Fishy-Fi
Mar 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #16 of 31
I had a 30 gallon mini-reef setup for a while, but the system crashed after 2 years running when some of my caulerpa (algae) went sexual and absorbed most of the oxygen from the water. Was a bummer, as most of my coral died along with one of my 2 year old clownfish.

On the upside, selling off all that equipment has allowed me to really delve into this hobby.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 31
I had a 30 gallon fresh water tank and a 70 gallon salt water tank. I gave up the salt water tank because it was too expensive. The coolest fish I had was a flounder.

I gave up the fresh water tank because I had too many hobbies and had to give up something.

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow nice tank and really interesting fish set ups

Thanks Gatto. I sold the 210 a few months back in anticipation of moving and gave away most of my fish, I'm currently down to just an algae infested 29 gallon that houses my niece's goldfish, one Cory and an Otto. As soon as I move im setting up an RO filter and probably doing a 75 gallon or smaller, CO2 injected soft water aquascape with some kind of dwarf chiclids.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #19 of 31
why did u name it 'fishy-fi' ..should be more like fishtank-fi..

because fishes are smthg we eat also..
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 31
Cory Catfish are good to put in with Bettas.
They help clean the bottom a bit.

I have 2 Bettas in separate 1/2 gallon bowls.
Both are males.

My sister has a blue crowntail female, and i thought of breeding them, but im not going to.
My males keep making bubbles though.
They always watch me when im sitting here on the pc. When i go anywhere near their food cans, they go nuts thinking im going to feed them...lol.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 31
Mine seems a little bored but I think he just needs to get use to me. He has been spending most of his time sitting in the plant I got for him. I'll hopefully be moving him to a bigger tank when I get home, one where I can get away with only partial water changes and give him a filter and a bubbler and a heater and all the other nice stuff that doesn't fit in this tank.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 31
Watch the filter/bubbler doesnt make the water turbulant at all. Not noisey or anything.

I feed mine 2 Betta pellets in the morning, then at night i give them some Betta flakes.
The female will also eat dried mosquito larvae, but the males i have wont eat it.

Sundays they fast. No food. In the wild they dont eat sometimes for 7 days at a time.
Its good to give them a rest sometimes and let them clean out.
Monday morning they eat a piece of the inside of a cooked pea. They cant eat the skins.
Peas clean them out. Then monday nite they get 2 Betta pellets.

I suck bottom dirt with a turkey baster during the week, and once a week they get a 3/4 water change.

I use PRIME water conditioner, and one drop of Acurel to keep water clear.

Theyre both happy and making bubbles and active.
biggrin.gif

I have vented covers on my bowls so they dont jump out.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #23 of 31
I had two salts. One 65 gal. reef and one 55 gal. fish only.

Way too expensive for someone who don't know the chemical properties and husbandry requirements of such animals. I learned by mistake and that was foolish and costly.

I kept the reef for about 5 years but lost it all on a power loss when I was out of town. I cried for the loss of life and swore never to be so cavalier about the creator's lives again. I would listen to my music and sit in front of that tank for hours. It was such a relaxing time.

People buy the salts because of some macho animals. I'd hear of eels jumping from the tanks, octopus being found behind the tank, anemones sucked into the return and overflowing the tank, bad critters coming in live rock that would eat your fish and small crustaceans. Salt is not for the casual.

Good luck to your new hobby.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #24 of 31
There are a bunch of bubble clusters on the top of the tank, not one big one but at least 10 clusters of 5-15 bubbles that have not popped all day. Did he make those? and if he did does that mean anything?

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had two salts. One 65 gal. reef and one 55 gal. fish only.

Way too expensive for someone who don't know the chemical properties and husbandry requirements of such animals. I learned by mistake and that was foolish and costly.

I kept the reef for about 5 years but lost it all on a power loss when I was out of town. I cried for the loss of life and swore never to be so cavalier about the creator's lives again. I would listen to my music and sit in front of that tank for hours. It was such a relaxing time.

People buy the salts because of some macho animals. I'd hear of eels jumping from the tanks, octopus being found behind the tank, anemones sucked into the return and overflowing the tank, bad critters coming in live rock that would eat your fish and small crustaceans. Salt is not for the casual.

Good luck to your new hobby.

Bummer man. I hate to hear the power outage horror stories when it comes to reef tanks. All those corals going under, not to mention the gorgeous fish. I may get back into the hobby someday, but it will be with a much larger tank. The more water, the less the water quality fluctuates.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

There are a bunch of bubble clusters on the top of the tank, not one big one but at least 10 clusters of 5-15 bubbles that have not popped all day. Did he make those? and if he did does that mean anything?

If theyre clusters of bubbles about the size of their eyes, then yes, they made them. Happy fish
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If theyre clusters of bubbles about the size of their eyes, then yes, they made them. Happy fish
smily_headphones1.gif

Yay
smily_headphones1.gif
there are a lot now, one side of the tank has a big long line of them and they're all over the plant

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Cory Catfish are good to put in with Bettas.
They help clean the bottom a bit.

A snail or two also works out great in a small filterless beta setup, a little lower bioload then another fish with the added benefit of eating algae too.

Quote:

I have vented covers on my bowls so they dont jump out.

Great advice! I learned the hard way when I had a blue and red male housed in their own tall square vases next to each other, I had a small piece of paper between them and when I would pull it out they would flare at each other quite beautifully.. one morning I woke up and found the blue betta had jumped INTO the red's vase and tore him up pretty badly.
frown.gif

Quote:

It's his bubble nest, bettas use them to lay their eggs. You will see him "kissing" the surface of the water then spitting out a bubble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #29 of 31
My bowls are all nice and clean. I cleaned them today. These fish are hungry all the time. If my hand goes anywhere near the food, they wiggle and freek out and get all happy...lol.

Ill feed them a few tiny flecks of BettaMin flakes as a treat just to keep them happy. I dont want to over feed them. Theyre not fat though. Theyre a good weight.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

My bowls are all nice and clean. I cleaned them today. These fish are hungry all the time. If my hand goes anywhere near the food, they wiggle and freek out and get all happy...lol.

Ill feed them a few tiny flecks of BettaMin flakes as a treat just to keep them happy. I dont want to over feed them. Theyre not fat though. Theyre a good weight.

Buster is starting to realize when the lid comes off the tank I'll be dropping food into it. How often should I change the water? it's a 1/2 gallon tank with two very small snails and buster in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back