FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Mar 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #226 of 320
I've been enjoying the most recent beta version of FLAC Player, has anyone else here tried it? I especially like the gain reducer in the equalizer, without it most of my IEMs are way too loud even on the lowest volume. Now I dont have to plug in my Pico Slim just to get a comfortable volume.

I still would like to see a way to add songs from "Playing Now" directly to a playlist, and a way to delete individual files that are untagged in iTunes. Currently, all untagged files are grouped together in iTunes by the date they were added, so the whole folder has to be deleted if you want to remove a single file from that group.

Also, support of other lossless formats and MP3s would be convenient, so we can play our whole collection of music from one player, and not have to switch to the iPod player for MP3s and converted WV or APE files.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #227 of 320
Anyone having issues with distortion (crackling) using CCK, DAC and FLAC Player after updating the iPad firmware?  I'm trying to rule out a potential problem with my DAC (Fiio E17).  It worked perfectly until this morning.  I updated the iPad firmware last night but haven't used FLAC Player until this morning.  I tried ruling out everything from the USB cables, the powered USB port, etc. By trying LOD into E17, which basically bypasses the DAC portion of the unit, the noise goes away - that rules out the E17 amp, correct?  I tried playing the iPod interface on my iPad via the USB connection and the noise also goes away - that rules out the USB receiver - correct?  Tonight I will connect the E17 to my computer using Foobar and MediaMonkey to see if i get the crackle noise on hi-res files to rule out the higher resolution portion of the DAC.  Is this even needed?  It is all the same DAC, correct? 

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #228 of 320

Quote:
I've been enjoying the most recent beta version of FLAC Player, has anyone else here tried it?.

I am enjoying it and its many (yet to announced) extra functions.

happy_face1.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #229 of 320
I just loaded the new beta and it's running fine with the new firmware. The description said there was a change for the new IOS.

Anyone having issues with distortion (crackling) using CCK, DAC and FLAC Player after updating the iPad firmware?  I'm trying to rule out a potential problem with my DAC (Fiio E17).  It worked perfectly until this morning.  I updated the iPad firmware last night but haven't used FLAC Player until this morning.  I tried ruling out everything from the USB cables, the powered USB port, etc. By trying LOD into E17, which basically bypasses the DAC portion of the unit, the noise goes away - that rules out the E17 amp, correct?  I tried playing the iPod interface on my iPad via the USB connection and the noise also goes away - that rules out the USB receiver - correct?  Tonight I will connect the E17 to my computer using Foobar and MediaMonkey to see if i get the crackle noise on hi-res files to rule out the higher resolution portion of the DAC.  Is this even needed?  It is all the same DAC, correct? 

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #230 of 320

Quote:
I just loaded the new beta and it's running fine with the new firmware. The description said there was a change for the new IOS.

Do you know what the date is on the version of FLAC Player you are using?  Mine is version 1.2.1 updated 10/18/2011, and it appears to be the latest version available.  Since iOS 5.1 has just been released in the last week or so, I'm thinking the "change for the new IOS" was for iOS 5.0.

I don't see any Beta versions available.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, just to make sure, you are talking about FLAC Player for the iPhone, iPod, or iPad developed by Dan Leehr, and not the one developed by VSevenSoft, correct?

Thanks!!

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #231 of 320
Yes, it's Dan's player. No, it's not available yet, it's a beta version. We are testing it with him.

The point I was trying to make is if you are having trouble since upgrading hang in there because we are testing a version that works. Dan is pretty good at getting a working version out as soon as he has got the bugs fixed.

Sorry if I was a bit mis-leading.

Do you know what the date is on the version of FLAC Player you are using?  Mine is version 1.2.1 updated 10/18/2011, and it appears to be the latest version available.  Since iOS 5.1 has just been released in the last week or so, I'm thinking the "change for the new IOS" was for iOS 5.0.

I don't see any Beta versions available.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, just to make sure, you are talking about FLAC Player for the iPhone, iPod, or iPad developed by Dan Leehr, and not the one developed by VSevenSoft, correct?

Thanks!!

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #232 of 320
Sorry for the delay, but 1.3.0 is now live.  The big feature is a 10-band EQ, but there's some other enhancements/tweaks.
Fixed a number of bugs and the audio code has been rewritten.  If you encounter any problems, please see http://hammockdistrict.com/support for contact info.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #233 of 320
Does flac now sound better than aiff on the iPhone?  Apologies if this question has already been answered but I can't find it.

I know that the saving in file size is a big advantage, but just wondered in terms of absolute sound quality.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #234 of 320

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, but 1.3.0 is now live.  The big feature is a 10-band EQ, but there's some other enhancements/tweaks.
Fixed a number of bugs and the audio code has been rewritten.  If you encounter any problems, please see http://hammockdistrict.com/support for contact info.

Lovin it.

The new 10 band equalizer is a nice touch (although I prefer my flac unequalized anyway).

I would like to be able to see the bit rate for songs though.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #235 of 320
Sorry for not posting this sooner.

I have upgraded to the latest version of FLAC Player (1.3.0) and I am still having the same problem as I mentioned before - distortion on files higher in resolution than 24/48 using CCK and USB DAC (Fiio E17).

Another poster mentioned it could be a driver issue, meaning there were possibly driver changes when Apple updated the iOS to 5.1.

Has anyone else experienced distortion using FLAC Player for hi-res files (higher than 24/48) using a CCK and USB DAC since installing iOS 5.1?

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #236 of 320
Here is an update.

I updated to FLAC Player 1.3.1 and still have the same issue.  After updating, I even went as far as doing a restore on my iPad...to no avail.

I do have some good news.  I did get in touch with Dan Leehr.  He did see my original emails going back to the FLAC Player version prior to 1.3.0.  He was hoping the last two updates (1.3.0 and 1.3.1) would fix my problem.  Unfortunately they didn't, so he is looking further into my situation.  He was using a NuForce uDAC-2 for his testing of the iPad.

There is another Head-fi'er that is experiencing the same problem.  The only difference in our set-ups is a different model powered USB hub.

Any others using a Fiio E17 via iPad through CCK to powered USB hub to E17 that are experiencing distortion (a constant crackling sound) on their hi-res files using FLAC Player?

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #237 of 320
I'm using a FiiO E7 through connected CCK on 5.1 on the new iPad and no crackles for me.
I'm not using a USB hub though, which is possible if you turn of the "USB charge" option on the FiiO.

Playing a 24bit/96khz Rush track as we speak :wink:

Have you tried it without the USB hub?

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #238 of 320
Loving the App. I only have one problem that im currently facing, most of my FLAC files are Single file flacs paired with a *.cue file. Importing these produces with out a shock, one long ass song on my iPod. Any way to get around this issue?

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #239 of 320

I can confirm constant crackling through my iPad connected E17 when playing 24/96 and 24/192 flac files using the latest flac player

In both cases the E17 reports it is synced at 24/96.

I have no problems playing 24/48 flac files although the E17 says it is only synced at 16/48.

Further info:

I have no crackling problems playing the same files but using an E7 on the same rig.
The iPad is the new model (iPad 3)
Connection is via the CCK
A powered Belkin hub was needed to drive the E17 so was used with both E7 and E17
I have no crackling problems playing the same files through my E17 but using Capriccio

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back