First UE11 Impressions
Sep 28, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #466 of 1,600
Could only happen to me! Waited all morning for FedEx (payed overnight shipping) had to go out at noon for 15 minutes at 12:25. Of course, FedEx shows up at 12:30 and doesn't leave the package because signature was required (even though I had left a note on the front door with my signature). So they've sent a message to the driver requesting he come back for a second attempt but he hasn't
acknowledged the message. So now I'll have to drive almost an hour to the FedEx station in Santa Fe today, and get there a 1/2 hour before they close today. I'm so freaken pissed!
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #468 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yippy, FedEx just came by again, and delivered the UE11's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Type as you listen and tell us what you hear you lucky person
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #469 of 1,600
Maybe not as lucky as you think! I believe I may have a fit issue, comfortable but somewhat muddy sounding. For all you other UE11 owners can you try this for me. Clinch your rear teeth while the monitors are in and tell me if you hear an increase in the highs (brighter sounding). It seems much duller when my jaw is in a comfortable position where my rear teeth aren't touchin each other. Your feedback is appreciated. Waiting to hear back from UE.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #470 of 1,600
Flashbak, you have the toughest time with getting anything delivered. Remember last time with the PR II it was stuck? There is a learning curve on inserting and listening to customs. My 2 cents on the sound, Get several hours on them listening. Your opinion will change a few times along the way.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #471 of 1,600
Quote:

Maybe not as lucky as you think! I believe I may have a fit issue, comfortable but somewhat muddy sounding. For all you other UE11 owners can you try this for me. Clinch your rear teeth while the monitors are in and tell me if you hear an increase in the highs (brighter sounding). It seems much duller when my jaw is in a comfortable position where my rear teeth aren't touchin each other. Your feedback is appreciated. Waiting to hear back from UE.

Flashbak, that also happened to me at first. If this is the first time you own customs you better check UE video with the instructions on how to properly insert them. At first I was inserting them the wrong way resulting on lower SQ.

Also take into account UE11 are very warm so if you are used to bright sounding phones it may take sometime to get used. But once you get into them you would never come back
smily_headphones1.gif
, they sound simply amazing. I suggest you try different type of music, it also could help. Let us know

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #473 of 1,600
Folks, clearly something is not right. True this is my first custom, but I know how to insert them, and have watched the UE video previously before getting the phones. No one here with UE11's has answered my question though. UE has requested I return them so they can further tune them for me. I described the symptom and was told to send them back. It has nothing to do with improper insertion. Again let me ask UE11 owners if you clinch your back teeth while listening do the highs become more apparent (like cymbals)? It actually sounds as if I'm rotating and increasing the treble knob as I go from a position of back teeth not touching each other (mouth slightly open) in a normal comfortable position to clinched back teeth. They sound muddy and dull but the minute I touch my back teeth together with some pressure the highs come back in. Honestly at this point my Triple-Fi Pro sound better. So back they go tomorrow to UE for adjustment unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #474 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
I'm pretty sure option 2 would be the better choice and would get much more use. Shoot a PM to digihead, he owns just about every custom made and the UE-11's are his favorite followed by the ES2.

flashbak - Do report on how those sound with Lisa!

It sounds exceptional with LISA. Great stuff. the bass is just right sounding, no more, no less. No Bass Hump what so ever very balanced.!! Pretty impressive with LISA.

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #475 of 1,600
Quote:

Folks, clearly something is not right. True this is my first custom, but I know how to insert them, and have watched the UE video previously before getting the phones. No one here with UE11's has answered my question though. UE has requested I return them so they can further tune them for me. I described the symptom and was told to send them back. It has nothing to do with improper insertion. Again let me ask UE11 owners if you clinch your back teeth while listening do the highs become more apparent (like cymbals)? It actually sounds as if I'm rotating and increasing the treble knob as I go from a position of back teeth not touching each other (mouth slightly open) in a normal comfortable position to clinched back teeth. They sound muddy and dull but the minute I touch my back teeth together with some pressure the highs come back in. Honestly at this point my Triple-Fi Pro sound better. So back they go tomorrow to UE for adjustment unless someone can convince me otherwise.

It didn't change in sound in my case though. I clinched my back teeth already. Triple.Fi is an amazing earphones of course if you get a perfect fit. This is the tricky part. Many people hate Triple.Fi due to the Fit, same with any custom earphones. Triple.Fi should be brighter than UE11. UE10 is even muddier than UE11.

