First post, looking for a new headset around $400 budget
Aug 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 65
Does my decision get a thumbs up?

Just want to make sure, I've been known to have a bit of a trigger finger when it comes to shopping online :p

Will also try to wait for feedback for the other things touched on in my last post :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:
Does my decision get a thumbs up?

Just want to make sure, I've been known to have a bit of a trigger finger when it comes to shopping online :p

Will also try to wait for feedback for the other things touched on in my last post :)

HE400s smoke the pro900's. Then again if you direly need the isolation go for it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:
HE400s smoke the pro900's. Then again if you direly need the isolation go for it.

I think that with the type of sound the OP is looking for, the PRO900 would definitely work better. It's tight, close-up, brash, and bassy.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:
Oh man.. I'm so torn between the HE400's and Ultrasone 900 now, I think my head is starting to spin !!

The simple answer is, if you want something portable/isolating, go for the Ultrasones. However, if you are willing to put up with the cons of an open headphone, go for the HE-400s. IMO, the HE-400s are one of, if not the best headphones in the $400 range, especially when paired with an amp, even the Fiio E17. I would, however, wait for someone who owns/has owned both to give their input on the matter. 

Also, a LOD cable for the E17 is ~$10 (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L9-L-Shaped-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004QVNNI0), and I would not recommend getting into cables until you have determined what sound signature you prefer. As for pads, if you get the HE-400s, you might want to get some velours (http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117) as they have been said to heavily improve the overall sound quality. 

Either way, whatever you end up getting, you will definitely enjoy your purchase, be sure of that 
smily_headphones1.gif

Good Luck!

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 65
Okay this was a tough one, but I have made my decision. HE400 with e17 amp, velour pads and lod cable. $560!

I will deal with the cons of sound leakage, and pray I made the right decision for me!

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by razminr11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for pads, if you get the HE-400s, you might want to get some velours (http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117) as they have been said to heavily improve the overall sound quality. 

Anyone know if these Hifiman Velour ear pads fit on other headphones beside Hifiman's?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #24 of 65
Has anyone ever ordered direct from Hifiman before?

I googled the website and it was the top featured add http://hifiman.us/. I clicked on the store link from that webpage. I am a little suspicious, as the only payment method available was paypal, which I did. No receipt was sent to my e-mail, and when I check my paypal account it says that the account I just paid is linked to e-mail "head.direct.1@gmail.com". That doesn't look like a proper e-mail, and on the website they have @head-direct or @hifiman e-mails.. Plus: "Payment to Kewei Liu Completed $575.49 USD, verified Non-US resident" Who the hell is Kewei Liu, am I missing something??

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *HEADDIRECT1". Should that "1" even be there?

Then, when I go back to "http://head-direct.com/i/Order/", I see my order is pending on that website. Why the customer service # starts with 1-347 and probably not a toll free number, I have no idea.

Should I be worried about any of this? Tell me this isn't weird.

Maybe I should have went with the 900 or D5000's afterall!?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:
Has anyone ever ordered direct from Hifiman before?

I googled the website and it was the top featured add http://hifiman.us/. I clicked on the store link from that webpage. I am a little suspicious, as the only payment method available was paypal, which I did. No receipt was sent to my e-mail, and when I check my paypal account it says that the account I just paid is linked to e-mail "head.direct.1@gmail.com". That doesn't look like a proper e-mail, and on the website they have @head-direct or @hifiman e-mails.. Plus: "Payment to Kewei Liu Completed $575.49 USD, verified Non-US resident" Who the hell is Kewei Liu, am I missing something??

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *HEADDIRECT1". Should that "1" even be there?

Then, when I go back to "http://head-direct.com/i/Order/", I see my order is pending on that website. Why the customer service # starts with 1-347 and probably not a toll free number, I have no idea.

Should I be worried about any of this? Tell me this isn't weird.

Maybe I should have went with the 900 or D5000's afterall!?

Head-direct is the official retail site of the Hifiman brand. They are a fairly new boutique headphone brand so payment stuff is still pretty ghetto. No worries.

Even if they were I'm not sure you would want to use them. They attach an honestly very cheap mechanism that is somewhat prone to cracking.

Not true; the older Hifiman pads with clear plastic tabs were prone to cracking, the new pads (out since half a year ago at least) with solid black plastic ring and tabs do not crack, at all, they are extremely strong and flexible.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Not true; the older Hifiman pads with clear plastic tabs were prone to cracking, the new pads (out since half a year ago at least) with solid black plastic ring and tabs do not crack, at all, they are extremely strong and flexible.

Well i bought a pair of pads about two weeks ago. They didn't awe me with the way they attached, how securely they attached, or anything else. They were decent pads but there was a somewhat jury rigged feel to them.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Well i bought a pair of pads about two weeks ago. They didn't awe me with the way they attached, how securely they attached, or anything else. They were decent pads but there was a somewhat jury rigged feel to them.

It'll take a bit to crack the new mechanism, that's for sure. Just use a dull thin tool like a small ruler or a mini screwdriver to push in the tabs when installing the pads, and they should be fairly easy to install. Pulling them off is even easier.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:
It'll take a bit to crack the new mechanism, that's for sure. Just use a dull thin tool like a small ruler or a mini screwdriver to push in the tabs when installing the pads, and they should be fairly easy to install. Pulling them off is even easier.

But don't you agree that there is some play in the pad when it is installed that does not convey an overwhelming sense of solidness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back