FLAC files: What to listen for.
Oct 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Before I start this thread, I would like to affirm that this thread is not an attempt to argue over whether or not there is a difference between lossy and lossles. So please, leave it behind.

Anyway, I just did some ABX comparator tests with FLAC vs. V0 VBR MP3 files in foobar, and unfortunately was not able to hear a difference. I do believe there is one, however, and I am just curious as to what I should listen for in FLAC files. I understand that they are better, but what specifically sets a FLAC file apart from an MP3 (in terms of audible differences)?

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 10
Listen to bassy music. And pay attention to cymbals. Play on speakers, not headphones as I've found phones mask the music, and it's far more obvious on them.

Reason why I deleted all mp3's, even 320kps.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Probably you won't hear a difference between a .flac and a quality .mp3 (in my opinion). What you will gain is the peace of mind of having an exact backup copy of all of your CDs.

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 10
You don't hear differences on every track, in the best case there are only rare cases in your music collection.
Like iriverdude mentioned, listen to cymbals and other stuff going on in the treble region.

You could also re-encode the file using V2, 3 or higher (but not too high
tongue.gif
) and ABX, just to get an idea what to listen for.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 10
Your gear may simply not be resolving enough for you to tell. Not to mention, LAME has been in development for many years, so their VBR encoding is extremely good.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I start this thread, I would like to affirm that this thread is not an attempt to argue over whether or not there is a difference between lossy and lossles. So please, leave it behind.

Anyway, I just did some ABX comparator tests with FLAC vs. V0 VBR MP3 files in foobar, and unfortunately was not able to hear a difference. I do believe there is one, however, and I am just curious as to what I should listen for in FLAC files. I understand that they are better, but what specifically sets a FLAC file apart from an MP3 (in terms of audible differences)?

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not unfortunate that you can't hear it; it is a good thing. Now you can make compressed files for portable use and not experience a loss of quality in your listening. Be happy. Why teach yourself to hear artifacts in lossy codecs? What could possibly be gained by that?

P

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why teach yourself to hear artifacts in lossy codecs? What could possibly be gained by that?

P

Haha... I like that statement... It makes sense.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What could possibly be gained by ignoring the artifacts and other negative aspects of MP3 or other lossy codecs?

Why bother digitizing music at all? You can't accurately store analog waves in discrete form since you would need infinite number of samples (per Nyquist-Shannon) and because of the very nature of quantization, which in turn means that you are guaranteed artifacts in the reproduction of analog.

Point being, if there is no perceptible difference between the source and the encoded file, be happy. I'm fine with Uberstandard MP3s, but I acknowledge the value of FLAC as a format for making backups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back