First time getting a portable amp. Need Help!
Sep 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

burnt toast

New Head-Fier
I have no idea where to even start when looking for a portable headphone amp. I won't something between 100-$150. I use Skullcandy SK Pro DJ headphones if that influences the amp you should get..?

Any recommendations would be great or if you want to educate me in what i should look for that would be great as well. Thanks

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 13
Is this a joke ? I'm not laughing.

Where do you even start with a post like this - Bose, maybe, but Skullcandy ???? OP, I'd probably start again with a different board name. And different cans.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 13
You don't buy something just because it exists, but because it meets some need that you have. No one can tell you what to look for - you need to know what you want/need. If you're serious, you're going to have to educate yourself to a certain extent. The search function on head-fi is your friend, as is Google. The most important part is to have fun and enjoy the journey!

Quote:
I have no idea where to even start when looking for a portable headphone amp. I won't something between 100-$150. I use Skullcandy SK Pro DJ headphones if that influences the amp you should get..?

Any recommendations would be great or if you want to educate me in what i should look for that would be great as well. Thanks

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 13

A great brand with several affordable portable amps is FiiO. Have a look here for a list of their AMPs. I only have experience with their E11, but can tell you it is excellent bang for buck, great battery life at 10 hours, and only requires a mini USB cable to charge.

There is also a great portable amp 'shootout' over here at Headfonia.

On the subject of headphones, if you're new to Head-Fi, you will soon discover there are a few brands that are disliked, typically from an overpriced and/or quality perspective. Skullcandy, along with Beats and Bose fall into this category. If you are happy with your headphones, power to you. If you're interested in upgrading, I'm sure you'll find several options that blow your Skullcandies out of the water over in Portable Headphones and IEMs forum.

The trap you'll fall into (like most of us), is that once you upgrade one component (amp), you'll then begin to be limited by either your media (low-encoded MP3s), source (cellphone, ipod headphone jack), or headphones. Get ready to begin spending a lot of time and money pursuing your ultimate portable kit. :)

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 13
Fiio E7 for about $100 will be a good starter for anyone. Read some reviews and you'll find that it's underpriced piece of equipment.

Also, you may have noticed a lot of hate and I would have to agree... sorry... If there's anything you should look for, it's better headphones. Skullcandy, Bose, and Beats by Dr. Dre are all the rankest of curse words around here. If you want portable Hifi, you might want to start looking at Grados SR80i or SR60i, both have great SQ for their price and are probbably cheaper than most Skullcandy headphones.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 13
FiiO E7 for started. It's very good for the price you pay.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Buy real headphones instead.

Quote:
Is this a joke ? I'm not laughing.
Where do you even start with a post like this - Bose, maybe, but Skullcandy ???? OP, I'd probably start again with a different board name. And different cans.

Gee, the OP's only crime is not being exposed to good quality choices (-- notice his post count of 2?).  Instead of being helped, he will probably write Head-fi off as a place for audio snobs who don't care about helping anyone below them. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Gee, the OP's only crime is not being exposed to good quality choices (-- notice his post count of 2?).  Instead of being helped, he will probably write Head-fi off as a place for audio snobs who don't care about helping anyone below them. 
rolleyes.gif

So you don't agree with my recommendation?

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 13

rolleyes.gif

His dedication (to mediocrity) cannot go unpunished. :evil:

That audio 'snobbery' doesnt stop at Skullcandy, btw - witness the numerous Grado-bashing threads on Head-Fi.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 13

rolleyes.gif

His dedication (to mediocrity) cannot go unpunished. :evil:

That audio 'snobbery' doesnt stop at Skullcandy, btw - witness the numerous Grado-bashing threads on Head-Fi.

Ok, ok -- maybe he will develop the thick skin you need to survive online. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back