First Nice Headphones M50 ... Did I make the right choice?
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 24
Give me some suggestions .. the DAC would just be for my desktop/laptop right?

Nothing I can do about the portable issue .. 

But If the DAC USB would work im down for some some suggestions. 

Because I really do love the sound on these things I just feel I need a lil more of it :]]]]]

Plus .. If im going to start might as well get something I can work with in the future too .

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 24
You will get a lot more with a dedicated DAC (in your case it would be a USB DAC unless your laptop has other digital out) than buying a more expensive headphone (and assuming better too) and using it with your laptop's headphone out. After buying a Gamma-2 I'm a believer in source is what you need to start with and I don't think there are many others would argue with me on that. Generally we all have the same rule of thumb: garbage in -> garbage out.

For portable use, if you are enthusiasm enough you will want to look into iMod or a media player that has digital out like an old model of iRiver which I don't remember the name. But I personally don't care much about dedicated source for portable use since I don't think I can do a serious listening when I'm walking or on a train. There are much serious things to care about when you are out and about. Say, cars? Thieves? Gangsters? Or maybe dogs too?

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 24
SillyHoney, So can you name me a few sources thatll give me justice? 

Im thinking about getting a gretting nice DAC so even for later headphoens that need juice .. [beyers] ill be able to give them power no problem .. im thinking ahead :]

Appreciate all the help  btw .. 
dt880smile.png

BTW Im looking for a DAC/AMP right ? 

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 24
ibasso D4 or upcoming D12. in between there is the D10 it has the quality of D12 but lacks the funtion of D4.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #22 of 24
Yeah you don't need to spend a lot given your current headphone. Under $150 should be perfectly fine. You should look into Source thread. There are many thread regarding budget sources over there.

You can choose either DAC or Amp/DAC combo. The amp section will guarantee you on your future headphone given it's not too hard to drive. However the DAC is what you really need at the moment for much improvement in resolution and clarity.

I'm using uDac-2 and it comes close to my Gamma-2. Bonus is it has pretty nice amp built-in too. Go to nuforce website for details.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 24
I have the D2000 and the Ultrasone Pro750 and both have excellent bass.  I find that the Pro750's have a little more base punch.  The Denons are very smooth and prehaps too smooth for your musical taste.  You may want to try the Pro750's.  I picked up a pair for less than $200 on Ebay - very nice headphones.  I have not determined which of the two I prefer but am leaning towards the Denons at this point.  You will probably find the most improvement in headphones rather than amplifiers or DAC's in my experience.  Cheers,  Dub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back