Fischer Silver bullet vs Munitio Teknine
Jan 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
Soundstage(separation)/sub bass/isolation.. how do they compare?

Does silver bullet fall out of your ears if you move since it seems pretty long..

Any other recommendations are welcome ~$150

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 15
For those aspects Silver Bullets, Hippo VB, HJE900s are good contenders. Forget the Munitios, heard they're horrible from reliable sources. 

Fit is the worst in the SBs among these 3, but they have the best isolation. Fit is the best with the Panasonics, but it's a bit worse than the others in isolation. 

Subbass wise: VB>HJE900=>SB (close)

In overall sound all are said to be v shaped. Only heard the Panasonics and SBs and I'll say that they're both technically close enough for the user to decide what's best. SBs are more balanced but the Panas have a more "fun", punchy, dynamic sound. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I can't speak for the for the Fisher but I own two pairs of the Munitio 9mm.   One in gold and one of the all black with microphone controller.

I was just at the NAMM trade show this weekend and stopped by the Monster booth to see if they were demoing the new Miles Davis Trumpets.  They were not out so even though I have heard most of their earphones before (ibeats, Diddy, Turbine, Turbine Pro and Miles Davis Tribute) I wanted to do some A/B against the my Munitio which have been my primary earphones of use for a few months now.

Pretty much except for the Miles Davis the Munitio blew all the others away.  I would put them somewhere between the Pro and the Davis.  Similar bass as the Pro but deeper with smoother highs like the Davis.

The Isolation fit on the 9mm are better also.  The design of that monster tip just seems to continually push it's way out.  The density of the munitio also seems to help.  They are the same size as the ibeats but much heftier.

For sub bass there is nothing else out there like the 9mm.  There is bass you hear and bass you feel.  The Munitio has the kind you feel.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 15
Looking at the Munitio threads - I can't help but feel that there's some cheesy viral marketing going on.  Members with low post counts comparing them favorably to top iems.  Others spamming the forums with deals - which conveniently give them $20 kickbacks.  Now that reliable reviews are coming out - I hope it'll be more obvious what the manufacturer is actually going for.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
For those aspects Silver Bullets, Hippo VB, HJE900s are good contenders. Forget the Munitios, heard they're horrible from reliable sources. 

Fit is the worst in the SBs among these 3, but they have the best isolation. Fit is the best with the Panasonics, but it's a bit worse than the others in isolation. 

Subbass wise: VB>HJE900=>SB (close)

In overall sound all are said to be v shaped. Only heard the Panasonics and SBs and I'll say that they're both technically close enough for the user to decide what's best. SBs are more balanced but the Panas have a more "fun", punchy, dynamic sound. 

what about the ie7 or fx-500? my top 3 priorities are soundstage/sub bass/isolation(enough for bus rides)

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 15
Yea I thought it was a little odd, there seemed to be a sudden very random outburst of threads regarding the teknine's where as I'd never heard of them before. 

Regarding the SB vs. The Pana's and your criteria

Soundstage: SB's are wider while the pana's are deeper, the height is about the same. 

Separation: The instruments are airier in the SB's but separation is very good on the Pana's, I would say in terms of noticeably identifying each instrument the Pana's are better

sub bass: Pana's have more but the SB is very good too

isolation: Depends on fit, I would say both were about  equal, the SB's are trickier to fit because of the bigger body, the Pana's get very good isolation with triple flanges

One other consideration should be build quality, the Pana's have detacheable and replaceable cables while the housing is rock hard. The SB's have good housing but very flimsy cables. 

In terms of my personal preference, I couldn't pick one over the other, each have their unique traits that make them winners. The pana's have a punchy musical sound while the SB's have a crystalline, airy quality. I gave the SB's away because an uncle preferred them over the DBA-02's I got him as a gift (fit issues). If FA improve the cable quality I can see myself getting another pair, at the price they sell at they are a steal. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Forget the FX500s because the isolation will be the worst among all the ones mentioned. The IE7s are pretty user friendly but the isolation is also lower than the Panasonics which has average isolation. The SBs isolation was better than the Panasonics in my experience and even though the cable is flimsy the newer revision is said to have a much better cable. Soundstage wise, the IE7 has a big soundstage compared to the Panasonics and SBs but the imaging is slightly inferior. You best bets are the SB/Panasonics/VB (in this order) imo. 

