First UE11 Impressions
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #256 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11 is not too warm. It's warm but not too warm. The bass is really depending on the recording and the amp used. Using the Millett, the bass is not pronounced at all.

Also, I find playing directly from the ipod, the bass is also subtle not too much at all. I only have problem with bass when I use the Hornet, all a sudden UE11 becomes very aggressive, and powerful sounding.

Oh by the way, don't overlook the awesome texture, superb separation, BIG SOUNDSTAGE, THE AIR OPEN FEELING, and the depth that UE11 could produce which by far set apart itself from other IEMs.

I may choose UE10 if UE10 has similar separation, similar depth, similar refinement, similar soundstage, and similar texture.

I agree, I dont think that the UE11 is too warm, I posted this impression of the UE11:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257812

Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pro

First, I am not a reviewer; I understand that there have already been reviews written on the Ultimate Ears UE-11’s.

This will simply be my Impressions/Opinions based on My ears, My equipment, and My experience with other IEM’s that others are Familiar with. This might be helpful for other who are curious or contemplating a purchase of UE-11’s or who might be using Shure E500’s attempting to determine if they should consider upgrading.

First off, I would like to just deal in some reality, these are in my opinion Very Expensive IEM’s ($1150 for IEM’s, $50 for Impressions at Audiologist = $1200) and I can understand that some people just are not willing to spend this much money on something like this.

Level Setting (if that is at all possible):

Prior to getting the Ultimate Ears UE-11’s, I was using Shure E500PTH’s (which I am going to keep for backup after I have the frayed cable replaced), which were an upgrade from Shure E5C’s, Which of course were upgrades from other low end Canal Phones from Sony, Philips and others.

Prior to getting UE-11’s I did everything Un-Amped, all comments here are based on use with the “Ray Samuels Hornet Portable Headphone Amp” and “Audio line out Super Cotton Dock” these component have made a believer out of me because in the past I didn’t want to compromise portability, but in the end, it’s worth the added bulk.

I have seen other reviews were some have said that the Shure E500’s are terrible and midrange is really bad. I absolutely DO NOT believe this to be true, I think statements like that take away credibility because people will not believe the good things that you have to say about the UE-11’s, UE-11’s don’t need this type of help, They stand on their own merit and Are Simply That Good!!!!

Let’s walk down the Frequency Spectrum:

Treble:
Ok, here is where the UE-11 just slam dunks the E500’s, I used to enjoy the E500 because it has a very smooth sound and the highs Never Ever Get shrill, so I was very happy…That is of course until I listened to the UE-11’s. Now I know that you can do perfectly extended highs without ever getting shrill or harsh, The UE-11 simply nails this and there is no mistaking that this is correct and the Shure E500 is not. UE-11 Highs are very clean and natural with the perfect amount of sparkle.

Midrange:
This is very odd, in my opinion, this is where Shure had the others beat, The smooth and warm Midrange of the E500 was a very pleasing quality. The UE-11 manages to sound smoother still, I think this may be an effect of the highs being so much better that it contrast the midrange and makes it that much more noticeable (I could be wrong, remember, this is just my interpretation).

Bass:
Ok,
I hope I don’t get blasted for this but this is where there will always be disagreement between those who like what they like to call accurate and those who call it fun or colored. When I listen to a live band, sometimes the bass is very light sometimes it is very heavy, sometimes it is beating at my chest, sometimes I can barely hear it. To me, the UE-11’s have perfect bass, there are some tracks that don’t have much bass and that is what I hear, there are others that have large amounts of really deep bass and that is what I hear and to me, that is how it should be, if the bass exist, it should shine through, I don’t what my monitors to throttle it down for me, just reproduce what it there (Deep, Heavy, Light or whatever is there) , if the recording engineer was heavy handed, so be it.

I never get the impression that the UE-11 is heavy handed and if the UE-10 is less endowed, boy am I glad that I purchased the UE-11 instead, because I don’t think I would have been happy with anything less.

Other:
One thing that I would like to comment on is Transient Response/Attack/Decay.
Ok, this is in my opinion one of the best and least talked about qualities of the UE-11’s, when compared to the Shure E500’s; this is another area where the UE-11 stands out.

Instruments on the E500’s sound like they are coming from good speakers, Instruments on the UE-11’s sound like…..Well real Instruments, they have the right amount of presence, they sound more real (In my opinion) with the perfect amount of Transient Response/Attack/Decay.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, I would have to say this, the UE-11 is the first IEM that I have listened to that instantly involves me in the music and makes me just simply start to tap my feet and enjoy.

If you really enjoy music, and you want to Listen and Enjoy it (Not analyze it) and want to do it justice with a portable setup, Find a way to get yourself some UE-11’s, in my opinion, they are just that good and as good as I still think the Shure E500 is, The UE-11 is simply without question superior in ways that once you here them, you simply will have a hard time accepting anything less.

