Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Oct 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #451 of 2,161
Sorry, I don't have original Complys here anymore (they wear off quickly) and my attempt to cut DIY foams to the right length were unsuccessful and either created even harsher treble or cut off the treble extension. I am guessing the bi-flanges have a similar effect. Maybe. I don't know.

Quote:
  You seem to have a unique view here regards your sound preference and it's application to the Fischers.

This might very well be the case and I personally have no problem with it. It doesn't hurt to throw in an additional opinion, though, right? 
redface.gif

Finally from what i understand of your opinion, it seems the fa 4e   are average iems.

No, they are above average! They are very good! But do you guys seriously think they are much better than the Triple.Fi 10 apart from comfort?
Based on all the enthusiasm I thought I have overlooked something on my first audition but I still can't find it. Doesn't mean it's not there, only that my brain works differently.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #452 of 2,161
Ultrazino, OMG, so you find FA4 being more or less TF10, ... I had TF10 which was just fun IEM but never natural and never impactfull, i sold it with light heart and never regretted despite admitting TF10 was just good enough but not anywhere near H200 and far far beyond ASG2. Curious....

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #453 of 2,161
I have Bi-Flanges, too. The sounding with complys or the Fischer Amps foam tips are quite different.
For me the FA-4 is a much more better IEM than the dry sounding TF10.
Providing that foamies are installed.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #454 of 2,161
i've never heard the tf10 but considering the um3x, sm3 and ex 1000 are better than the tf10 at least is the consensus around here i still find the fa 4e a tier above those...in fact yesterday i used 20 minutes  my ex 1000 with the same custom tips then i switched back to the fa 4e and found a significant different in sq between those while the ex 1000 are a very well regarded iem as everybody knows

I agree with Burtonchell try some complys t500 in medium i didn't like the sound of the silicones included in the package or the other silicone tips i have from my ex 1000 and mh1c.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #455 of 2,161
Too bad about the Complys. I don't feel like ordering new pairs because I dislike Comply anyway. I will just have to trust you that it improves the sound, but I seriously have my doubts that they can turn the FA4 into the holy grail. 
wink.gif

Quote:
you find FA4 being more or less TF10

It's been years since I last heard the TF10 which I bought twice and sold twice. I do not claim they sound alike but they trigger the same emotions for me.
I remember back then how I said that I have problems connecting to the music when using TF10. I always felt like I was paying attention to the IEM instead of the music. I perceived the music as a picture cut into very thin bars and then put back together. Really difficult to explain but my imagination works like that. 
wink.gif

Either way, it's good to have a big selection of many IEMs to choose from. The standard quality has definitely improved from all manufacturers.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #456 of 2,161
I haver to agree with Kurt after listening to many IEMs. I am not as good as you guys in describing sound but I trust my ears and FA-4 stands above them all and can easily be compared to more expensive stuff like IE800. Never auditioned SD2 though.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #457 of 2,161
   I always felt like I was paying attention to the IEM instead of the music. I perceived the music as a picture cut into very thin bars and then put back together. Really difficult to explain but my imagination works like that. 
wink.gif

that could happens easily with monitor type iems like the um3x with very narrow soundstage and out of this world separation (i love the um3x with custom tips) it's more like a tool than a comercial iem they could sound a bit unnatural but that's not the case of the fa 4e with it's great imaging-soundstage it's separation is as good as the um3x but the spacious soundstage make the sound not congested or the instruments coming from everywhere than from the same place, at least is my opinion

It's not a competition between iems it's that having all the iems I've said i have (i really don't care about brands) the amps simply do  more things better than those while they are not perfect as any iem is. But been priced at more or less the same as the others to me they are a quite better deal

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #458 of 2,161

So here it is my new fiio rc as you can see it looks pretty good, compared to the stock cable it adds more transparency a bit more punch in the bass and a bit wider soundstage. it still reminds to the stock cable soundsignature but improved.

For about 30 $ it's the best rc quality-price I've tried, highly recommendable. Thanks Carlsan for your recommendation!

