FLAC to apple lossless? possible?
Oct 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

debitsohn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi i recently purchased an ipod touch and was wondering if theres an easy and free way to convert FLAC to apple lossless or if thats even possible?  would just converting it to 320 be better? i rather not because i like me my lossless.  any help would be greatly appreciated.
if this is an absolutely stupid question i apologize lol

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 13
What media player do you normally use for playing your FLAC files?

One strategy you could try is to convert a few albums to WMA-Losselss.  Import those files in iTunes (iTunes for Windows will read in and then transcode WMA-Lossless).  Then have iTunes transcode the WMA-Lossless to MP3 (or AAC) to put on the iPod Touch.

I haven't tried that configuration myself.  But should work, and worth a quick experiment.  WMA-Lossless is much more Windows friendly than trying to do ALAC on Windows.

I use J River Media Center and have J River convert my FLAC files to MP3 (Lame -V0) when syncing to my iPod Classic.  I actually prefer putting high quality lossy on a portable rather than lossless.  And trying to do ALAC on Windows is just too much of a PITA just for a stupid little iPod.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Windows: dBpoweramp
Mac: XLD

Used to use dBpoweramp but changed to XLD when I got a Mac. XLD is dead simple, drag and drop the FLAC files and they get converted to ALAC almost instantly. I don't remember how hard dBpoweramp was to use but I am sure it isn't much different. Hope this helps!

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 13
+3 dBPoweramp

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 13
I too believe in dBpowerAMP and it's wonderful batch converter. It's so easy it's almost fun. Not only that, but you can use the added bonus features to do additional processing during the conversion (like adding replay gain to each file). Oh, but it costs money. :frowning2:

Best $38 I've spent.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back