First UE11 Impressions
Aug 22, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #227 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let the hornet burn in for 400hrs. don't listen to it. It will undergo so much sound character changes not worth listening in between.

I wouldnt go that far the Hornet is very enjoyable out of the box!!!!

It does go thru some sonic changes but is enjoyable ride that should be experienced IMO.

During the Burn-in process listen in on it once and while so you can hear the changes for yourself.

Or just enjoy it and the ultimate sound will come as you go!!!

Cant loose either way!

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #228 of 1,600
So they finally came today. And all I can say is, wow! Truly and eargasm. The highs are so amazing, and the bass is sooo deep and accurate. And amazingly, I think they got the fit right the first time around. So far the fit seems to be perfect, not too tight, not too loose. The artwork also came out as I had expected. I am more than pleased.

IMG_8797small.jpg

IMG_8793small.jpg

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #230 of 1,600
I wonder if, since UE already has my impressions from my UE-10's then they would be able to use them for the UE-11's without the need for me to go to the audiologist.

MtotheDeez (Mike...is this realistic?)

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #231 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if, since UE already has my impressions from my UE-10's then they would be able to use them for the UE-11's without the need for me to go to the audiologist.

I believe that is the case Aaron!

They (UE) offered my the very first set and were going to use my molds on file.

I passed the opportunity to Jazic the OP! He is an online bud!

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #232 of 1,600
Well then, a UE-11 might be in my near future if people can make side by side comparisons and say, unequivocally that the UE-11 is vastly superior to the 10's, because the 10's reside on my head an average of 2 hours per day.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #233 of 1,600
Quote:

Well then, a UE-11 might be in my near future if people can make side by side comparisons and say, unequivocally that the UE-11 is vastly superior to the 10's, because the 10's reside on my head an average of 2 hours per day.

There are times I really hate this place. I'm not the biggest fan of the UE10's, I actually prefer the UE5c sound. The UE11 sounds like a combo of the fun and bass of the UE5c with the detail of the UE10, with a bit more of a warm sound signature to it. If that is the case, it would be perfect for me. Now if UE would only reply to my email about custom artwork, I'd be all set.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #234 of 1,600
Quote:

They were able to do that for my UE-5c.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #235 of 1,600
Quote:

UE uses a process called VTM (virtual translation manufacturing). your impressions are actually stored as a 3D model, and then using a process called stereo lithography, they make the shells from that model.

fyi, mike is no longer with ultimate ears.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #236 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshambro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE uses a process called VTM (virtual translation manufacturing). your impressions are actually stored as a 3D model, and then using a process called stereo lithography, they make the shells from that model.

Interesting...any idea what Mike is doing these days? Seemed to be a pretty integral part of the UE company at least early on.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #237 of 1,600
Also...bummed that UE couldn't or wouldn't do my requested artwork. Said a cartoon character was too much detail to recreate. I immediately thought of Monkey's UE5c...

I have another idea in to them, lets see what this yields.

Definitely NOT the rock star treatment. Two emails unanswered over the course of four days inquiring about the artwork for the UE11. Called them today to basically just get a 'We can't do that.' When I asked why not it was basically 'they say they won't do it, its too tough'

So much for UE can put anything on there....

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #238 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshambro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, he was at their table at the 2007 National with a constant smile on his face. Hope his move was a good one for him.

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #239 of 1,600
I got to spend a little time talking to him about it at the LA/OC Audio Society meet; here's the deal: The lucky little buger evidently has his life well enough in order that he can follow his heart. He felt like there was "something else" out there awaiting him and that working for UE just wasn't what he was called to do at the moment. So he quit. And he's awaiting the muses arrival. Untill then he helps UE out when they need to do a demo and such. He's a free spirit, that's for sure; and I tend to think he's going to find whatever he's looking for. Pretty cool.

On the UE11:

I've just spent all day listening to the 10 vs. 11 and, well.... it's not an obvious call---even though there are some obvious differences. I've read the threads and I think there's some decent zeroing in on the characteristic going on. So, I'm not going to say anything that's not been hinted at already.

The UE11 is a FUN headphone to listen to. It's warm, no doubt, probably to a fault (but that's another story), but I just can't keep a smile off my face while listening to them. I'm pretty averse to anything that's bright and harsh, but there's something in the highs of these cans that's both sparkling AND smooth. Odd! Just great fun to listen to, but I can't put my finger on what's really going on; maybe it has something to do with coherence and time alignment, but quick, articulate highs that are also smooth and musical is a hard to find combination.

But the bass is just too much. It's tight, textured, well damped, and extraordinarily articulate, but it's maybe three dB too much. While I have great fun listening to them, every once in a while my attention is drawn away from the music and to the intensity of the mid and/or upper bass.

However, when I return to the UE10 I find them flat (not neutral, but like flat soda ... stale) and somewhat boring in comparison.

I'm going to spend some time listening to the 10 and 11 again tomorrow, and I'll throw in some 530 and triple fi listening as well, and I'll post again.

I'll repeat: these headphones are FUN to listen to.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #240 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are times I really hate this place. I'm not the biggest fan of the UE10's, I actually prefer the UE5c sound. The UE11 sounds like a combo of the fun and bass of the UE5c with the detail of the UE10, with a bit more of a warm sound signature to it. If that is the case, it would be perfect for me. Now if UE would only reply to my email about custom artwork, I'd be all set.

Digihead, I just got my 11Pro's today and I of course also own the UE5c's.

I've only listened to them for about an hour but I'd say they are EXACTLY what you are looking for. Much for detail and headroom than the UE5c -- fabulous imaging, a much bigger soundstage, and twinkly highs, married to a bass line that will just bring you on your feet!!!! They are warm, smooth, sparkling, detailed, just plain gorgeous. Like honey in your mouth.

They are exactly what I was looking for and will be perfect for you too!
Now if only I could figure out how to embed a picture of them in this thread I'd be all set!!! But you can see them in my new avatar!! Ain't they gorgeous??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back