First venture into the headfi space, wanting to do it right
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 17
This response was the vast wealth of knowledge I was yearning for when I made this post. Thank you ever so much!!
You're welcome.
The deep dive on tube amps was everything I didn't know I needed to ask about hahaha, very appreciative of this information... already has me thinking about some more headphones with a higher impedance that could pair well with something like a Feliks hahaha
You might be interested in checking out this thread. Tons of amps, both tubes and solid state, and if you're interested in high impedance headphones, ZMFs can't be beat.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/
I've been seeing things about upgraded power supply's or cords, is this something I should focus on as well? Really curious still on how to properly configure the wiring and setup of amp to dac and what pitfalls to avoid.
Yeah, someone will be around shortly to inform you that cables are snake oil. Don't believe it. Cables, of all types def make a difference. USB, RCA, headphone cables, power cables, heck even ethernet cables can make a difference, but IMO I would get the rest of your system close to perfection and then invest in cables.

I honestly wish that cable naysayers were correct. There's no more boring and unexciting way to spend money in this hobby than on cables.

EDIT: Regarding how to wire a DAC....

It's pretty simple. Connect your source to a DAC via your preferred method, with USB being quite popular. Use either XLR or RCA cables out of your DAC into your amp. There's not much else to it, other than try not to allow cables to lay on top of one another.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #17 of 17
I've been seeing things about upgraded power supply's or cords, is this something I should focus on as well? Really curious still on how to properly configure the wiring and setup of amp to dac and what pitfalls to avoid.

My advice: Don't listen too much to "the internet", there are people shouting in both directions all the time. The world is not all black and white.
Set up a base system, get to know the sound of it, and then try out cables and PSU's and figure out if your ears can hear a difference or not. No one has heard the world through your ears, other than you. Just buy the stuff at a place with a good return policy, should you end up with the conclusion that you don't feel the products are worth the investment to you.
Enjoy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back