First timer with custom IEM
Jan 8, 2011 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oslpag

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I need to buy some new headphones and I want to go down the custom fit IEM route. The main reason for this is that al IEM headphones I have had so far don't fit me I seem to have very small ear canals so custom fit is the way to go. I am not an audiophile, my main usage is listening to stuff on my iPod or iPhone when travelling, skiing, jogging etc.Unfortunately my other issue is cost, I need to find something as cheap as possible, eventually when I am financially better off I will go down a more expensive route.

I am also fully aware that choice of headphones for sound purposes is very subjective, no one headphone appeals to everyone.

Basically I think I see 2 options.

1) Single driver custom monitors.
2) Buy low end balanced armature (i.e. Etymotic ER6i) and get them reshelled.

Any comments, help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 6
single driver customs just doesn't make sense.

if i were you, i would try to find broken headphones on ebay or CL since you are getting them reshelled. you also might be able to get some cheap TF-10s since they were on sale for less than $100 on black friday.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, what's your budget?

I would usually recommend the JH5 Pro, but if cost is a severe limitation, then you might as well get a reshell (or just stick with a narrow nozzle universal) then save up for a good custom.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info. At the moment cost is a serious limitation my budget is around $200-$250, so I will have to still think what to do. I do have an option of some Jay Q-Jays, could they be a possibility for re-shell?
Quote:
Well, what's your budget?

I would usually recommend the JH5 Pro, but if cost is a severe limitation, then you might as well get a reshell (or just stick with a narrow nozzle universal) then save up for a good custom.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 6
If single driver customs don't make sense then why do they supply them?

Thanks for the other info.

Quote:
single driver customs just doesn't make sense.

if i were you, i would try to find broken headphones on ebay or CL since you are getting them reshelled. you also might be able to get some cheap TF-10s since they were on sale for less than $100 on black friday.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Although I haven't heard them, the reviews coming in about 1964 audio seem to be pretty decent. They have some customs that would be within your price range I believe, http://www.1964ears.com/ It looks like their dual driver is $275 which is a bit over your number however I think they would be a great lower priced option to at least get your feet wet regarding customs. I myself have a pair of JH5's that I find just amazing but those might be a bit too pricey for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back