First portable headphone amp...?
Feb 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the mustang also has beat out the pico in reviews also, but i know nothing of synergy between Iem's and portable amps, only with big cans.

what i was told is the p51 is warmer and more fun and the pico is colder

but dont get me wrong id take either, i cant decide on which amp i want for myself between the pico, rx and p51 either.

My opinion only, I owned both and I prefer Pico over Mustang when pairing with JH13 and ESW10JPN.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 23
Since portability is so important I would get a Pico Slim.
I have no doubt it performs really well either, but small physical size may be its strongest selling point.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All! Then compare and sell of the one(s) you like the least...
Or tell us a bit more about what you are looking for. Like what matters the most:
* Price tag
* Physical size
* Sound quality
* Weight
* Features

Also worth mentioning what it will be paired up with. Source ear-/headphones, music, ..

I find that and preferential bias to me of utmost importance when evaluating an amps performance. I simply cannot understand when folks say such and such amp is better than the other when they haven't assessed these amps through an array of headphones. A cheaper and much less hyped amp may synergize better with your phones that one that might be touted to be the best. Synergy between the various phones is too ooften an overlooked aspect when recommendations for amps are given.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #20 of 23
indeed synergy is of massive importance and the least understood. the amount of times I have to explain this in my job is rather large.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 23
The differences between the amps, which would amount to the tiny tonal differences between the different OPAMP chips used, would be far less than the difference between different headphones. I wouldn't worry as much about that as whether or not one NEEDS an amp with most IEMs. If you were to, say, get a Pico with DAC and intend to use that as a DAC for a larger amp, that makes more sense to me IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #22 of 23
Should one even AMP the 3GS?

It's such a good dap in it's own right, I'd question it TBH.
So, spend what you can on earphones.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 23
Meier 3move

Regular easy to get battery, good sound, less money, German engineering yah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back