Fischer DBA-02 MKII - Impressions and review thread: CK10 threatened!
Mar 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #137 of 400

Quote:
Clarity is a problem on the B2?  I've never had a problem w/ clarity on the B2 or DBA-02, that's always one of their strengths compared to most other phones out there.  Clarity is near on par w/ my UERM, HD800 and SA5000.  Were you using the same tips on both B2 and Mk2?  The B2 lacks controlled bass?  Maybe I'm missing something in the semantics.

Lack of clarity and uncontrolled bass is the opposite of what I heard on the B2s...  Unless they were listening to super-Etymotics before hand that had ultra-recessed mids (more than normal), then nothing should sound that way with the B2 :p

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #138 of 400

Quote:
Could be different tips and the fit working their "magic".

Actually sounds more like two phones w/ different crossovers interacting w/ a high output impedance from a DAP or amp.  Reminds me of the poor FR you get from improperly driving the TF10.  My guess is fit and tips too.  
wink.gif

Have we confirmed mk1 and mk2 have the same specs?

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #139 of 400

Quote:
Clarity is a problem on the B2?  I've never had a problem w/ clarity on the B2 or DBA-02, that's always one of their strengths compared to most other phones out there.  Clarity is near on par w/ my UERM, HD800 and SA5000.  Were you using the same tips on both B2 and Mk2?  The B2 lacks controlled bass?  Maybe I'm missing something in the semantics.

No, they don't clarity, I meant to say the DBA-02MKII has more clarity than what it already has. The B2 doesn't lack controlled bass, but they lack the decay which is kinda too fast for me. Which in turn makes the DBA-02MKII sounds more realistic and natural. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #140 of 400
Quote:
No, they don't clarity, I meant to say the DBA-02MKII has more clarity than what it already has. The B2 doesn't lack controlled bass, but they lack the decay which is kinda too fast for me. Which in turn makes the DBA-02MKII sounds more realistic and natural. 

I disagree. I feel the Mk II has inferior damping characteristics, giving some woofing resonances to some notes, analogous to using violin strings of lower quality versus top-of-the-line violin strings.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #141 of 400

Quote:
I disagree. I feel the Mk II has inferior damping characteristics, giving some woofing resonances to some notes, analogous to using violin strings of lower quality versus top-of-the-line violin strings.

Well, I just find the B2s to have something in the highs that make it a little annoying to listen to. It's not the kind of "ear-piercing" highs, but there is some part that makes it feel kinda weird, therefore, I feel the MKII has better clarity. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #142 of 400
Quote:
Well, I just find the B2s to have something in the highs that make it a little annoying to listen to. It's not the kind of "ear-piercing" highs, but there is some part that makes it feel kinda weird, therefore, I feel the MKII has better clarity. 

How did you wear the B2? The original design is definitely more difficult to wear, and is extremely sensitive to angle of insertion. An extremely deep fit is the best way to combat 'harsh highs' on the DBA-02/B2. It's not as big a problem with the MKII because it's so tiny.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #143 of 400

Quote:
How did you wear the B2? The original design is definitely more difficult to wear, and is extremely sensitive to angle of insertion. An extremely deep fit is the best way to combat 'harsh highs' on the DBA-02/B2. It's not as big a problem with the MKII because it's so tiny.

I see, I wore it over the ears, but not sure if I did a deep insertion. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #144 of 400
I got my MKII last week. I used to have the original DBA-02 but the cable broke about 4 months ago and I had to wait for them to send the new MKII to me.

Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but it sounds to me that the bright highs have been tuned down a bit, notes seem a bit thicker, bass sounds the same, and it sounds less airy as well.

Don't take my word for it though.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #145 of 400

Quote:
I got my MKII last week. I used to have the original DBA-02 but the cable broke about 4 months ago and I had to wait for them to send the new MKII to me.

Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but it sounds to me that the bright highs have been tuned down a bit, notes seem a bit thicker, bass sounds the same, and it sounds less airy as well.

Don't take my word for it though.

What you said are more or less true. Though the bass is improved with more decay and naturalism :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #146 of 400
Perhaps naturalism is akin to smooth? I don't find any problem with bad violin sounding strings sound. The MKII is smooth for sure, and that is why it is probably my favourite earphone for jazz. The FX500 was a favourite, but its grainy treble is rough. The DBA MKII is excellent, but I find it best with soft tips, though the included hybrids are very good as well.

Sorry, I've been away.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #148 of 400

Quote:
Perhaps naturalism is akin to smooth? I don't find any problem with bad violin sounding strings sound. The MKII is smooth for sure, and that is why it is probably my favourite earphone for jazz. The FX500 was a favourite, but its grainy treble is rough. The DBA MKII is excellent, but I find it best with soft tips, though the included hybrids are very good as well.
Sorry, I've been away.

I think naturalism as in more akin to "real life". The DBA-02MKII certainly sounded more real than the Brainwavz B2 that sounded fake to me. But it IS pretty smooth. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #149 of 400

Quote:

Yup. And to reiterate what has been said before, without a deep insertion and good fit, you won' tbe able to fully appreciate this type of IEM. I use trimmed Comply's (P-series) and that's how I'm able to achieve that 'perfect seal'.
The absolute most negative thing I can say against the sound of the DBA-02 (MKI) or B2 is that under certain rare circumstances they can sound the slightest bit sterile or metalic. But it's barely perceptable, and they otherwise produce a great tonal range and neutral overall sound. They will do justice to great recordings and will expose any issues of compression artifacting or poor mastering.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #150 of 400
I think that's the risk neutral IEMs face, the fact that sometimes they can sound harsh due to certain recordings. You pay that price for trying to get the most out of recordings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back