First winter with Zu Mobius - Shocking!
Dec 21, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 38
Why dont you email your responses to Zu Cable JF? I would be interested in seeing how they reply to your arguments. Personally I have had nothing but good service from Zu Cable and until _proven_ otherwise, I will accept their explination of this phenomena. After all, they design and produce cables for a living.
cool.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Why dont you email your responses to Zu Cable JF? I would be interested in seeing how they reply to your arguments. Personally I have had nothing but good service from Zu Cable and until _proven_ otherwise, I will accept their explination of this phenomena. After all, they design and produce cables for a living.
cool.gif

The simple answer is that I'm not Zu's customer. I'm attempting to be helpful.

JF

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
Well, the trouble is that the cable wrap itself is non-conductive. Therefore, there is not a way to "shunt" the static voltage to ground (it will reside on the surface).

Well I just took a look at my Zu Mobius and the cable wrap is a grid with holes [like netting]... you can see some sort of metalic shielding through it. I assume that this is what they are talking about.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

The cable wrap is a grid with holes [like netting]... you can see some sort of metalic shielding through it.

Doesn't matter. The metallic shielding needs to be over the cable wrap to prevent static. Because the cable wrap is non-conductive, it has no way to discharge to ground. That is exactly the problem.

JF

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Doesn't matter. The metallic shielding needs to be over the cable wrap to prevent static. Because the cable wrap is non-conductive, it has no way to discharge to ground. That is exactly the problem.

JF

I'm no scientist but I am pretty sure that static electricity would have no problem traveling through a little hole to reach metal. The cable wrap might be non conductive, but the hole is made of air. The cable wrap is quite thin, so I dont see any reason why the static would not be able to discharge through one of those openings.

EDIT: lol, start designing cables with metallic shielding over top the cable wrap and we'll see how many you sell
blink.gif

EDIT#2: If you are right and this is not possible, then please explain how the static is discharged? It is obviously happening as WIJGALT is getting shocked.

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

I'm no scientist but I am pretty sure that static electricity would have no problem traveling through a little hole to reach metal. The cable wrap might be non conductive, but the hole is made of air. The cable wrap is quite thin, so I dont see any reason why the static would not be able to discharge through one of those openings.

EDIT: lol, start designing cables with metallic shielding over top the cable wrap and we'll see how many you sell
blink.gif

EDIT#2: If you are right and this is not possible, then please explain how the static is discharged? It is obviously happening as WIJGALT is getting shocked.

Well, did you join this thread just to argue, or do you have a suggestion?

JF

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 38
Consider your clothing. Could be an unhappy arrangement between you sweater and the head phone cord.
Do you get static shocks when not wearing headphones? It is amazing how dry weather helps build up static.

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Well, did you join this thread just to argue, or do you have a suggestion?

Nice try, but I joined this thread before you did John.
tongue.gif

What sort of suggestion are you looking for?
confused.gif

I gave my opinion on what I think they meant combined with looking at the actual cable in question to provide you with a description of its makeup. I dont understand why the 'netted' cable wrap needs to be conductive for their explination to be true. You do think this makes a difference. Thus we have a difference of opinion and an argument results.

From my perspective it seems like you are looking for a way to prove the Zu Cable representative wrong. He is not here to defend himself, so I am attempting to fill in. This is not the first time that I have seen this type of behaviour from you when it comes to aftermarket cables, so excuse me if I am being abrupt.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 38
I cant see how the dielectric strength of the cable sheath affects static buildup in your body. However - what it can do is reject the potential between your body and the amplifier ground because of the increased dielectric strength...basically a better insulator.

I think the Zu team are of the opinion that the cable is draining the static in your body through to the ground via the amp....

How come the body itself doesnt drain directly to the ground? Because the amp ground is a better ground
tongue.gif

What about wearing different clothes? non wollen perhaps?

Or just pour water on yourself before you start listening. I advise you NOT to use electrostats after this
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Well, the trouble is that the cable wrap itself is non-conductive. Therefore, there is not a way to "shunt" the static voltage to ground

I dont think the static potential is enough to cause an arc between the body and the metal conductor inside the cable
smily_headphones1.gif
In which case - the sheath must be conductive.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I dont think the static potential is enough to cause an arc between the body and the metal conductor inside the cable
smily_headphones1.gif
In which case - the sheath must be conductive.

Actually, I don't think the sheath is conductive. (An ohm meter would indicate if it is or not.) A conductive sheathing would be a solution... A charge can arc from a person to the shield. Notice how lightning does everything it can to find a path to ground. The problem here is that the difference between synthetic and natural materials (they happen to be at opposite ends of the "Triboelectric Series") is that one strips off electronics from the other until a charge is built up and then arcs to the shield ground. This charging effect is accentuated with two dissimilar materials. This also happens in spring and summer but the charge doesn't built up to as high a voltage so a person doesn't notice. Humidity keeps the charge down. (Instead of an occasional big 'snap', there are many discharges that a person doesn't realize.)

JF

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #28 of 38
Last winter I had occasional problems with static charges on the Zu cable when using it on a place with ungrounded AC. I found that one reason was that I charged it myself when wearing clothes with synthetic materials, especially the sweater. No problems with pure cotton or wool. A little impractical though to dress for the headphone cable! But static charges -> bad sound, so it must be fixed in one way or other.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
You could always get a fish tank in your room to keep the humidity constant... seriously!

Seems like a good suggestion. I wonder what WIJGALT is thinking now? Is your amp grounded?

JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back