FLAC or APPLE LOSSLESS?
Oct 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Agent Kang

500+ Head-Fier
Since iTunes does not support FLAC, I always have to go through the trouble of converting my FLAC into ALAC, which is both cumbersome and a waste of precious hard drive space.

I'm seriously considering converting and storing all my music into apple lossless. Anyone else here use Apple Lossless as their format of choice?

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 47
I use it because I have an iPod and a Macbook Pro - and I'm too lazy to use EAC etc.

ALAC does just as good, I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you use Rockbox or a different DAP?

I use neither. My computer is hooked up via digital coax to my receiver which has outdoor speakers hooked up to Speakers B. I like a good interface for family and friends to control the music outside, so I used to use iTunes. I now use Windows Media Center since installing Vista, both are based on my mp3 backup (I have album art for my entire music collection).

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use neither. My computer is hooked up via digital coax to my receiver which has outdoor speakers hooked up to Speakers B. I like a good interface for family and friends to control the music outside, so I used to use iTunes. I now use Windows Media Center since installing Vista, both are based on my mp3 backup (I have album art for my entire music collection).

I'm completely happy with FLAC for my home rig, since I use a squeezebox as a transport hooked up via digital coax to my Kora Hermes II.

It's my music listening on-the-go that's causing me headaches.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Mac and I use itunes and Apple lossless. I have never used any other codec, because I'm not smart enough to try anything else. Also, I'm pretty happy.

Could not have said it any better.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 47
its a pesonal choice, i used to keep flac and alac side by side, then i went all alac and then went all flac!

i now like the control over the compression level and fine tuning the tracks with flac

but i reckon i'm about due to go back to alac!
basshead.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to covert directly from FLAC to ALAC? Right now, the only method of conversion that I know of is FLAC->WMV->ALAC, but doing this means bye-bye to metadata.

You can use:

1-the search engine of Head-Fi
wink.gif

2-EAC
3-DBpowerAmp

regards,

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 47
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

then click on dBpoweramp Music Converter. Does everything and does it fast. One month trial and then, less than $30.

I took a great deal of files stored in .flac for my Transporter and converted them into .alac for my iMod.

It converts an album's worth from flac into alac in less than 30 seconds and they should be of equal quality.

No muss, no fuss! Stress free.

Also, forget about iTunes and use a free drag and drop program.

Drive space is cheap and getting cheaper or just delete your alacs from your hard drive when you finish transfering them.
You can reconvert them again if something ever goes wrong with your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back