---Subbass: VB>>HJE900=>SB>IE7
---Isolation: SB=VB>HJE900>>IE7

(note VBs ratings are from reading rather than experience, but I'm pretty sure it's about right and thus it's included.)

Soundstage is tricky because there's lots of aspects to look for depth/width/height/imaging. I think this more subjective than the ratings above but imo

---Soundstage: IE7>SB>HJE900 but it's very close. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Looking at the Munitio threads - I can't help but feel that there's some cheesy viral marketing going on.  Members with low post counts comparing them favorably to top iems.  Others spamming the forums with deals - which conveniently give them $20 kickbacks.  Now that reliable reviews are coming out - I hope it'll be more obvious what the manufacturer is actually going for.

How does being a low count poster disqualify someones opinion?   I haven't tested or owned bulk of the earphones that get kicked around here but I've been an audio enthusiast before HF even existed.  First with car audio when I was young, then with home audio, and now mobile audio is of interest.  Though I've used HF as a reference for years I never saw the need to post.

New products bring in new opinions.  You don't have to 5000 poster for your opinion to be valid.  Sound is subjective.    I learned that worked in the film industry doing everything from mixing tracks to recording foley.   Clinical data helps in establishing a baseline but sound either draws out emotion or it doesn't.  That doesn't change wether you are professional reviewer or a first time poster.  In fact it is the reverse.  I would rather trust the ear of a music enthusiast who owns a few headphones then a serial equipment junkie any day.  

It seems like a lot people on here are just on a quest to have the most equipment and have their opinion heard the most.  They lost the point of what owning equipment is all about taking the time to enjoy what you are listening to.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 15
I don't think it was personally directed towards you specifically. I agree with his skepticism, but I don't think you're one of those advertisers. While others may have more experience your opinion is pretty much  just as strong because iem taste is subjective. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Yea I thought it was a little odd, there seemed to be a sudden very random outburst of threads regarding the teknine's where as I'd never heard of them before.

why would it be "odd" when it's obviously a brand-new product?  I think it's natural that people would start appearing on Head-Fi and asking questions when a new IEM starts generating a bit of buzz.  Honestly, not many of those posters struck me as "advertisers".  People were openly discussing flaws (e.g. the "thick" or "veiled" midrange) ....

Quote:
Now that reliable reviews are coming out - I hope it'll be more obvious what the manufacturer is actually going for.

I think we can put this to bed now since joker finally posted his "reliable" review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536116/review-munitio-teknine-siti-9mm-locked-loaded

His opinions essentially mirror mine -- great build quality, really comfortable, pretty good isolation, and a very "unique" sound signature.  Whether you will like them or not will depend on your tastes.  But certainly nowhere close to "horrible"!! 

I don't think ANYONE ever referred to them as "analytical" earphones, and if you lean that way (like joker) you would not want to own them... but as I've been saying all along, if you like a rich warm sound with big bass and smooth, non-fatiguing treble, you will love them.  I also agree they could do with a touch less of that "midrange veil" to make the sound a wee bit more open.... but anything can be tweaked a bit, and that's what EQ is for!

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 15
i never heard 9mm.  but i have to agree with polloloco, its very odd you see so many people worship them like they are so much better than the IEMs like turbine pros, ie8 etc

IMO i think is pretty normal for headphones or speakers which have that much bass to sound veiled,  but for $89? $159? do you realize is big money for a pair of headphones? 

at that price they shouldnt sound veiled.   vb is $80,  sb is $68, fischer audio eterna is $68,
from the reviews here i would definately try all of these before i even consider buying 9mm

coming from portapro , i know how annoying it is when a pair of headphones sounds veiled,  i can not see why someone would prefer 9mm veiled sound over the turbine gold, this idea is just insane to me

i dont believe the 9mm is on the same bar with my turbine gold pure sound and bass wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back