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #459 of 2,161

For about 30 $ it's the best rc quality-price I've tried, highly recommendable. Thanks Carlsan for your recommendation!

Your welcome!

I have to agree with Kurt after listening to many IEMs. I am not as good as you guys in describing sound but I trust my ears and FA-4 stands above them all and can easily be compared to more expensive stuff like IE800. Never auditioned SD2 though.

I have to agree, I did compare them to the SD3's, and I liked the Amps better. As Eke has my amps for his ASG-2 comparison review thread, I can't really comment except from going from my notoriously bad memory. I do recall that the Amps  handled bass better and just seemed to have a fuller more mature sound. The SD3's did know how to slam, and are themselves quite a good earphone.  
Still, the Amps handled the low end better with better extension and no bleeding on to the mids. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #460 of 2,161
  Still, the Amps handled the low end better with better extension and no bleeding on to the mids. 

True, BUT...

Today I have equalized both - FA4 and SD3 - down to what I consider neutral.
Firstly, I like the the Fischer Amps A LOT more with less sub-bass and less forward highs! And I do mean much better. I was grooving to Dave Brubeck like I seldom do. And since I "removed" the "frame" of which I talked earlier, which is some sort of subconscious misinterpretation in my head, I found the soundstage also to be very wide.

Equalizing the SD3 down to neutral takes a lot of depth away, but it doesn't quite appear as "flat" as the FA4 (sorry for bad wording, neither SD3 nor FA4 appear flat, just in comparison to stock tuning). There is still more of a 3D feel.
What I think where the big soundstage of StageDiver comes from, is that silence appears to be pitch black. I am not sure how to describe it, but it feels like there is some huge space waiting to be filled. Silence is perceptible. This might be a mind thing, but I wonder if somebody else feels the same.

Finally, the FA4 is a detail monster! But with the Carl Orff recording linked earlier, Chris Jones - Moonstruck and Maria Kordama playing Beethoven's piano sonata no. 14, the SD3 still has better resolution - no matter if I concentrate on the lows, mids or highs. It's not much and this should not be a reason to buy alone.

Both are great, take whichever sounding you prefer. I have given my personal opinion before, which should not matter to most of you, though.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #461 of 2,161

Both are great, take whichever sounding you prefer. I have given my personal opinion before, which should not matter to most of you, though.

Thanks ultrazino, I certainly agree that both are great. The FA4's do have a ton of detail, glad you mentioned that as well.

cheers

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #462 of 2,161
Wow zino I'm quite surprised with your new impressions, and glad that you finally liked  the fa and found a bit of the good as we find on them.

Anyway I'm fine with their tunning and the sub bass quantity but not for everyone i guess.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #463 of 2,161
another incredible song by oneothrix point never, daniel lopatin is probably one of the best electronic  artists of today and this sound partitularly good through the amps.  I'm surprised to see this new album on warp records his music doesn't sound like

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #464 of 2,161
I'm currently thinking about buying either FA-4E XB or CK100pro. Not sure which will be better for me. I'm looking for a complement to my ASG-2 and UE900 (which I use with partially blocked pinholes and 100 Ohms impedance). I'm possibly going to keep my R-50 as well. Anyway. I like most sound signatures. What I don't like is bass that's almost non-existant and terrible sibilance. Let me clarify, bass at the level of Re0 is enough although I prefer to have it around the level of R-50, GR07 or blocked UE900 w 100 ohms. I can tolerate and appreciate ASG-2 bass after I stuffed foam in the canal to the valve. But IE8 level bass is just too much.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #465 of 2,161
I think you have enough information of both in each thread.

Anyway from what I've read around here the ck100 pro seems to bea very bright, detailed and transparent phone with great mids but it also seems to lack bass presence compared to the amps and sometimes treble can be fatiguing, overall a very revealing phone that can be unforgiving with poor quality recordings, more suited to classical, audiophile recordings...

while the amps are very detailed and clear also, with big soundstage, great imaging, sparkly treble, and deep bass with sub bass rumble, the bass is boosted +6db. The sound is not very v shaped and the mids are very good too, overall a great allrounder that wows you the 90% of the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back