Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Aug 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,817 of 3,098
Just chiming into say i find this super interesting. And it looks like I was incorrect in my earlier post about idsy'a r2pro. There were imbalance issues from the start.

Not so good.

We'll see if flare makes changes to future production versions but there needs to be a more reliable way to get the end caps and o rings installed as expected. Plus it would be good if the design didn't pinch the cable.

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,818 of 3,098
Just chiming into say i find this super interesting. And it looks like I was incorrect in my earlier post about idsy'a r2pro. There were imbalance issues from the start.

Not so good.

We'll see if flare makes changes to future production versions but there needs to be a more reliable way to get the end caps and o rings installed as expected. Plus it would be good if the design didn't pinch the cable.

I personally think that a mountain is being made out of a molehill here.

You just make sure everything is sitting right inside the back of the housing then do up the end cap with a very loose grip until there is first resistance (as it touches the cable) and then choose a further degree of turn.

Is any fraction of variance on that method going to make a difference? Surely only if one is screwed in tight and the other not will make a difference.

There have been no technical tests here at all. For all we know, people who have heard an imbalance may well have an imbalance elsewhere e.g. the fit in their ear, how the tip sits, physical hearing imbalance. Unless it shows up as a regular and measured imbalance, I'm not convinced it's anything serious at all.

As for possible imbalances that ARE caused by one side being done up too tight, that can simply be human error as it is their first ever mass production run AND they were pushed for time to keep impatient people happy - could easily have just got some family or friends to help and they didn't fully follow the final set-up procedure. Who knows?

I guess though there's nothing to think about and chat about if everything is perfect!

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,819 of 3,098
Best way of making a prodution run more perfect is to use a moulded material like the ie800. All this milling of titanium is quite likely human error prone as is any item constructed like this and then put together by hand. I mean to say the milling part is automated so no more prone than a production line, but the hand assembly has error potential. But I'd prefer it that way than a unit which is sealed and can't open.

Grado over-ears are put together by hand aren't they? Wonder what their variance is like (although larger, over-ears must be easy to test for imbalances).

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,820 of 3,098
OK, finally those photos! Almost had a personal breakdown trying to find a micro usb cable...

These are the end caps although we've established they are the same, was my misreading of a post thinking they weren't:

Here are the end caps in the opposite earphone. See the thread is up against the cable but not yet squashing:

And again, back in their own earphones, the end caps up against the cable in both cases. See how again the gaps are the same on both:

You can click on the photos to see the full sized images.

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,821 of 3,098
Yes, James' internal thread theory is what I was hinting at. I screwed the R2Pro cap onto the R2A to highlight that the difference wasn't in the end cap, but rather perhaps the internals of the housing instead. Here's a shot of the R2A and R2Pro lined up. You can see that the dimensions of the housings are exactly the same (same length/width). One cap screws in quite flush with the housing (Pro) while one has a clear and visible gap (R2A)

Sorry for the crummy pics. No macro mode on iPhone :l

Try a great app called "Magnifying Glass with Light". Free with ads, $2.29 without ads (and with some extra features; I just upgraded). But my earlier picture of the internals was taken with the free version.

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,822 of 3,098

I personally think that a mountain is being made out of a molehill here.

You just make sure everything is sitting right inside the back of the housing then do up the end cap with a very loose grip until there is first resistance (as it touches the cable) and then choose a further degree of turn.

Is any fraction of variance on that method going to make a difference? Surely only if one is screwed in tight and the other not will make a difference.

There have been no technical tests here at all. For all we know, people who have heard an imbalance may well have an imbalance elsewhere e.g. the fit in their ear, how the tip sits, physical hearing imbalance. Unless it shows up as a regular and measured imbalance, I'm not convinced it's anything serious at all.

As for possible imbalances that ARE caused by one side being done up too tight, that can simply be human error as it is their first ever mass production run AND they were pushed for time to keep impatient people happy - could easily have just got some family or friends to help and they didn't fully follow the final set-up procedure. Who knows?

I guess though there's nothing to think about and chat about if everything is perfect!