Music for comparison:
Acoustic Jazz
Modern Jazz
Classical (Orchestral, Chamber, Solo Violin, Solo Pipe Organ, Solo Cello)
Classic Rock
Hip Hop

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #257 of 1,600
Thanks for taking the time to write your impressions. It's gotten me pretty excited about getting my hands on a pair of these. They sound like they'll be a little better that my IM716s!
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #258 of 1,600
Just thought I'd put in my two cents about the UE11Pro and the "warmth/too bassy" issue. I think it depends on your frame of reference. For me, my frame of reference is high end audio equipment. I use Krell components and big honkin B&W speakers. When compared to this kind of equipment, headphones and iems in particular absolutely lack bass and fullness (among other shortcomings, of course). But indeed if you are used to headphones and iems as your primary point of reference, almost any increase in bass will feel like a lot!

To me, the UE11Pros come closest to fulfilling the promise of the original recordings. They are not thin-sounding but rather have a fullness to them that is suggestive of high-end speaker systems. The bass is tight and deep, never boomy. The bass is present only to the extent of the original recording. For example, listening to "The Lark Ascending," you hear the gorgeous highs of the violin -- a sound that only a dog could hear! -- just beautifully. But if you are listening to trance or hip hop, the bass line goes right into your bloodstream!

There is also no doubt that the UE11Pros were probably engineered to work well with the ipod right out of the box, without an amp. As we all know, the ipod is weak in the bassline. But the UE11Pro works fabulously with the ipod to bring it up to snuff. I have not tried them with an amp/ipod combo because to me that kind of rig is too bulky to be truly portable. And so for me, the UE11Pro is a fantastic match to the ipod.

The packaging material that comes with the UE11Pro includes a line to the effect of "Hear your music for the first time" -- something like that, at any rate. I have to say that this is absolutely true. For more than 15 years I've been listening to Al Dimeola's "Meditteranean Sundance" as one of my reference "go-to" recordings for buying equipment. And yesterday, for the first time ever, I heard Al exhale into a low whistle at the end of his virtuoso guitar solo. I have to say I've never heard that -- not even on my absurdly expensive home stereo system. It was a revelation! The detail and airiness of these phones is simply amazing. Similarly, listening to "Rhapsody in Blue" you can actually experience the swell of the orchestra, just as you do when listening to giant speakers. I've never experienced that with another iem before -- you'd hear the notes, but not feel the swell.

I'd say these are gorgeously balanced and worth every penny and then some. I now want to listen to everything in my collection -- just to hear what I've been missing! Amazing.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #259 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd put in my two cents about the UE11Pro and the "warmth/too bassy" issue. I think it depends on your frame of reference. For me, my frame of reference is high end audio equipment. I use Krell components and big honkin B&W speakers. When compared to this kind of equipment, headphones and iems in particular absolutely lack bass and fullness (among other shortcomings, of course). But indeed if you are used to headphones and iems as your primary point of reference, almost any increase in bass will feel like a lot!

To me, the UE11Pros come closest to fulfilling the promise of the original recordings. They are not thin-sounding but rather have a fullness to them that is suggestive of high-end speaker systems. The bass is tight and deep, never boomy. The bass is present only to the extent of the original recording. For example, listening to "The Lark Ascending," you hear the gorgeous highs of the violin -- a sound that only a dog could hear! -- just beautifully. But if you are listening to trance or hip hop, the bass line goes right into your bloodstream!

There is also no doubt that the UE11Pros were probably engineered to work well with the ipod right out of the box, without an amp. As we all know, the ipod is weak in the bassline. But the UE11Pro works fabulously with the ipod to bring it up to snuff. I have not tried them with an amp/ipod combo because to me that kind of rig is too bulky to be truly portable. And so for me, the UE11Pro is a fantastic match to the ipod.

The packaging material that comes with the UE11Pro includes a line to the effect of "Hear your music for the first time" -- something like that, at any rate. I have to say that this is absolutely true. For more than 15 years I've been listening to Al Dimeola's "Meditteranean Sundance" as one of my reference "go-to" recordings for buying equipment. And yesterday, for the first time ever, I heard Al exhale into a low whistle at the end of his virtuoso guitar solo. I have to say I've never heard that -- not even on my absurdly expensive home stereo system. It was a revelation! The detail and airiness of these phones is simply amazing. Similarly, listening to "Rhapsody in Blue" you can actually experience the swell of the orchestra, just as you do when listening to giant speakers. I've never experienced that with another iem before -- you'd hear the notes, but not feel the swell.

I'd say these are gorgeously balanced and worth every penny and then some. I now want to listen to everything in my collection -- just to hear what I've been missing! Amazing.

Thank you for addressing the bass/warmth issue as you have done. I think you bring up a very good point about frame of reference. I feel this endeavor with head-fi is all about discovering you most favorite frame of reference and besting it in some way. Sounds like you did so with the UE-11s!

