Fischer Audio Fa-011 VS Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Oct 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gmork

Head-Fier
Hi there,
I would really like direct comparisons between these 2 cans.  I was also considering M50's but I've heard these two cans put them to shame. I have extremely varied musical tastes and will be using these for gaming, so I'd like information based on which is the best general set for overall performance and SQ.  Punchy bass is an absolute must, so is good sound staging.  

Basically i've heard they're both great cans, but I need something to push me over the fence on either one.  Right now I'm slightly leaning towards the Fa-011's because of the price difference.

Also, do they need to be amped?  I've heard varying opinions.  

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

They're quite similar. The Fischer has the edge on mids and price. Basically, I would go with the one you think looks nice, you'll end up liking either one I bet. Both have good sound stages, good bass, etc. Again, the Fischer has more mids. And the Beyer can have brighter highs at high volume.

As for 160ohm vs 250ohm, it makes very little, if any, perceivable difference unless you're plugging them into a cellphone. Since you're into gaming, you're using a sound card, and even soundcards from 10 years ago pushed 250ohm headphones just fine (I had a pair of Sennheiser HD580's plugged into run of the mill creative labs sound cards a decade ago even). It'll be fine. Just get a headphone. You don't need a $100 amp to go with it.

The Fischer will take some time to get to you. Be prepared to wait a good month for them to get to your house from Russia (unless you live in EU or RU anyways).

Very best,

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 13
Thank you for the reply.

I'm ordering the FA-011's right now.  I unfortunately do NOT have a DAC-I do own one but creative no longer makes drivers for it so it's essentially bricked.  All I have is onboard sound for now, though the onboard from my mobo is actually pretty decent.

Am I going to run into problems driving this thing, do you think?

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

I'm ordering the FA-011's right now.  I unfortunately do NOT have a DAC-I do own one but creative no longer makes drivers for it so it's essentially bricked.  All I have is onboard sound for now, though the onboard from my mobo is actually pretty decent.

Am I going to run into problems driving this thing, do you think?

Heya,

I doubt you'll have any issue. The only thing that might come up, is noise from the motherboard/fans/etc that you might hear during quiet moments. But for driving it? You should be fine. You can always get a Xonar DG for $30 later if you're really feeling like you need to do something (and gain Dolby Headphone for games/movies).

Very best,

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 13
Hiya malveux. It's interesting you say that these headphones don't need an amp. I read so many conflicting opinions on this forum, people always saying how need to spend money on good amps with any heaphones over 100ish ohms to get the best out of them. I am also interested in the headphones that the Op mentioned (plus others) but the impedance conrcened me because of what other members are saying. Will these headphones sound the same with or without an amp? Thanks.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 13
I OWN THE FA-O11 AND THEY ARE AWESOME. MY HEADPHONES TOOK ABOUT 43 DAYS TO GET HERE BUT WERE WELL WORTH THE WAIT. THE ARE GOOD WITH GAMING, MOVIES, JAZZ, ROCK, R&B, ETC. THE BASS IS RICH AND DEEP, THE SOUNDSTAGE IS WIDE. SIMPLY AWESOME.....

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I OWN THE FA-O11 AND THEY ARE AWESOME. MY HEADPHONES TOOK ABOUT 43 DAYS TO GET HERE BUT WERE WELL WORTH THE WAIT. THE ARE GOOD WITH GAMING, MOVIES, JAZZ, ROCK, R&B, ETC. THE BASS IS RICH AND DEEP, THE SOUNDSTAGE IS WIDE. SIMPLY AWESOME.....

43 days?! I get overwhelmed with anticipation of my delivery just after 1 day. How are you finding the headphones? More specifically what is the bass like? Is it headphones vibrating bass that will get you dancing or is it just strong bass that has presence but doesn't really sound fun (if that makes sense). Also what do you use it with? 

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
It's interesting you say that these headphones don't need an amp.