I agree that this is no big issue. The cap can be easily adjusted.

However I did confirm the imbalance carefully, including swapping ears many times. It was there, and it was fixed by adjusting the cap tightness.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,823 of 3,098
with all the recent chatter on the R2Pro vs R2A, I personally think the sonic differences between the R2A and R2Pro are smaller than you might think. I was able to set up a blind test between the two and the differences are not as pronounced as I originally thought. would be cool to see other people with both to try it out.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #1,824 of 3,098
Complys!

I just installed the included large Tx200 tips. Isolation, comfort, perfect fit. It is hard to argue with it. But the bass was so huge that it was... stunning really. Quite enjoyable in its own way but also not right. So I took the R2PRO out of my ears and tightened both end caps right down as suggested by james444 and Idsynchrono_24. That is all the difference in the world. There is still lots of good fast bass but it is no longer overwhelming the mids. Everything opens right up. Thanks guys!

I still intend to roll tips, particularly when the Ostry arrive, but I now have a reference point.

The R2PRO is truly a fine IEM. I am pleased. :)

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,826 of 3,098
Complys!

I just installed the included large Tx200 tips. Isolation, comfort, perfect fit. It is hard to argue with it. But the bass was so huge that it was... stunning really. Quite enjoyable in its own way but also not right. So I took the R2PRO out of my ears and tightened both end caps right down as suggested by james444 and Idsynchrono_24. That is all the difference in the world. There is still lots of good fast bass but it is no longer overwhelming the mids. Everything opens right up. Thanks guys!

I still intend to roll tips, particularly when the Ostry arrive, but I now have a reference point.

The R2PRO is truly a fine IEM. I am pleased. :)

My R2PRO now. To the extent that there is a discernible gap, it is perhaps 0.1 of a milliliter.

Excellent... now everything falls into place and your experience mirrors Idsy's and mine. Just don't ever open them up again and look at the cables... :l

I agree, at minimum bass they're truly fine IEMs, among the best in timbre and soundstage / layering I've heard. I've spent about an hour switching between these and my modded FX850s today and couldn't pick a clear winner. That's saying something, because the latter (and the FX1100) have been my favorite phones for the last 6 months.

Fwiw, here's a quick list of their respective strengths, from my pov:

R2PRO:
  1. comfort
  2. isolation
  3. 3D feel / soundstage depth
  4. layering
  5. non-fatiguing
  6. timbre

FX850 (modded):
  1. openness
  2. soundstage width
  3. linearity
  4. clarity
  5. authority
  6. timbre

Overall the R2PRO's frequency response is little more uneven and they lack a bit in clarity and perceived detail in direct comparison to the modded FX850s. But on the other hand their slightly laid-back upper mids make them extremely non-fatiguing for long term listening. They also have an intriguingly layered 3D presentation with great depth, whereas the JVCs are wide and open, but more upfront and in-your-face. Timbre is a highlight on both phones, and both sound absolutely wonderful with classical music and acoustic instruments in general.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,827 of 3,098
I call that "bite", that reach out and touch sensation you get with acoustic instruments, and put it down to speed of the leading edge of sounds and inner parts of sounds.

So do you two feel that the rest of the sound improves when the end cap is tightened further, albeit with less bass?

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,830 of 3,098
Has anybody tried SpinFit tips? Just saw an advert and thought it could be interesting.

Yes, and the highs are still shrill.

Only Complys thus far work for me.

As I posted earlier, I tried SpinFits and all they do is roll off treble above 9kHz. The Flare's treble peaks are in the range from 6 to 8kHz, so they're not affected.

Better use alternate tips (e.g. Sony hybrids) that don't roll off treble and combine them with the teabag mod. This will give you fairly smooth and well-extended treble with silicone tips.

So do you two feel that the rest of the sound improves when the end cap is tightened further, albeit with less bass?

Preferences vary, but the only way my R2PROs sound like top-tiers is with fully sealed caps. However, be aware that the cable sheaths may get damaged by screwing the caps all the way down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back