Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,351 of 3,098
And I'm just sat here wondering when my UPS notification is going to arrive
confused_face.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,352 of 3,098
  That Y splitter really is an unnecessarily clumsy way to denote left and right.  Sighs.

smily_headphones1.gif
I think that splitter cover is designed as a weight to keep the cable behind your ears should you wear them Over-ear style. They should have at least rounded the corners on it because as it is, it catches on everything.

The splitter underneath is as robust as the cables are and should give adequate service if the earphones aren't abused in use.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,353 of 3,098

smily_headphones1.gif
I think that splitter cover is designed as a weight to keep the cable behind your ears should you wear them Over-ear style. They should have at least rounded the corners on it because as it is, it catches on everything.

The splitter underneath is as robust as the cables are and should give adequate service if the earphones aren't abused in use.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

That's exactly what it's designed for and in my past couple of days of experience, it works well enough. Though I personally think a chin slider works better. And it helps keep the cables untangled in storage. I also would rather have the L/R markings put onto the IEM barrels. My current solution is just to use different colored tips (which in my case works anyway since I'm using GR06 silicon tips which are different colored to denote size and my ear canals are different sizes).

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #1,354 of 3,098
smily_headphones1.gif
After my experience with rolling tips which resulted in an unwarranted negative review, I heartily suggest using the Comply tips that they come with, as a matter of fact I just ordered a set of 3 more, (medium isolation). They make all the difference in the world when properly inserted. I just wish the R2 was just a little louder.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,355 of 3,098
:) After my experience with rolling tips which resulted in an unwarranted negative review, I heartily suggest using the Comply tips that they come with, as a matter of fact I just ordered a set of 3 more, (medium isolation). They make all the difference in the world when properly inserted. I just wish the R2 was just a little louder.

:cool: :cool: TWIN

I'm pretty sure you feel they're much better than the KZs now. Hahaha

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,356 of 3,098

smily_headphones1.gif
After my experience with rolling tips which resulted in an unwarranted negative review, I heartily suggest using the Comply tips that they come with, as a matter of fact I just ordered a set of 3 more, (medium isolation). They make all the difference in the world when properly inserted. I just wish the R2 was just a little louder.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

I think these saddle up with my Havi B3 for hardest IEM to power, though I haven't tested that yet. I'm enjoying them though.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,358 of 3,098
Tried both the R2A and R2Pro with the Shozy Alien and I must say, colour me very very impressed!

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,359 of 3,098
I got my R2As yay.  On a couple hours burn in before listening but initial impressions they are tiny the weight is big but not as big as expecting from descriptions here my biggest gripe at the moment is the cable, looks flimsy and if caught on something it would snap no strength in it at all.  Oh and the carry pouch is ridiculously huge for what it is carrying.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,361 of 3,098
Was listening to some Rachel Yamagata via my R2As while drifting off to sleep last night, and when I rolled over the damn y-splitter stabbed me in my sternum.

On the plus side, the isolation is excellent. I've used them at the gym yesterday and today, and while riding my bike back and forth to work, and the whole time I barely heard anything other than my music. Also, they aren't very prone to wind noise while I'm riding as most IEMs, since I get pretty much the entire earphone into my ear and the cable doesn't flare out ala Rockets.

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,363 of 3,098

Looking forward to your further impressions. That's the pairing I have (R2As) and to me they sound remarkably good. I also want to know how bad I should feel for not moving up to the R2Pros :wink:.

The sound signature the R2Pros have I suppose is fairly neutral bass, slightly emphasized mids and somewhat soft treble. The bass and treble extension however is superb, the mids are extremely rich and the treble is still detailed. They also have an excellent presentation that really doesn't fit their small size and is more comparable to full-sized headphones. The R2A has more bass but seem somehow less refined, less detailed, so to speak. Tbh though, you aren't missing that much as the difference isn't that large and the R2A already is a very good set of IEMs in their own right.

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,364 of 3,098
So I've been doing a little comparative listening with the R2As and Rockets(fitted with very similar tips), and here are some early thoughts:

The R2As are quicker.

The R2As have better clarity throughout the mids, but aren't as lush, warm, or "romantic" sounding as the Rockets - which some people will probably prefer.

The R2As have more treble emphasis across the board. Cymbal crashes for instance(like in the below song), come across like a bolt of lightning in a somewhat distant but clear night sky, whereas with the Rockets the lightning is partially obscured by clouds.
ph34r.gif

The R2As are more prone to sibilance than the Rockets but so is pretty much everything else.

The R2As are more impactful than the Rockets. Sometimes with the R2As I feel like there's a ghost of a boxer who's trying to get my attention so that I might help him with some unfinished business so that he can pass on to the next world, and the best way he can think to do that is by punching me in the head.
ph34r.gif

^^^In this track, the acoustic guitar comes across with more vibrance with the R2As, which when combined with the punchier upper-bass line makes for a more engaging listen.

But on tracks with more "intimate" vocals(such as what's below), the sonic properties of the Rockets can almost make me feel like I'm falling in love and ****
redface.gif
(be still thy beating heart), and while the R2As also sound excellent, its presentation doesn't suit this kind of stuff as well.

And one more pic just because:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back