It depends on a number of factors, such as how good the "unamplified" source is to begin with, the sensitivity of the headphones, the preferences of the listener regarding loudness, the dynamic range of the material being listened to (classical, rock, etc.), and others. Also, the difficulty of driving high and low impedance headphones is often over- and underestimated on the forums, respectively.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
43 days?! I get overwhelmed with anticipation of my delivery just after 1 day. How are you finding the headphones? More specifically what is the bass like? Is it headphones vibrating bass that will get you dancing or is it just strong bass that has presence but doesn't really sound fun (if that makes sense). Also what do you use it with? 

The bass on the DT 900 is sinificantly more fun then the FA-011. The sound stage and lush velvety sound is what is impressive on the FA-011. I like them, but hate the pads with a passion.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
The bass on the DT 900 is sinificantly more fun then the FA-011. The sound stage and lush velvety sound is what is impressive on the FA-011. I like them, but hate the pads with a passion.

Dam you have a lot of headphones. Is that list the one you currently own or all the ones you've ever had. I was interested in 2 headphones FA-011 and the DT770 but I might be interested in the DT990's as well. Would you mind explaining the differences in terms of bass quantity/impact and fun factor, with sources such as movies/games and pop/rock and music with synthesised sounds. Or better yet if you've posted any personal reviews I'd be interested to read them.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Dam you have a lot of headphones. Is that list the one you currently own or all the ones you've ever had. I was interested in 2 headphones FA-011 and the DT770 but I might be interested in the DT990's as well. Would you mind explaining the differences in terms of bass quantity/impact and fun factor, with sources such as movies/games and pop/rock and music with synthesised sounds. Or better yet if you've posted any personal reviews I'd be interested to read them.

Those are ones I currently own, I am a bit of a collecter of audio gear.
Sound is subjective, but in my opinion the DT770s and the FA-011 are much different and really depend on what you are looking for. The DT770 is a closed can with a small soundstage as compared to the FA-011s very wide soundstage. The DT770s are bass heavy (80 ohm) and bit muddy. The FA-011 are not very comfortable, but sound very plush and have a very nice signature sound. They are not basshead cans but do have decent bass. The DT 990s are a love it or hate it sound. The 990s have awsome subwoofer type bass and are great for movies. They have a very recessed midbass and a bright treble. The soundstage is not as wide as the FA-011, but they are ridiculously comfortable and can be worn all day.  I use tube amps with my 990s and I really enjoy the way different tubes warm the mids on them and softens the treble.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Those are ones I currently own, I am a bit of a collecter of audio gear.
Sound is subjective, but in my opinion the DT770s and the FA-011 are much different and really depend on what you are looking for. The DT770 is a closed can with a small soundstage as compared to the FA-011s very wide soundstage. The DT770s are bass heavy (80 ohm) and bit muddy. The FA-011 are not very comfortable, but sound very plush and have a very nice signature sound. They are not basshead cans but do have decent bass. The DT 990s are a love it or hate it sound. The 990s have awsome subwoofer type bass and are great for movies. They have a very recessed midbass and a bright treble. The soundstage is not as wide as the FA-011, but they are ridiculously comfortable and can be worn all day.  I use tube amps with my 990s and I really enjoy the way different tubes warm the mids on them and softens the treble.

Hmm, I was hoping the FA-011 would have more bass than that. I'm not an expert but if I were to describe my sennheiser HD558 I'd say they were balanced and very boring. I've plugged it into my denon receiver and the bass does improve a lot but it's still very dreary. The advantage of having a headphone that doesn't have bass as a focus is that you can hear little nuances you couldn't hear before, but I'm not really picking up anything I didn't pick up before. I need a fun headset to allow me to enjoy my music rather than analyse it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Hmm, I was hoping the FA-011 would have more bass than that. I'm not an expert but if I were to describe my sennheiser HD558 I'd say they were balanced and very boring. I've plugged it into my denon receiver and the bass does improve a lot but it's still very dreary. The advantage of having a headphone that doesn't have bass as a focus is that you can hear little nuances you couldn't hear before, but I'm not really picking up anything I didn't pick up before. I need a fun headset to allow me to enjoy my music rather than analyse it.

The Fa-011s are not bass light they just are not what I expected. Try the D-2000, they are fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back