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #260 of 1,600
Ummm now i got a problem ?! I'm asking my self all the time what should i buy for my new ue11 hornet or Tomahawk... and it make my go insane
only because one sentence "UE11 with Hornet is exceptional, detailed, fast, powerful, but yes, when It's time for me to listen to a more relaxed music, the bass could be a little bit too much." is it really too much :\ ?
So if this iems so fine with out any amp how do i use them with my imod
confused.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #262 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by asafalfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummm now i got a problem ?! I'm asking my self all the time what should i buy for my new ue11 hornet or Tomahawk... and it make my go insane
only because one sentence "UE11 with Hornet is exceptional, detailed, fast, powerful, but yes, when It's time for me to listen to a more relaxed music, the bass could be a little bit too much." is it really too much :\ ?
So if this iems so fine with out any amp how do i use them with my imod
confused.gif

Ah yes, the insanity!

I've been struggling with this too. My UE-11's arrived yesterday. Perfect fit so far. I put them on and listened to 2+ hours of my all time favorite tunes.

I'll post my impressions later, suffice to say I heard things I've never heard before. First impression is these are awesome, clearly surpassing my ES2's.

Anyway, to the amp thing. I have a Tomahawk (plus iMod, ALO Jumbo). The bass is big, but not too big at all. If anything, I would like something a bit tighter and faster, not something more mellow and laid back. I thought about the Millett before these showed up, read most the threads, almost bought one. Right now I'm glad I didn't.

Hornets and Tomahawks are great amps, among the handful of the very best. I can't imagine you'd go wrong with either. My initial experience with my Tomahawk is very, very pleasing. You can likely find a good used Hornet or TH here on the For Sale section. If you're not happy you will easily be able to sell it for about what you paid, not much to lose.

All that said, I just purchased an SR-71, used. I figure if the TH is this good, the SR-71 might be a bit better!

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #263 of 1,600
Dont worry yourself sooo much! If you have an iMOD you have to use an amp period!

Both a Hornet or Tomahawk are great amps. The Tomahawk will allow you to run a 0 gain so you will have more control over your volume control. Th hornet starts at a gain of 2. It depends on how loud you listen. I often have my Hornet around 2:00 with the gain of 2 and 11:00 on the middle gain setting.

You can not loose and I think most would agree that the sound sigs are very similar and you are now splitting hairs.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #264 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've got a 5.5G iMod, you can use the headphone out.
If you've got a 4G iMod, you'll will need an amp or a volume attenuator.

OT, but... What about using the 5.5G iMod with dock connector boomboxes, FM transmitters, and other accessories like the 7" screen vido dock? Without the caps that are needed in the dock connector you lose that functionality, right?

Back on topic now.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #265 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT, but... What about using the 5.5G iMod with dock connector boomboxes, FM transmitters, and other accessories like the 7" screen vido dock? Without the caps that are needed in the dock connector you lose that functionality, right?

Back on topic now.

I was just trying to answer the previous poster's question about how to use iMod without an amp. I assume they were using IEMs, but they didn't specify which generation of iMod.

HeadphoneAddict, I don't know the answers to your questions - you'd be better off directing your question to the iMod thread or to Vinnie (RWA) / Ken (ALOAudio).

I would to hear more about the UE11, especially in relation to other custom IEMs (hint hint FreeBlues :))

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #267 of 1,600
BTW, what is the last order date if I want to get the artwork for free?

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #268 of 1,600
for fks sake lol, before i entered, mind you read the entire thread just now i have never seen so much widespread e500/se530 bashing in life !!!!

ive been looking for IEM's for quite some time now, but i want good ones and i always cannot decide what to get from mixed reviews.

so far its been a battle of the er4s and the e500, now i find myself thinking, should i just wait longer and save and get ue-11s BAH ! screw you ppl.

i guarentee you jlingo's comments will be responsible for tens of thousands of dollars worth for UE.

thanks for adding to my confusion guys.

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #269 of 1,600
Question about refitting.

Got mine Friday and will have to have them refitted (depressing because the sound is to die for and having to go back to my triple 5's for a couple of weeks) . My right seals very well but the 2 locking points (top and bottom) cause pressure pain. Oddly if I force push it straight in (instead of the front to rear twist) if fits with less pressure pain. My left doesn't seal well and I hear a clicking type nose between the ear canal as I move around. The left just seems a little too small.

So how does UE handle a refit? Do I have to go and pay for new impressions or can they make modifications from my descriptions. Also do they have to remold and place in the drivers?

Strangely they left off my artwork. I only asked for it to be "UE" and "11 Pro" but they came with noting on them.

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #270 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont worry yourself sooo much! If you have an iMOD you have to use an amp period!

Both a Hornet or Tomahawk are great amps. The Tomahawk will allow you to run a 0 gain so you will have more control over your volume control. Th hornet starts at a gain of 2. It depends on how loud you listen. I often have my Hornet around 2:00 with the gain of 2 and 11:00 on the middle gain setting.

You can not loose and I think most would agree that the sound sigs are very similar and you are now splitting hairs.

It's a gain of 1 (no amplification of the imput signal), with 0 you would not hear a thing
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back