FLAC or APPLE LOSSLESS?
Oct 23, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 47
Right now, I use both. I use EAC to rip to FLAC, then I put those on my backup server, then I convert that to ALAC for iTunes on my local machine. I also run backups on the local machine, so I'm considering just keeping the ALAC files in the future.

Either file format is fine in the end, since you can losslessly convert between the two if your needs change. Just takes time.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm completely happy with FLAC for my home rig, since I use a squeezebox as a transport hooked up via digital coax to my Kora Hermes II.

It's my music listening on-the-go that's causing me headaches.

Do some serious ABX'ing. You may find that lossless on your portable isn't worth it in the least, especially with background noise afoot. In this case, you can backup your FLAC collection to -V 2 mp3 as I do and live happily forever after with ALL media players and DAC's.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 47
FLAC. I will never get an iPod, so no need for ALAC. Plus, it's compatible with a wider range of PMP's.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

then click on dBpoweramp Music Converter. Does everything and does it fast. One month trial and then, less than $30.

Thanks for the link. The conversion was hassle free indeed (as well as maintaining the metadata). 41 seconds to convert my brandenberg concertos from flac to alac. Not too shabby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Do some serious ABX'ing. You may find that lossless on your portable isn't worth it in the least, especially with background noise afoot. In this case, you can backup your FLAC collection to -V 2 mp3 as I do and live happily forever after with ALL media players and DAC's.

I may just take this route. Lossless sure doesn't hold much on a 30gig dap.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 47
lossless is lossless, at least when it comes to sound. (and yes, i know there are those of you who say they can discern differences b/n lossless A vs. lossless B...but i don't buy it
wink.gif
)

but in your situation it depends on what you're using lossless for. if it's for actual listening, then ALAC is the way to go, especially since macs don't do FLAC very well.

for archival purposes FLAC would be easier to convert into more kinds of formats, but ALAC converts pretty well.

for an ipod unless you have a small library or a 160gb ipod classic, i'd go with some form of AAC, whatever bitrate you're happy with. my .02.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #22 of 47
Guys, if you have a Mac you can play FLAC files in iTunes with the Xiph quicktime components. You can also convert from FLAC to ALAC directly in iTunes.

Kind of a pain to import large batches of files, but it has been working nicely on my Mac for several months.

Anyone know if FLAC will be supported in Leopard?

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #23 of 47
I use mostly ALAC although I have a good deal of FLAC too. foobar has an ALAC plugin so I dont see the need to change the file format at the minute. Although I'll eventually re-rip my CDs one last time with EAC instead of the itunes importer.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, if you have a Mac you can play FLAC files in iTunes with the Xiph quicktime components. You can also convert from FLAC to ALAC directly in iTunes.

Kind of a pain to import large batches of files, but it has been working nicely on my Mac for several months.

Anyone know if FLAC will be supported in Leopard?

max works pretty well for the same thing.

And really doubt apple will support flac.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #25 of 47
FLAC, converts into anything, and is easier to store CD's.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #27 of 47
i listen to mp3 or aac but... i back up to apple lossless. i used to use cowon d2 but... in the end could not be bothered with all the hoops i had to go through to use the thing. i have fat man ipod nano now.

as for wider range. when the market is 55% ipod, alac is a great choice for other than ipod suffer... i mean shuffle.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #28 of 47
ALAC if you want to use it with an iPod is the only advantage. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, apart from .FLAC at highest compression having slightly smaller file sizes.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #29 of 47
I do!
Have been using Apple Lossless since I converted from FreeBSD to Mac OS X 3 1/2 years ago. Very pleased with its performance and software/hardware support

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

add to that the increased battery life using a lossy codec and the ability to carry more tunes and all the benefits of lossless fade into the smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back