First timer, need advice and guidance!
Dec 19, 2010 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

naudebo

New Head-Fier
Greetings, head-fi'ers...

I've been trolling around on these boards for a few weeks, and have been amazed by the wealth of knowledge by everyone here.  I'm new to this, having never owned a quality set of headphones before.  I do have an appreciation of good sound, and know better than to get duped into the Bose/Beats promotional and marketing money suck.  That being said, I've listened to the Bose demos in the store and enjoyed the sound in comparison to my cheap headphones now - and know that I can still do a LOT better for less $.

I'm working with a budget of $200.  From what I've read around here, it's helpful to describe exactly what I'm looking to use these headphones for and what type of music/other stuff I'm planning on listening to.  So, I'm going to do just that - and I'd really appreciate any help you all can give me.  Please let me know which set of phones you'd choose if you were me, and why.  Then, I can do some research from there, and make a well-educated choice.  For me, when I'm going to spend money, I want the best bang for the buck and I plan to keep stuff for years.  I will spend money - but I will not waste it.  Quality construction is important to me, since I won't replace these any time soon. 

For the most part, I spend most of my listening time with my laptop - an HP Pavilion DV6 with no additional sound card improvements beyond the way it came out of the box.  While most of my use is at home, I do take the laptop out to places to work occasionally, and fly 4-6 times a year.  I considered active noise cancellation, but from what I'm reading, I won't be thrilled with the sound quality given my budget. 

I spend a lot of time listening to Pandora.  I've never been one to buy a lot of music - don't have much in the way of MP3's or a large CD collection.  I like lots of different music, get tired of hearing the same thing over and over again, and hate spending money to purchase music.  I listen primarily to alternative, mainstream rock, rap, and orchestra music - with other stuff mixed in.

Heavy bass does not impress me.  I love great midrange, and to be able to discern the individual components of the music I listen to.  Crisp, clear voices, the detail in instrumentals, and overall clarity is what I care about the most.  In addition to music, I actually listen to a lot of podcasts as well.  While quality audio doesn't matter as much for that, it's something to keep in mind.  When traveling, I'll use the laptop to watch movies, and sometimes watch movies at home on my patio.  At home, I'll also use it for streaming live sports and would like to listen to the game while my wife's watching something else in the other room. 

Occasionally, I would be using the headphones on my iPod, but for the most part I use the iPod when I'm working out with a cheap pair of sport headphones.

As for fit and comfort, and the closed/open decision - I have a big head, but fairly small ears.  I'm leaning towards closed phones since I may use them at work sometimes, and also when I travel.  I would like the benefit of good passive noise reduction for my flights.  Definitely want something fully around-ear and not just over-ear.

So, what should I do from here?  Do I need to consider upgrading my sound card first?  I don't know how good the onboard sound is on this laptop.  I think it's better than most, as it has been designed for multimedia use, but I'm sure it's not great.  How important is amplification?  I think my preference is to spend the money on headphones that don't need a lot of help to drive.  I'd like to stay fairly portable.

Branding doesn't matter to me.  Whatever sounds the best for what I'm using these for, I'm open to anything.  Thanks in advance for your input!

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
Greetings, head-fi'ers...

I've been trolling around on these boards ...

???

I think the onboard sound on the HP dv6 is pretty good (though it can definitely be improved upon with an external dac and amp). The Sennheiser HD 555/595 should fit your requirements, though they are open headphones and leak quite a bit of sound. I haven't heard and closed phones except IEMs, so I don't know about that.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Yeah, the Senns would be good if they weren't open. I would suggest something like the M50, or Creative Aurvana Live. The problem is, with a $200 budget and a preference of full sized headphones, it's often difficult to get desired sound when there just isn't enough power behind the source. If you would be willing to go portable rather than full sized (supra-aural rather than circumaural) there are a ton of better options. You could, however, just drive a pair of 32ohm Beyers. Maybe the DT770? Ultrasone doesn't exactly require the most juice, I've heard of people using the Hfi780s straight out of their iPod. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks... just realized that "trolling" wasn't the best word choice! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just been looking around, that's all!

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 15
I had looked at the Senn 595's, particularly since they seem to be easy to drive and are well within my price range ($165 on Amazon).  How bad is the sound leakage?  At home, not a big deal... how annoying would these be on a plane to the person sitting next to me (usually my wife!)  Happy wife, happy life, after all!

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I had looked at the Senn 595's, particularly since they seem to be easy to drive and are well within my price range ($165 on Amazon).  How bad is the sound leakage?  At home, not a big deal... how annoying would these be on a plane to the person sitting next to me (usually my wife!)  Happy wife, happy life, after all!

I'll be honest, the HD595s are great cans. At home they would be perfect for you. The problem is, I would not consider them even remotely portable cans. Number one, they're full sized. Number two, they're open and leak a lot of sound. Because they leak sound, you also hear everything that goes on around you. Not to mention it has like a 9 foot cable haha. You would have to crank up the volume to hear your music on a plane.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 15
ATH-M50 are good headphones at around $100. They are around-ear and closed. So they do provide passive noise reduction. The clamp is a little strong, so try them out before buying if you can, since you have a big head. It does loosen up with time though. I would definitely not recommend using open headphones on a plane. You'll need to crank them up very loud to hear anything over the engine noise. Loud enough to bother the person next to you and damage your hearing in the long run.

If you do get the M50s, I suggest spending the rest of your budget on a DAC/amp unit to use with your laptop. The M50s don't really need special amping, though they will benefit. It's more the DAC part of the DAC/amp that will let the M50s shine. You'll get a cleaner sound than from the laptop's onboard sound section. A computer has lots of noisy electronics on the inside, which a separate DAC will mostly be isolated from. Maybe a FiiO E7 or a uDac.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

I'll be honest, the HD595s are great cans. At home they would be perfect for you. The problem is, I would not consider them even remotely portable cans. Number one, they're full sized. Number two, they're open and leak a lot of sound. Because they leak sound, you also hear everything that goes on around you. Not to mention it has like a 9 foot cable haha. You would have to crank up the volume to hear your music on a plane.

I agree.. they would be a BAD choice on a plane, because of zero isolation. Plus they are pretty big and not the easiest to carry around. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 15
You guys are awesome - these M50's seem like what I've been looking for, and the Amazon product ratings back up what you're saying.  Where would I find these?  Any brick and mortar stores where I could try them out?  I live in Phoenix.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Most Guitar Centers and Sam Ash stores allow you to demo phones in the store so try to do that before you decide. I recently went through this same exercise and finally decided on the Shure SRH440 and will probably be adding the FiiO E7 dac/amp mentioned above which will all end up right at the $200 point (uDac-2 is another portable dac/amp in that price range people like). I really wanted to go with open/semi-open cans but they really are a little too noisy to use at work unless you have walls around you IMO and definitely not good for planes. On the other hand, closed cans like the 440s and M50s are not the most comfortable cans out there but I use the 440s all day and they're bearable. So in addition to the M50s I would recommend also trying the Shure SRH440s (or 840s if you can go highter) which I found a little less bass heavy.  HD448s also get high marks for budget closed cans but I didn't get to try those. If you can live with a little leakage try the AKG K240S also! Happy hunting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back