First news of the Teclast T59 HiFi Player
Oct 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #61 of 309

Please give me more detail so I know your stance, what HP/IEM did you use in the A/B, and what did you like more on the HM-601?

The Hifiman is colored as Inks says and it has more emphasis on the mids and bass. I like this as I get more detail overall in the sound and the treble is smoother due to the filter in the Hifiman. This pairs well with brighter cans for instance. I compared them with my Silver cabled IE8s (which are on the bright side to be honest). I found I got more detail and more of a wow factor with the Hifiman. Also the sound staging and separation seem better on the Hifiman. The Sflo2's has emphasis on the treble, I would call that coloration as well, it overshadows the mids with its treble. I tested through both the Line out and the Headphones out and the Hifiman beats the Sflo2 on both in my opinion. The Sflo2 has a pretty nice and warm amp for its Headphone out but the 601's is better. The line out of the Sflo2 is were the magic is honestly. I could easily use the Hifiman stock amp and be happy, not so much with the Sflo2s head phone out. Using the Hifimans line out minimizes the rolled off highs yet I still get a very nice and smooth sound which I prefer. I hate scratchy overemphasized treble (ear killer).:)

Not to mention the sflo2 was a complete no no with the EX1000s (I sold them anyways, hated the ear bleeding treble spike on them lol). My FX700s are way better than the EX1000s in my opinion. The timbre is to die for. I do miss the super tight and low bass on the Sony but it had too many shortcomings to keep (Thin sound, not enough bass quantity, treble spike in lower region, 90 day joke of a warranty, not very friendly with people with big ear canals, memory wire is crap).

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #62 of 309
After the X3 got canned (or at least put on hold indefinitely) I'm clueless as to what player to get next. An iPod Touch + CLAS + amp is just such an expensive options, but I am fickle about things like having to sort though my entire library and edit all the file names just so they display in order on the player's UI and stuff like that. Also if anything goes wrong, I don't want to have to faff about waiting months and not even knowing if a company has received the thing when it goes wrong. I'd consider the T59 IF

a) the UI doesn't suck and it 'just works' (is this another rockchip player?!)
b) the battery life is better than the T51
c) it's sold via a mainland UK outlet where if something goes wrong, I don't have to embark on a mission for a refund/repair/replacement.

I liked the sound of my S:Flo2 but however expensive, an iPod + CLAS + amp, or the HP-P1 means high quality sound with a high quality UI and little things like smart playlists and 64GB storage and I'm not really in the mood to have to make something work to enjoy it. I'm not sure a Hifiman is for me either. Grrrr.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #63 of 309
After the X3 got canned (or at least put on hold indefinitely) I'm clueless as to what player to get next. An iPod Touch + CLAS + amp is just such an expensive options, but I am fickle about things like having to sort though my entire library and edit all the file names just so they display in order on the player's UI and stuff like that. Also if anything goes wrong, I don't want to have to faff about waiting months and not even knowing if a company has received the thing when it goes wrong. I'd consider the T59 IF

a) the UI doesn't suck and it 'just works' (is this another rockchip player?!)
b) the battery life is better than the T51
c) it's sold via a mainland UK outlet where if something goes wrong, I don't have to embark on a mission for a refund/repair/replacement.

I liked the sound of my S:Flo2 but however expensive, an iPod + CLAS + amp, or the HP-P1 means high quality sound with a high quality UI and little things like smart playlists and 64GB storage and I'm not really in the mood to have to make something work to enjoy it. I'm not sure a Hifiman is for me either. Grrrr.

Just get an extended warranty from square trade. So in the event something does happen they can just pay you what you paid for the player and you can just move on. I recommended another headfier do this (I also use square trade) and he actually used the warranty on his T51. I think he could have fixed it though, he didn't know about the reset buttons lol. Square trade refunded him non the less.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #66 of 309

The Hifiman is colored as Inks says and it has more emphasis on the mids and bass. I like this as I get more detail overall in the sound and the treble is smoother due to the filter in the Hifiman. This pairs well with brighter cans for instance. I compared them with my Silver cabled IE8s (which are on the bright side to be honest). I found I got more detail and more of a wow factor with the Hifiman. Also the sound staging and separation seem better on the Hifiman. The Sflo2's has emphasis on the treble, I would call that coloration as well, it overshadows the mids with its treble. I tested through both the Line out and the Headphones out and the Hifiman beats the Sflo2 on both in my opinion. The Sflo2 has a pretty nice and warm amp for its Headphone out but the 601's is better. The line out of the Sflo2 is were the magic is honestly. I could easily use the Hifiman stock amp and be happy, not so much with the Sflo2s head phone out. Using the Hifimans line out minimizes the rolled off highs yet I still get a very nice and smooth sound which I prefer. I hate scratchy overemphasized treble (ear killer).
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to mention the sflo2 was a complete no no with the EX1000s (I sold them anyways, hated the ear bleeding treble spike on them lol). My FX700s are way better than the EX1000s in my opinion. The timbre is to die for. I do miss the super tight and low bass on the Sony but it had too many shortcomings to keep (Thin sound, not enough bass quantity, treble spike in lower region, 90 day joke of a warranty, not very friendly with people with big ear canals, memory wire is crap).

