Fischer Audio Eterna - holy crap
Aug 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #46 of 96
It seems like I'll need to get something in between my Eterna and RE-Zero. I imagine my Livewires could be something like that when they get back from a refit although they do sound much better than either. When I go from the Eterna to the Zero or the other way around it's too much of a sound change to enjoy the other earphone when coming from the first. These are still enjoyable however especially the midrange. The bass can be a bit overwhelming at times and be a bit too much so it sounds a bit boomy. I do find it a bit amusing that as someone who prefers BA over dynamics all of my universals are dynamic although my Livewires are BA so I guess that will have to do.

Also driver flex is a sound that you get when you push in the earphones in your ear that is caused from pressure on the driver. It happens a lot with dynamic driver earphones especially cheaper ones. It doesn't mean damaged earphones but it's just something a lot of dynamics have. It's certainly less than my Coppers and it's really not an issue here.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #48 of 96
I don't have to worry as I have a very good idea of what I'm getting next but my wallet has lots to worry about :) It would be around double my next most expensive audio purchase :p

I am enjoying the music but I don't like having to adjust to the different sound when switching between earphones which is why I'd rather have something in the middle.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #49 of 96
It's hard to find something you're just happy with.  There's not a lot of earphones you plop on and just go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Hey rawrster, if you've never used a Triple.Fi 10 before, it might be something you'd like.  It's hard to think of something between the RE-ZERO and Eterna.  They are a bit different from each other.  Certain options might exist depending on which aspects you want to keep from each.  I kind of see the Triple.Fi 10 has a great earphone that has both excellent sound quality plus fun factor.  It's one of the few products I've used that is just fun playing pretty much everything.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #50 of 96

Quote:
I think I'm finally starting to understand what the Eterna is about. It's pretty enjoyable and they are pretty comfortable and more comfortable than the DBA-02 since I have to use ear guides on them. I've been using triple flanges and don't think I'm going to bother with other tips. I wish their isolation is better but I can't complain much since there is that venting hole (I'm assuming that's what it is for) in the back of the housing.

edit: The Eterna sound amazing to me with my usb dac/amp. I've been playing some Deep Purple, ACDC, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pink Floyd and it sounds great with all of it. While they aren't the most accurate or the most detailed or have the biggest stage or technically up there with the best the way the Eterna just blends everything is pretty special. Now if I could ever fall asleep with earphones on at night and not just on the bus or subway these would be used for that.

Have you tried the SB with similar music? Don't you think that would be more suited for pink floyd? I would hate pink floyd to have thick bass.. the only concern I have with SB is the SB might sound distant due to their huge soundstage as per reviews?

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #51 of 96

Quote:
It's hard to find something you're just happy with.  There's not a lot of earphones you plop on and just go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Hey rawrster, if you've never used a Triple.Fi 10 before, it might be something you'd like.  It's hard to think of something between the RE-ZERO and Eterna.  They are a bit different from each other.  Certain options might exist depending on which aspects you want to keep from each.  I kind of see the Triple.Fi 10 has a great earphone that has both excellent sound quality plus fun factor.  It's one of the few products I've used that is just fun playing pretty much everything.

Well I do except I haven;t been able to listen to them due to fit issues so won't get them back in a couple weeks. I think I might try to EQ these a bit with my clip+. I would do my computer as well but that's a pain since I would have to use a different player and I'm not doing that just to EQ them.

I have tried a TF10 before and the sound wasn't for me and the fit was a pita. It's easily the worst I've tried in terms of fit but of course others haven't had issues.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #52 of 96
I can attest that the SB is not distant at all, their soundstage is pretty big but nothing enormous that will lead to distantness. I'll say that it's like sitting in the front row of a concert. Overall they seem musically balanced, thought i'm not sure about it's balance on a technical standpoint. The bass is deep and impactful (prefer it to the MTPC) the mids seem pretty neutral if not a bit forward but have good detail. The treble doesn't extend as much as the RE0s or M1s but they do it just about right imo (cymbals sound very clean and natural). I stopped using them for a while but reused them again to find they go toe-to-toe with a lot more expensive iems i have in my sig.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #53 of 96
Can someone who has both please compare the "isolation" of the eternaV2 and the RE0? I'm looking to pick one or the other up but I want it to shut out a lot of the external noise. I plan to use while flying/bussing/training and want to block out screaming kids/inconsiderate passengers.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #54 of 96
I have the V1 and the RE-Zero but build wise they are pretty much the same so should offer the same isolation. I use triple flanges on both and they both offer good isolation. For the most part it will block out most but not all. If you want absolute silence an Etymotic is the way to go but with music on  you shouldn't be able to hear most.

edit: these still sound great! I was thinking I would sell it in about 2-3 weeks but don't think that will happen.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #56 of 96
I found that the clear MEElectronic tips work great on the Eterna's. I'm using the single flange one's right now and they provide a great seal and are very easy to put in. Also, they are more firm than the original Eterna tips which felt, like choobincanada, were too soft and squishy.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #57 of 96
The fact that they are soft and squishy means they can stay in for hours and your ears wont get tired. They provide enough isolation for say, normal conversation levels. If there are people around you, you will hear them. Also, the eterna is a lot louder than other iems, so you might get the perception of good isolation, when in fact the music is drowning out other sounds.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #58 of 96
They really aren't louder than any of my earphones. If anything they might need a bit more volume on my dap to reach the same volume level as my other earphones but it's not by much. They are pretty average in terms of how loud they can get. Their isolation is pretty average imo.It's about the lowest amount I can accept for my commute. However I'm using triple flanged tips which provide better isolation than other tips. I tried the M9 tips but didn't like the biflanges as much since driver flex was louder with those tips.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #59 of 96
So they may or may not have good isolation, depending on the tips I get? sigh. I was really hoping to just buy em on ebay -> get them -> enjoy. Might end up just getting some closed cans.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #60 of 96
Well if they are good enough for me they should be good enough for everyone. I have higher isolation requirements than most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back