First pics of the iAudio X5L Nekked Edition!!!
Sep 12, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #31 of 59
As the others have said above aluminium oxidises really quickly.

One option would be to paint it with something cool
smily_headphones1.gif
eg POR15

If you paint it with this stuff you will NEVER need to worry about it getting scratched EVER again
smily_headphones1.gif
they call this stuff hammer-tough for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif

I have some stuff at home painted with this stuff and you can smack it with a hammer and it wont come off
smily_headphones1.gif
I managed to bruise the steel but not the paint
smily_headphones1.gif

--- Does this make me a paint nerd ?

Sep 12, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #33 of 59
I think it looks great. The curves come out much better on the raw metal compared to the stock paint.

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #34 of 59
Personally, I think that looks great, but has potential for more. If the metal were professionally polished, that thing would look INCREDIBLE, I'd say the same if you chromed the metal parts instead, but you probably already know they'd have to be stripped of their plastic before you could do that though.

Personally, when my project rebuild Rio Karma arrives, I'm going to see how much it'll cost for the clear resin, carbon fiber, and molding to replace the chaissis pieces, then replace the scroll wheel and Rio stick with higher quality urethane replacements. My brother makes surfboars and some skateboards, so he might know how to do it when the time comes.

580smile.gif
Abe

PS-Or you could always go for a Rhino Lining
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
, you'd have the most durable player ever!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otophonus
Looks ugly..
Unless you get a good finish or titanium colored paint . IMHO ,You just killed the glamour of your machine .

I agree. It looks like ****. I imagine the resale value of his unit went into the crapper.

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #37 of 59
Now it looks like i'm gonna have to try and finish it. I'm kinda sorry I posted it in it's current state now. I've been using it for about a month now completely sanded and just took pictures the other day.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #38 of 59
at least you have a fair few options/ideas re the final finish that the head-fi'ers have thrown at you!
tongue.gif

maybe you can take some pictures as you take it apart, and then write a little guide re whichever finish you end up choosing - now that would be cool!
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #39 of 59
I prefer it anodized than painted
biggrin.gif
they last longer too...but not if you mix them with keys again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
You're like the "metal" nerd in the forum arent you?
orphsmile.gif

icon10.gif
i just happened to know some stuff about it
biggrin.gif
damn...I'm no where close to looking like him:
nerd.jpg
mmmkay?
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #41 of 59
As someone who's (poorly) sanded down and repainted his Zen Xtra 3 times, I kinda like the way that X5 came out. I hate having things that look nice and clean (one of the reasons I don't like iPod's), and though this won't come across as a compliment, that X5 is the epitomy of not looking nice. I like it.

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #43 of 59
i think it looks badass
wink.gif

i am an industrial design major tho, so my opinions do vary slightly.

I currently own an iaudioX5 and although i do like the black colour, what you have done is also very cool and different.

I think that since your decision came out of necessity, scratching the finish, it was a noble and worthy endeavor.

i know how much time metal work takes though, but now that its done, i hope you are happy when you pull it out of your pocket. and hey, if you scratch it with your keys again, you wont even be able to notice.
tongue.gif

write me with any X5 info you come across, or any mods, EQs, setups etc you like

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #44 of 59
i wouldn't mind seeing a pic of it with the screen on..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back