Fisher Hearing Remolds -- A Very Frustrating and Costly Experience!
Jul 29, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 17

It almost sounds like one of your components is damaged.

WRT sending to UM, the upside is that UM does test the end result and sends you the graph to show you the result.  I recall seeing on the UM thread where in at least one case, UM contacted the person and told them their component was damaged. 

Of course, that might not help you unfortunately, but at least you know what the situation is.  In some cases UM can add drivers, and in some cases not.  At that point you at least have the option to buy one of their UM IEMs.

The testing was one of the things that led me to go with UM over Fisher when I had my Shure 530s re-shelled.

That said, I think what jleewach said is accurate.  We are taking the components from one enclosure and putting them in a totally different one, and to expect them to sound as good is probably not a realistic expectation.  In some cases the result is great, and in some, less so.

Of course, from what you describe, it really does sound like something more than that -- like something is broken, which would explain why them fiddling with it didn't fix anything.

It is a hard call.  Basically the re-mold is going to cost you $159 + shipping + impressions.  Add $100 and you could get some Live Wires.

You might also try to do some testing to see if the cables are attached correctly for phase.  It is possible they reversed the polarity of the plug.

-john

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 17
I have done it... I will certainly not do it again. They sent me back to get ears impression twice. They remolded my TF10 about 6 or 7 times. Even after that, the fit was just "ok" and the sound was not equal on each side but I gave up sending them back again. The bass sounded much better before.

They also broke my Luna silver cable when they plugged it in and they sent it to me like that. The plastic started cracking around the connectors after just a few weeks. Now, I year latter, there is corrosion in the connector on one side, I have no bass anymore on the other side...

They are just on the edge of my garbage bin.

I loved the TF10 as they were... I shouldn't have taken that risk.

I am now looking to buy another set of TF10 that will remain a TF10 this time.

I thought that at around 100$ this was cool... At the end it has cost me over 400$ (with the 200$ TF10 and many shipping) and I have nothing left.

Don't lose you money on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back