Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #421 of 3,098
They are/were simply new to the scene and come wholey from a pro-audio scene..

It must have been a fast learning process for Flare and of course the first steps were simply a bunch of self-advertised internet brand promoters.

If you've been using Head-Fi and engulfed yourself in the world of portable audio for a long while, it might now seem unthinkable that others won't have heard of this tiny corner of the web before..

I just want to endorse that comment and opinion. After visiting Flare Audio it is very clear that they are firmly rooted in Pro Audio, i.e. stage, venue, festival, studio, event and so on. There were already some high end consumer/domestic products but the focus is or has been on licensing the patented technology more than going into production and competing with the biggest, meanest beasts in the jungle. It seems to me that entering the high end IEM market is something like a crossover (marketing, not electronic filtering, world cuisine, or gender bending).

I became aware of Flare Audio and the kickstarter by seeing an article in the local newspaper (The Argus). Of course I was soon searching the www for info/comments/opinions/experiences etc and one thing that was really striking to me was that initially all, or almost all, the information out there was to be found on Pro Audio focused sites - people in the business of music production and performance and presentation. I think it took a little while for that growing (and usually glowing) consciousness to reach the related but different territory of consumer/hi-fi/audiophool/audiophile/ghastlyrichkid territory we know and love so well....

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #424 of 3,098

#firstworldaudiophileproblems

That joke/comment doesn't make much sense.. seems to be saying that most audiophiles won't be worrying about missing that special something you can't describe. Yet, wanting that je ne sais quoi is exactly what defines an audiophile and not just an average music listener.

At the kickstarter £200, the Pros are cheap cheap cheap compared to some iems which only just get the basics right, so why wouldn't everyone be wanting the je ne sais quoi for only £120 more? Some people spend more on snacks, soft drinks and alcohol in a fortnight, let alone smoking habits.

Get the je ne sais quoi and stop being so strict to yourself (is my personal advice). Surely it's why you're here in the first place.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #425 of 3,098
   so I don't post impressions that look overly hyped like "OH MY GOD THESE WINS EVERYTHING ELSE HANDS DOWN".

If you don't get isolation on these, they sound like the worst things ever.

Hmm....  

Can they really sound like the worst things ever? Worse than free ear buds on a cheap flight?

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #426 of 3,098
In many parts of the world £200 is a very decent monthly salary for a skilled person, or even a professional. In other places, like here in UK, it doesn't cover the rent/mortgage for a week for many people. I'm English and haven't left the UK for about 8 years but I used to live in S.E. Asia and also travelled in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. It is an eye opener. I have some sympathy for people using the #firstworldproblem type hashtags because it's a good reminder for those of us who grew up in USA/Europe/Japan/Australia etc that even the poorest of us are not doing badly.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #427 of 3,098
Please play some 1980s Phil Collins, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Timmy Mallet, the soundtrack to Frozen and your choice of goth.

If the R2s can make any of that even part way palatable, we have a giant killer on our hands.

If they make any of that sound palatable (to you), then they will be coloured and distorting the sound.

I say that, but 1980s Phil Collins (surely 1990s Phil Collins is worse??) and goth often sound great to me.

I'm looking forward to listening to some 1980s over-production values with these.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #428 of 3,098
In many parts of the world £200 is a very decent monthly salary for a skilled person, or even a professional. In other places, like here in UK, it doesn't cover the rent/mortgage for a week for many people. I'm English and haven't left the UK for about 8 years but I used to live in S.E. Asia and also travelled in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. It is an eye opener. I have some sympathy for people using the #firstworldproblem type hashtags because it's a good reminder for those of us who grew up in USA/Europe/Japan/Australia etc that even the poorest of us are not doing badly.

That was kind of part of my point (but I might have adjusted my post so that I didn't actually make it...) .

Anyone deciding whether or not to buy some £30 Scullcandys is having a first world problem.  I guess would make more sense if the hashtag was something like #dilemmasofthe1%

Anyway, I'm labouring an irrelevent point LoL (tired, end of the day)

Too much talk, I just want my R2s now whatever flavour! Life's too short to not be hearing the music better than I am now.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #432 of 3,098
Does anyone have the rockets and can do a comparison?

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #434 of 3,098
Does anyone have the rockets and can do a comparison?

Remind me when they ship, if I still have the Rockets I'll do a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back