First winter with Zu Mobius - Shocking!
Dec 21, 2004 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

WIJGALT

100+ Head-Fier
Most disconcerting & I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this. I purchased the Mobius (for Senn 650s) last spring & it's a fine cable, as advertised. However, as the static electricity season has been ushered in here in NY, the cable is clipping the hell out of me. Arms, neck, cheeks, wherever there is contact with the cord I'm getting shocked. This is pretty awful stuff.

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by WIJGALT
Most disconcerting & I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this. I purchased the Mobius (for Senn 650s) last spring & it's a fine cable, as advertised. However, as the static electricity season has been ushered in here in NY, the cable is clipping the hell out of me. Arms, neck, cheeks, wherever there is contact with the cord I'm getting shocked. This is pretty awful stuff.

LOL - sorry but it sounds uber funny
smily_headphones1.gif

A suggestion - wrap the cable in glad-wrap or something temporarily
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 38
Mine used to give me lots of 'love nips', but hasnt in a while... in other winter news, the right metal ring on my k271s keeps falling off in the cold. Looks like I will have to invest in some crazy glue.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 38
Next time you do laundry, put the Mobius cable in the dryer with the rest of your clothes and add an extra sheet of fabric softener. That should take care of the static.
lambda.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Next time you do laundry, put the Mobius cable in the dryer with the rest of your clothes and add an extra sheet of fabric softener. That should take care of the static.
lambda.gif

And it will also take good care of your $250.00 investment
very_evil_smiley.gif

Might as well throw in the headphones along with the cable...hastens the burn-in
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
LOL ... you guys are a great help.
wink.gif

Why doesn't he just tape a little piece of wire on his leg and let it dangle on the ground to bleed off static like they do in cars.
icon10.gif

Sorry ...
tongue.gif

It will be fun if the wire snags on something and now he is swirling round and round like the beginner RC wire controlled planes
tongue.gif
LOL

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 38
"Why doesn't he just tape a little piece of wire on his leg and let it dangle on the ground to bleed off static like they do in cars."

Actually I've gotten into the habit of tapping my metal equipment stand before donning the phones to discharge myself - an anticipated shock is better than these little intermittent jabs. Alas, this only helps for a short time.
I've emailed Zu about this, will see what they have to say.

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
That should not happen to a $250 cable...

You could always get some moisturizer and rub it on the cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oooh! Oooh! my turn my turn!!!
basshead.gif

Chapstick enhances electrical contacts...give it a shot...

For maximum material efficiency - first apply the chapstick to your lips and then stick your mouth into the wall socket
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 38
The synthetic material used for the cable wrap is a static generator. It will generate a static charge when it rubs against natural fibers. It’s worse in winter because humidity is lower (air is drier). An air humidifier probably would help. It will be intersting to find out if Zu's technical department has better suggestions.

JF

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 38
Nordost makes an anti-static spray that should not do damage to any material, paint, etc. I have used it a lot in the past, and it works at least to cut the static. Not sure if I hear any difference either way in the sound....

I've never tried Static Guard, but my wife says it works wonders on Rayon
3000smile.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by WIJGALT

True the Mobius produces lots of static. One clumsy way to avoid those shocks is to use one of those anti-static wrist bands connected to ground in your wall socket. I've done this while doing DIY stuff, got that anti-static kit from Radio Shack. The Zu becomes a normal cable while I remain wearing the wristband plugged to the wall. If I unplug myself from the wall, walking on the carpet touching the Zu means almost certainly getting a minor zap. The zaps are not very strong where I live though, I guess because there's usually lots of humidity down here in FL.

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 38
Besides strapping a humidifier to my upper torso, if anyone can elaborate:

"The Mobius cable is designed to shunt all RF and static voltage to
ground, if the headphone amp ground is floating, combined with low
humidity will yield this. Likewise, if your amp is referenced to Earth,
most are, and you have several thousand Volts of static on you, the
Mobius will shunt this potential Voltage from you to earth through its
shielding. Solutions include, increasing the humidity of your space,
use some anti-static spray on your cloths before you listen, make sure
your headphone amp is referenced to earth, request a special Mobius
cable with a dielectric test of >600 Volts. (For your needs I would say
go with the new cable option, you could send your current cable back
with a note and $20 for replacement for a high test Mobius, or order a
new high test Mobius for the price plus $20, pay for it, and send your
old cable back with request for refund once you get the new high test
Mobius. The high test Mobius is not a standard products, it is fully
covered by our warranties but we do not market this product. As to
fidelity, it sounds and measures identical to the standard Mobius.

Please let me know if you have additional questions."

Thanks,

Sean Casey

Wow, and he plays first base for the Reds too!

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

"The Mobius cable is designed to shunt all RF and static voltage to
ground, if the headphone amp ground is floating, combined with low
humidity will yield this. Likewise, if your amp is referenced to Earth,
most are, and you have several thousand Volts of static on you, the
Mobius will shunt this potential Voltage from you to earth through its
shielding.”

Well, the trouble is that the cable wrap itself is non-conductive. Therefore, there is not a way to "shunt" the static voltage to ground (it will reside on the surface). Perhaps the anti-static spray would work for awhile (though slightly messy).

And I would imagine your amp is referenced to earth. (My DC powered amp is referenced to earth through the RCA jacks from the source.)

Quote:

Solutions include, increasing the humidity of your space,
use some anti-static spray on your cloths before you listen, make sure
your headphone amp is referenced to earth, request a special Mobius
cable with a dielectric test of >600 Volts. (For your needs I would say
go with the new cable option, you could send your current cable back
with a note and $20 for replacement for a high test Mobius, or order a
new high test Mobius for the price plus $20, pay for it, and send your
old cable back with request for refund once you get the new high test
Mobius. The high test Mobius is not a standard products, it is fully
covered by our warranties but we do not market this product.

“…dielectric test of >600 Volts” don’t know how this lowers static electricity, but it’s Zu’s recommendation to use the “high test Mobius”. I don't read anything in this that makes me think it would lessen the static electricity. I have an idea what they need to do, but it has nothing to do with dielectric test...

JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back