FLAC=mp3=beter battery life?
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Great Sound

Head-Fier
hello there again.
I'm going to London on a vacation with the bus,dont't worry ive taken the nessesary steps(upgraded from a 4Gb philips gogear spark to a creative x-fi2 with 24Gb
biggrin.gif
)
But since on my last trip my battery died halfway (when playing FLAC files)Will converting my FLAC files to mp3(LAME V0)prolong the battery time in any way?
PS:I  will convert anyway because when playing FLAC files from the external microSDHC the player becomes slow and unstable when accesing other files.

Thanks for the answhers!

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 3
It probably won't make much difference. FLAC requires less "math" but moving more data. It would come down to the hardware and software in your player.

If you're worried about the battery dying, get yourself a cheapo "emergency USB charger". They're $3 on eBay. Just pop in two AA batteries and plug in your USB device. They won't charge a big smartphone or iPad, but it should work OK with most portable players. A step up are the portable rechargeable USB power packs.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
It probably won't make much difference. FLAC requires less "math" but moving more data. It would come down to the hardware and software in your player.

But the 'moving more data' part uses more power than the power saved via 'less math' :wink:
Even if we say that it doesn't, you still have the advantage of more songs in the same capacity with high quality lossy.

Convert to AAC instead of VBR -V0 Great Sound. Your player supports it and it's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back