Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 2, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #406 of 3,098
Okay I think I'll stick with the pro. Tbh I should never have listened to them because now my expectations are so high. The R2A although exceptionally good for the money.....They just don't quite have the je ne sais quoi.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #408 of 3,098
  Yes. I haven't got time to go through every single song request unfortunately, but so far I will conclusively say they shine their best with a good recording duh. What I mean by that is if a recording is poor don't expect these to fix any flaws they aren't ruthless savage beasts but they are much more respective of better recordings. Everything from classical, orchestral, pop, rap, R&B, country and even heavy metal sounds great with a good recording. They are very versatile earphones and will be enjoyed even more so those discerning listeners that enjoy hearing those minute details.

I actually feel they are quite savage with bad recordings. They reveal lots of flaws in my music that I rarely hear from my other IEMs.

@destrozer,

any more juicy details/comments?

They are only in my ears few hours in, I want to listen extensively so I don't post impressions that look overly hyped like "OH MY GOD THESE WINS EVERYTHING ELSE HANDS DOWN".

I will say they are mighty impressive but I wouldn't compare them to multi-ba CIEMs. 

I would say the overall sound is very lively; full of dynamics, spacious (still doesn't beat most headphones though) and very enveloping. It really gets you engaged in the music.

They are also tip dependent, tried quite a few tips on them. (sony hybrid, spinfit, ortofon, comply, random wide bore, narrow bore tips from my stash)

They do get a bit sibilant and shouty at the top with generally all the wide bore tips.

Comply gives the best experience for me, oh and isolation is a MUST for them to work beautifully. If you don't get isolation on these, they sound like the worst things ever.

Some findings in these few hours. I really can't get them out of my ears man. Great stuff.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #410 of 3,098
  Are they exposing the flaw in bad recording to the point that it detract you from listening the song?

How are they with spin-fit?

Nope, it's more like a "oh hey look your recording has noise here" kind of expose. Hahahaha. It makes you notice all of them but it doesn't make you wanna stop listening.

I bought M-sized spinfits that worked well with my ASG-1Plus, but they don't fully fill my canals. It was how I realised the R2PRO MUST have isolation to sound good. I would expect the spinfits to sound similar to ortofons though, slightly shouty.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #411 of 3,098
  I actually feel they are quite savage with bad recordings. They reveal lots of flaws in my music that I rarely hear from my other IEMs.

They are only in my ears few hours in, I want to listen extensively so I don't post impressions that look overly hyped like "OH MY GOD THESE WINS EVERYTHING ELSE HANDS DOWN".

I will say they are mighty impressive but I wouldn't compare them to multi-ba CIEMs. 

I would say the overall sound is very lively; full of dynamics, spacious (still doesn't beat most headphones though) and very enveloping. It really gets you engaged in the music.

They are also tip dependent, tried quite a few tips on them. (sony hybrid, spinfit, ortofon, comply, random wide bore, narrow bore tips from my stash)

They do get a bit sibilant and shouty at the top with generally all the wide bore tips.

Comply gives the best experience for me, oh and isolation is a MUST for them to work beautifully. If you don't get isolation on these, they sound like the worst things ever.

Some findings in these few hours. I really can't get them out of my ears man. Great stuff.

Really oh my well in fairness I haven't had a good listen to a bad recording yet could you point me in the right direction might be useful to add to the review. But totally agree the Comply are the best fit and sound for me so far.

Enjoying them I can tell wait until you've had some brain burn in time that enveloping sound grows on you more and more! 

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #412 of 3,098
  Nope, it's more like a "oh hey look your recording has noise here" kind of expose. Hahahaha. It makes you notice all of them but it doesn't make you wanna stop listening.

I bought M-sized spinfits that worked well with my ASG-1Plus, but they don't fully fill my canals. It was how I realised the R2PRO MUST have isolation to sound good. I would expect the spinfits to sound similar to ortofons though, slightly shouty.

That's perfect, just what I like! Thank you for confirming this, that was the only worry I had when people said it the thing about bad recording with R2PRO.

So the best tips for these guys are foam I'm guessing. Guess I'll seriously look into that crystalline tips mentioned earlier in the thread.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #414 of 3,098
  Flare is really pushing the Pro. Their latest update quoting the Headfonia review is basically all about the Pro. 

I hope for their sake (but not for the consumers!) this isn't like a hifiman re400 vs re600 situation where the re400 is just so good for the price it overshadows the only somewhat better but much more expensive (initially) re600.

I'm hoping for the same as I opted for the pros...
Oh, and as a side note, I assure you that the RE-600 are not better than the RE-400.... Not at all! The RE-400 blows them out of the water with ease in pretty much everything.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #415 of 3,098
.... They reveal lots of flaws in my music that I rarely hear from my other IEMs......

I will say they are mighty impressive but I wouldn't compare them to multi-ba CIEMs......

I would say the overall sound is very lively; full of dynamics, spacious (still doesn't beat most headphones though)....

......I really can't get them out of my ears man. Great stuff.

What will you compare the R2Pro with?

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #417 of 3,098
Can anyone try them with generic Chinese foam tips? I quite like them and they cost significantly less than comply.

I tried some cheap foams, very clearly generic Comply imitations, and they were terrible due to not having the elasticity/expandability of the Comply tips. I guess they might work somewhat for people with very narrow ear canals.

I've lost count of the different tips I've tried with all kinds of earphones and so far the only foam tips I like are Comply, Shure and earphonesplus. The earphonesplus are the cheapest and work just fine with the Flare Audio R2*.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #418 of 3,098

Users who are viewing this thread

Back