First pics of the iAudio X5L Nekked Edition!!!
Sep 11, 2005 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

BIGtrouble77

100+ Head-Fier
x5ln-1.jpg

x5ln-2.jpg

It took me about 3 weeks to sand this puppy down. I basically chipped away with the dremel then steel wool'd the thing for countless hours. I had to take the X5 completely apart, which is NOT easy.

Everything is very delicate and the plastic parts are attached to the metal ones on the front side. Sanding the back was very easy, but the front was extremely hard- lots of curves and plastic that will melt.

In the end, I'm happy with the result. Just wanted a brushed metal look, nothing pretty and shiny. Still have a little more work to do on it, but i'm done for now. Considering the amount of work, it was hardly worth the effort.

-BT

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 59
now it really looks like a home made ipod. hehehehehehe
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 59
Even with "good" photography, I don't think this looks very nice... Sorry :|
This just looks a little too industrial. Kind of like you just found an old player in a garbage container and tried to clean it. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you brush the metal in _one_ specific way, as if to get a faux-stainless steel finish. I know I saw an iPod like this some time ago and it didn't look that bad. Maybe it isn't too late for your X5!

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
Even with "good" photography, I don't think this looks very nice... Sorry :|
This just looks a little too industrial. Kind of like you just found an old player in a garbage container and tried to clean it. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you brush the metal in _one_ specific way, as if to get a faux-stainless steel finish. I know I saw an iPod like this some time ago and it didn't look that bad. Maybe it isn't too late for your X5!

The point was to make a very slick, techy looking device look industrial. Kinda supposed to be the anthesis of the ipod style. Funny, now people are saying it looks more ipod-like.

I'm also not quite done, still have to clean a couple rough spots and another go with the steel wool to get that brushed look.

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 59
I'll just say this:

you're brave.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 59
I for one appreciate its spartan loft-styled industrial aesthetic...though I like the stock black just fine.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 59
btw, what you have now in the picture is no where near brushed metal...it is RAW metal. DIY brushed metal finish is not easy, especially with curves like that. I hope you can really come out with something that looks like brushed metal....

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 59
Probably be some funny expressions on the guys at Cowon, should he ever send this in for warranty work... haha (I know it was voided when taken apart)
It now looks like a silver razr phones big fat dumb brother.

did ya know they make one in silver w/o a color screen?

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 59
Probably be some funny expressions on the guys at Cowon, should he ever send this in for warranty work... haha (I know it was voided when taken apart)
It now looks like a silver razr phones big fat dumb brother.

did ya know they make one in silver w/o a color screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back