The soundstage was actually one of the worst I've heard in the Hifimans, reminding me of certain Cowons (D2). S:Flo2 doesn't have treble emphasis, it's pretty flat, it won't go up and down in frequency response the way the Hifimans do. Both actually have channel imbalances, the S:Flo2's is a bit worse though. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #67 of 309

The soundstage was actually one of the worst I've heard in the Hifimans, reminding me of certain Cowons (D2). S:Flo2 doesn't have treble emphasis, it's pretty flat, it won't go up and down in frequency response the way the Hifimans do. Both actually have channel imbalances, the S:Flo2's is a bit worse though.  

To my ears I wouldn't call it flat. Treble is prominent on Sflo2. It definitely lets you know its there to cut you with glass lol. Its a very digital sounding player at that.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #68 of 309
I would call it that if it had some roll-off on the bass that will emphasize the treble but it doesn't. Haven't seen or heard anything that will indicate a "treble emphasis", it's really one of the most linear players out there along with the clip+.  I think this is a matter of perception, it may be that you tend to like a smoothed out treble thus your preference for the Hifiman. 

Also, a lot of the times some misplace the sound on the player. If a good low-output impedance, transparent source pairs with an IEM and makes it sound treble lenient, it may just be the fact that the true nature of the IEM is being shown as it isn't rolling off frequencies and showing it all. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #69 of 309
I would call it that if it had some roll-off on the bass that will emphasize the treble but it doesn't. Haven't seen or heard anything that will indicate a "treble emphasis", it's really one of the most linear players out there along with the clip+.  I think this is a matter of perception, it may be that you tend to like a smoothed out treble thus your preference for the Hifiman. 

Well comparing it to other DAP I use such as Sansa Fuze and iphone 4 the Sflo2 treble was always more prominent. Especially through it's line out. I still enjoyed it more than the iphone as Sansa fuze though but the treble was always a bit much.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #70 of 309
To me, the S:Flo2 sounded about the about same as the Clip+ in response (though more dynamic and open). I did remember it as a tiny bit more bright than the clip+ though.  The Iphone 4 is a bit smoother than both for me. The J3 on the other hand, is brighter than all these mentioned and truly somewhat treble lenient. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #71 of 309
To me, the S:Flo2 sounded about the about same as the Clip+ in response (though more dynamic and open). I did remember it as a tiny bit more bright than the clip+ though.  The Iphone 4 is a bit smoother than both for me. The J3 on the other hand, is brighter than all these mentioned and truly somewhat treble lenient. 

Glad I didn't get the J3 then :wink:.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #72 of 309

Quote:
After the X3 got canned (or at least put on hold indefinitely) I'm clueless as to what player to get next.

I'm in the same position as you...

Fii0 X3 looked awesome until it got cancelled (for now)
Teclast T59 seems promising, release date TBA (Wi-Fi? interesting indeed; perhaps there will be internet browsing capabilities?
blink.gif
)
ooor the popular J3, kind of expensive
iPod Touch + LOD is an option but I kind of wanted to avoid the iPod line...though the Classic might be phased out and it might be the cheapest ($/GB ratio)

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #73 of 309
I looked at small tablets as well, and, alas, the Android ones, although having a s/pdif output in some instances on paper, in reality don't output digital audio. I think the Archos A5 has a coax output that could be fed to something like an iBasso DB2 + amp of choice or something of theirs that's a combined unit, but I can't find much info out. Grrr, why can't more devices with decent firmware offer a proper digital out?!

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #74 of 309
Quote:
When I A & B'd the Sflo2 with the 601 there was really no reason for me to keep the Sflo2 -

+1 on this BUT hifiman DAP-s are bigger and not as portable as teclast T51, this is why I had not bought HiFiMan at all... Also disappointed with FIIO's lately news... 

I think that bad news from FIIO brought Teclast topics back to life. As a matter of a fact, HiFiMan DAPs have unique sound 'coloration'. These play bass like no other dap I had ever heard. Yes, I know, coloration isn't a good thing generally speaking, but guys, when it brings you to audio nirvana like no other device, WHO the hell cares ? 

Am also quite sad about latest T59 news... If Teclast is serious about the design and size, leaving no change to fit inside my jeans pockets, the device is not for me (and many others like me)...

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #75 of 309
GPS, Windows (lol, GL!), etc, what a bunch of BS specs and I'm sure the price will not be favorable.  That alone tells me the they have no idea wth they are doing w/ this thing.  

Btw, channel imbalance has nothing to do w/ dual DACs.  That's done for noise floor and the imbalance is in the potentiometer used.

I liked the 60x as a better resolving device (maybe due to hi-res files) despite the coloration.  Actually the only the reason I still have it is for the NOS DAC.  Either way my UHA6S kills them all, I just need a DAP/phone to feed it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back