to me: DO NOT Roll tips even if like me, you haven't had good luck with complys in the past. USE THEM!!!! This earphone is designed for them, and if you take the extra (PIA) care to roll and insert them DEEPLY, (contrary to what some are saying), you will be rewarded with precise, FULL Sound. If you think different tips will fit you better, you are quite likely to have the results from my first impression post above.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the couple of Guys who corrected me, ( LMka, Destrozer, Midgetguy), and steered me in the right direction by getting me to re-think HOW I was using them. As a matter of fact, I currently have a set of backup complys on the way from St. Paul.

I only hope this reply helps others in their quest with this fantastic earphone set.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,389 of 3,098
:cool: Please disregard this post. It was an initial impression, and WAY off base. With the CORRECT tips and a good amount of Burn In, these are indeed Great Headphones. My advice is the same as what was given to me: DO NOT Roll tips even if like me, you haven't had good luck with complys in the past. USE THEM!!!! This earphone is designed for them, and if you take the extra (PIA) care to roll and insert them DEEPLY, (contrary to what some are saying), you will be rewarded with precise, FULL Sound. If you think different tips will fit you better, you are quite likely to have the results from my first impression post above.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the couple of Guys who corrected me, ( LMka, Destrozer, Midgetguy), and steered me in the right direction by getting me to re-think HOW I was using them. As a matter of fact, I currently have a set of backup complys on the way from St. Paul.

I only hope this reply helps others in their quest with this fantastic earphone set.

:cool: :cool: TWIN

Wonder how many ppl will regret their decision to sell them after a less then optimal first impression :wink:

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,391 of 3,098

cool.gif
Please disregard this post. It was an initial impression, and WAY off base. With the CORRECT tips and a good amount of Burn In, these are indeed Great Headphones. My advice is the same as what was given to me: DO NOT Roll tips even if like me, you haven't had good luck with complys in the past. USE THEM!!!! This earphone is designed for them, and if you take the extra (PIA) care to roll and insert them DEEPLY, (contrary to what some are saying), you will be rewarded with precise, FULL Sound. If you think different tips will fit you better, you are quite likely to have the results from my first impression post above.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

I grew to love the R2A and I am glad I gave it a chance. I am still trying to get the best sound out of it. Can you specify what you meant by how you were using them and being steered in the right direction? Maybe it might help me get more out of the R2A.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,392 of 3,098
I have to disagree.  I used Comply and I inserted them properly.  The results were okay but after tip rolling and eventually settling on small, wide bore double flanges I'm much happier with my R2As.  When it comes to fit ear geometry can vary a lot and it's best for people to explore their options until they find what works best for them.  Personally what works best for me from a comfort (ability to keep IEMs in ear longest) is a custom.  The R2As are more comfortable than most universals because of their diminutive nature.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,395 of 3,098

Oddly enough, I think Naomi (from Flare) herself uses the R2S. yeah haven't seen too many impressions of those. they are like the red headed step child no one seems to care about lol

It would be nice to read some impressions. I have the R2As myself as they were much cheaper and because the "superior high frequency response" description led me to think that the R2S would be the brighter sounding one. That just wouldn't work for me as I'm a little sensitive to higher frequencies. Plus, a fairly large chunk of the music I listen to these days is EDM so the more impact-inducing R2A looked like the better choice. I don't regret it one bit, the R2A amazes me. It's not the best IEM I've heard to date, but definitely the most impressive. It's like breaking science by getting quality and quantity of bass response (in addition to pretty good mids and treble) out of a dynamic driver that is in an enclosure that would have trouble fitting 2 balanced armatures. THAT is seriously impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back