Fischer Audio FA-011s Vs. Grado SR80i
Oct 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

comicguy5

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of FA-011s and I was looking for a worthwhile upgrade. I was looking into Grado in general and the SR80i kinda popped out to me. Then there's the SR125i - are they better than the SR80i? I really like my 011s, so how does the sound signature compare? Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

To truly "upgrade" from the FA-011 will take a substantial budget frankly. If you just want a different sound, then anything can happen there. I wouldn't consider anything from SR60i to SR325i an upgrade to the FA-011, and I have all three. I lump the FA-011's in with mid-tier priced stuff. So again, maybe consider what you're looking for. Something truly better or something that just sounds different.

Very best,

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, since I can't afford anything above $200 as of now, I guess I am just looking for a different sounding headphone, like you said. Since you have them, what can you tell me about the Grado SR80i and SR125i? 

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Well, since I can't afford anything above $200 as of now, I guess I am just looking for a different sounding headphone, like you said. Since you have them, what can you tell me about the Grado SR80i and SR125i? 

My opinion on Grados is that there's very little reason to get anything more than the SR60i with Lcush pads. I don't think spending another $220 to go to the top of the prestige line increases the sound quality in a way that makes it worth while. I did it just to compare and found it to be pretty much too similar. It doesn't mean they're bad, it just means the SR60i is that good even though it's the base model. SR60i with Lcush new runs $100 basically. It's an excellent headphone. I personally felt like the SR325i was not much of an upgrade. It had slightly smoother sound, a wee bit less congestion, but ultimately, didn't sound like $300 compared to $100 to me. Sounded like a miniscule, very small, difference that could have even simply been manufacture difference. I just chalk it up to the housing of the drivers. I'd get the SR60i's and later get a wood enclosure for them. The SR60 drivers are excellent.

Very best,

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Are you sure there isn't that much of a significant difference between the SR60i and the SR80i and the SR125i? It would only make sense that there was.

Quote:
My opinion on Grados is that there's very little reason to get anything more than the SR60i with Lcush pads. I don't think spending another $220 to go to the top of the prestige line increases the sound quality in a way that makes it worth while. I did it just to compare and found it to be pretty much too similar. It doesn't mean they're bad, it just means the SR60i is that good even though it's the base model. SR60i with Lcush new runs $100 basically. It's an excellent headphone. I personally felt like the SR325i was not much of an upgrade. It had slightly smoother sound, a wee bit less congestion, but ultimately, didn't sound like $300 compared to $100 to me. Sounded like a miniscule, very small, difference that could have even simply been manufacture difference. I just chalk it up to the housing of the drivers. I'd get the SR60i's and later get a wood enclosure for them. The SR60 drivers are excellent.

Very best,

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Are you sure there isn't that much of a significant difference between the SR60i and the SR80i and the SR125i? It would only make sense that there was. 

I'm $500 sure after buying the SR60i & SR325i together with both L-cush pads and G-cush pads.

It doesn't have to make sense. It's a luxury novelty hobby. You pay for things that may or may not exist in a perceivable form that is appreciable.

It's just my opinion, mind.

But I did not feel that the higher end prestige line Grados were worth the increased price tag. The SR60i performs good enough to where I felt like spending an additional $220+ was not worth it at all. And there was not real point testing anything in between the lowest and highest of the prestige line in my book. I've listened to a few of them, and most of them just sound too similar to me to bother with so many models and increased prices. An SR60i with Lcush pads for $100 is pretty much as much Grado as I would recommend to anyone unless they want high end Grado and want to spend $500~1K for a different sound.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back