First photo of E17
Dec 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #106 of 123
Quote:
You're mixing up "re-sampling" with compression. Re-sampling doesn't exist, you can't re-sample a file. When you compress a file, you take existing information and compress it into a smaller file (FLAC=8000+kbps -> mp3 320kbps) so the file goes from 35MB -> 7.48MB.
Sampling has no relative affect on the size of the file to my knowledge...

On the FLAC version (if the file has about 5000 kbps) then you will see about 5000 dots in the 1 second range you look at all arranged so the dots are compressed to seem like a line.
When you look at the 320kbs plot, you will see the same trend, but the dots will be more spread out throughout the graph and as a result, you will have a less "informative" graph.

I'm interested to know where you got FLACs at 8000kBps given that CD quality WAVs are a constant 1411kBps, most of my FLACs are ~800kBps and my few 96kHz/24 tracks are barely over 2000kBps. If we were talking kbits per second perhaps...

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #107 of 123

Quote:

I'm interested to know where you got FLACs at 8000kBps given that CD quality WAVs are a constant 1411kBps, most of my FLACs are ~800kBps and my few 96kHz/24 tracks are barely over 2000kBps. If we were talking kbits per second perhaps...

I couldn't remember the actual bit rate of a FLAC file as I usually deal with WAVs... either way, thanks for catching that, fixing now

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #109 of 123
Should we start calling the E17 the Fiio Alpen? Looks like Fiio is starting to use 'names' now going by what they said on their site (which I think is a wise choice, since the numbering scheme is getting quite busy in the Fiio lineup).

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #111 of 123

Quote:
The E17 supposedly has a much superior DAC section. That it can swallow HD audio is just a side-effect of the better chips. So I'm holding out.

If so, I'm game for an upgrade. I'd heard that the USB input stage was improved to allow for the 24/192 capability, but the chipset was essentially still the same. I understand the amp section is improved too, but given I'd be bypassing that by pairing it with an E9, again, I couldn't see how that would improve SQ in that setup. Unless part of that amp section upgrade was before the line-out... 

If only I could find a friendly retail outlet where I could actually *listen* to the two units... 
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #112 of 123

Quote:
If so, I'm game for an upgrade. I'd heard that the USB input stage was improved to allow for the 24/192 capability, but the chipset was essentially still the same. I understand the amp section is improved too, but given I'd be bypassing that by pairing it with an E9, again, I couldn't see how that would improve SQ in that setup. Unless part of that amp section upgrade was before the line-out... 

If only I could find a friendly retail outlet where I could actually *listen* to the two units... 
frown.gif

Despite the fact that the DAC chip itself(Wolfson W8740) the same as the E7, it will still sound better.  The quality of sound a DAC produces is more about the quality and implementation of the components around it, then what DAC chip is used.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #113 of 123
We did wants to use another better DAC chip, but they all need more power so the playtime of E17 may change to 6 hours, I think it is unacceptable. also the DAC chip is important, but it is not means everything because WM8740 will good enough for E17.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #115 of 123
Nice!  Spacious, majestic, with a commanding presence; words I hope describe the E17/Alphen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #117 of 123

Quote:
anyway, will it memorize our settings?
As I remember things about E7 back then, the first batch E7 will always change back to default volume after a power cycle... CMIIW

There is a volume memory is in the setting.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #119 of 123
With the upgraded amp section in the E17, will we hear much difference sonically between using it on its own and using it in conjunction with the E9? 

(Personally I use my DT770 250 Ohm headphones most, so drive might be a function, but I'm thinking in purely SQ terms)

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #120 of 123

Quote:
With the upgraded amp section in the E17, will we hear much difference sonically between using it on its own and using it in conjunction with the E9? 

(Personally I use my DT770 250 Ohm headphones most, so drive might be a function, but I'm thinking in purely SQ terms)

With the E9, you'll get better dynamics and a more open sound, but you'll likely lose a bit of musicality in the midrange due to the E9 being a bit drier in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back