First pair of Headphones!
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

DanOpi

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys.  I'm new here and have read some of the forums and topics and am still having a hard time coming to a decision.  I was all set to buy the Bose QC 15.  I looked online at Best Buy reviews and every review was great.  However when I looked at other sites and forums where audiophiles are active they tended to stay away from Bose.  So i'm at a loss of what to look for or get.

I'll give you some requirements or what i'm looking for in the headphones and see if someone can point me in the right direction!

1. So i'm looking to spend the least amount possible without losing too much quality.  I'll set the price cap at $200 to start but if I can get something a lot better for an extra 50 dollars I may think about it.
  2. I almost never fly.  I thought the Noise Cancellation on the Bose was so cool and thought it would be nice to have however.
  3. I'll be a freshman in college next year and so I was planning on using these while studying in the library.  So it'd be good if they didn't bleed any sound out while I was listening.  Also the NC comes in handy here in case people are being loud.
  4. I'll be the using the headphones for my iPod, Phone, and Computer.
  5. Over the ears seem to be more style but I'd look at a on the ear set I suppose.
  6. Sound quality is not a huge factor to me since the music I have isn't super high quality but I would like to get a nice sound.  I'm no audiophile and so a set with decent sound quality would probably suffice.
  7. I would like them to be pretty sturdy too so I don't break them but this isn't huge.  Just would be nice to have.

That's about all I think of.  If you have any questions for me just let me know so you can help me out!  

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
~DanOpi

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 35
You said sound quality is not important and the Bose meet your criteria. Get the Bose. They're comfortable and inoffensive. Head-fi has a general focus on sound quality and traits so I'm not sure how much help these forums will be to you.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 35
You could look into Ultimate Ears UE-6000. They are $200, also have noise cancelling, but have a better overall sound (and look 
wink_face.gif
) than the bose.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 35
you don't need noise cancellation if you are in a library, noise cancellation cancels the noise from your surrounding not your music to your surrounding, you are basically paying for $100 dollars extra for that feature

just get a closed headphone

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 35
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

ask away

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

ask away

It's like shoveling in a blizzard, people will still make new threads.

Anyway, lets start with the usual.
What kind of music do you listen to OP?

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 35
I'm not a headphone expert, but I just tried on the Sony MDR-XB500 at Costco. They are not noise cancelling, but their design does a very good job of isolating you from outside noise. The sounds doesn't leak at all. Even if you are not playing music, the pads block out a lot of outside noise. The headphones overemphasize bass, but reviews on Amazon say an equalizer fixes this problem. If you don't mind the bass, you won't have to fix it, it doesn't sound bad just really bass heavy. They are very comfortable.

The ATH-M50 is a very commonly recommended closed headphone, I have tried it and it sounds good, better than the Sonys I just mentioned. It's a bit bass heavy but not nearly as much as the Sonys.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 35
Well I mainly listen to Rap, R&B, and some Pop.  But I do on certain occasions listen to different types of music such as Country, Acoustic, Rock, and even Metal sometimes.  So the music I listen to is very broad. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 35
I really like my Sennheiser HD-25's. I've had them for about 6 months now and I use them every day.
 They are on-ear (not over the ear like you were originally looking for), but are extremely comfortable, I wear these about 5-6 hours a day, no issues here. They also dont leak much sound, and they are very isolating, IMO.
The bass on them is more than enough for me and it really works well with the genres of music you listed, again IMO.

Build quality on there amazing. Just do a search on these forums and you will see that almost every thread about these headphones has something about them being very very durable, perfect for commuting to and from class, just toss them in your bag and go.

They can be found on Amazon right now for about $180-200.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD25-1-II-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B000TDZOXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357346818&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+25

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 35
I've looked at all the ones mentioned.  But I have no idea which I like the most because I can't try them on.  Is there a store that I could go to and try them or how do you know what you like before you buy them?  The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros look pretty cool though.  Also do I still get some noise isolation with close headphones?  I'd like to keep some ambient noise and such out if that's possible.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back