Oh about that you are so sure on how to insert UE11 properly. Don't be so sure.

It took me almost a month to learn how to insert Sensa properly. At first, I thought I knew how to insert them until oneday. pure sonic bliss. Since that time I always looked for that sound signature. The problem was I inserted it too deep until the canal was bended covering the nozzle within my ears.

ES2 was a breeze for me, perfect fit and perfect sound right the first time. Nothing I could improve upon it even with different placement.

UE10 took me a good 1 week. I thought I had a perfect fit already. until oneday went very deep. WOah!! and then I tried to look for that bass tightness again. the problem was I didnt put it deep enough.

With UE11 I had bad fit right the first time. The high was so sharp, midrange was thin the bass was not even there either. The refinement also wasn't there. so I had to spend time modifying UE11 with my local Audiologist. Problem: the canal part was a bit too thin therefore I wasnt getting proper seal until I inserted it deeper. and painful.

Each custom although somewhat have similarities, the proper placement could be slightly different. You may have to get accustomed to them.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #476 of 1,600
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Customs are a roll of the dice in terms of fit and fit has a lot to do with sound.

Fortunately for me, the fit was spot on first time around. First time that has ever happened and the sound was incredible.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #477 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Im left with 2 choices: Buy UE11 and UE10, or buy UE11 and Lavry DA10. The rational side of me says get the source upgrade, but dammit, I really want both headphones. Decisions, decisions....

You are in a tough spot. The mind telling you it wants to hear both. Unfortunately, the only way to find out would be to buy both. Problem is with customs, you will own both forever. Unless you somehow ended up liking and using both for different applications enough to justify the expense, then it is an awfully expensive notion to find out which one you like more. Of course for me, not knowing is what caused me to own so many.

The UE10 UE11 debate will no doubt remain. They are indeed different. UE10 neutral. UE11 warmer and more musically engaging. I personally prefer the UE11, however I can see how fans of the UE10 would like the UE10, however it just doesn't happen to be my cup of tea.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #478 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds exceptional with LISA. Great stuff. the bass is just right sounding, no more, no less. No Bass Hump what so ever very balanced.!! Pretty impressive with LISA.

Hmmm...

Perhaps the Millett is going to get less use?

As posted earlier, my PRII with the UE11's are very close to perfect. flashbak, who sold me the PRII in favor of the LISA reports the LISA is better in every respect and I believe this. (If the LISA were really portable I would own it now!) For now anyway I'm holding off on purchasing a Millett, enjoying both the PRII and my SR-71.

Jlingo, you want to do a temporary amp swap, I'll let you try my SR-71 and you loan me your Millett?

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #479 of 1,600
Does anyone know how UE resolves fit/customer service issues? Given flashbak's problems this seems a relevant topic.

I think Westone has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. When I got my ES2's I went to one of their dealers/audiologists for my fitting. I paid the audiologist for the fitting and also paid her for the ES2's. When complete, Westone shipped the ES2's to her and she helped me with the insertion and instructions.

A few days later I decided there was a fit issue. Back to the audiologist. She made a new set of impressions (free) and FedEx'd the ES2's back to Westone (free). Westone fixed the problem (free) and FedEx'd the ES2's back to the audiologist (free). The new fitting worked perfectly. I paid ONLY for the first set of impressions and the cost of the ES2's, everything else was covered by Westone.

Now with UE, it seems odd that when I spend $1,200 for IEM's I also pay for FedEx. In flashbak's case it sounds like fit issues mean he spends his money to send the 11's back to UE, they try to sort out the problem over the phone then ship them back, hopefully they pay for FedEx. The whole customer service thing seems sort of lame compared to Westone.

Don't get me wrong. I love my UE11's, they sound much better than my ES2's. On the other hand, my experience with Westone is such that as soon as the Custom 3's are available i will very likely give them a try!

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #480 of 1,600
Well folks, now I'm questioning if this is just a matter of adjusting to them and getting better with the insertion process. I listened to them last night lying in bed for about 2 hours and was pretty blown away by the sound I was hearing. So I'll hold on to them for the weekend and see on Monday if I should send them back for an adjustment. Please feel free to relay your first experiences with the 11s as well as what you've learned about inserting them properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back