First listening impressions/reviews of Q1 2009 Purity Audio Kicas and Caliente Group buy
Mar 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #46 of 131
IMGP0486.JPG

IMGP0495.JPG

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #47 of 131
Here's my Spring Break set-up

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Some notes about the chassis:
1) Logos/Stickers are properly lined with the chassis and power switch.

2)The green LED on the power switch is very dim and VERY welcomed...it makes the Valab blue led look like a freakin laser pointer.

3)The face plate is flush with the main chassis, unlike the Valab in which the power supply inside caused the chassis to warp a bit so that it isn't flush with the face plate.

4) Paint is top notch

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #49 of 131
Wanted to throw up some pictures of my K.I.C.A.S. Sorry for the camera phone quality.
redface.gif

After listening all day, all I can say is the tonality and P.R.a.T. is killer with this amp! (BTW, that's an unmodded Denon D5000, but it will soon have the pad mod applied once I get some fiberloft in next week)

KICASAngle.jpg

KICASAngleClose.jpg

KICASClose.jpg

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #51 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobpensik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ARG everyone is getting theirs but me! Mine is supposedly still in MISSISSAUGA, ON and has been there since Friday!

Canada Post... Don't even get me started!

Don't assume it's still in Mississauga - they've probably not updated the tracking number is all...

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #52 of 131
Got mine today and out of the box I have to say I am impressed with the build quality, light weight yet rock solid.
For burn in i'm using a 'not so good source' but even so I can definitely tell that the bass has alot more control.. nice!
Can't wait to hook it up to the Onkyo ... Oh and tomorrow the 650s should be here.
icon10.gif

PAcaliente.jpg

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #53 of 131
^been givin' my 650's a real workout for the last couple days.... their sound is improving more than I'd have suspected -- all at about 1pm on the dial....that's basically the sweet spot according to all our observations.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #54 of 131
so much for waiting .. might as well listen while burning in.

It really turns the the M50 into a bass monster! Incredibly it at no time yet has overpowered the mids or highs and VERY punchy.
Also the treble is noticibly more extended, to me at least.. with this gear.

set1.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

I'm really diggin it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #55 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't assume it's still in Mississauga - they've probably not updated the tracking number is all...

Hope you're right!

I'm just anxious to get my hands on it is all
L3000.gif
atsmile.gif
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #56 of 131
here's some pictures
IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

so i got my level problem all fixed up.
and i'll say, YES IT GETS REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD.
now i actually worry that past 3 O'clock i'll end up breaking my HD650s the diaphragms move so much.

I'm really happy with the bass response.
I'll report tomorrow with more in depth review.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #58 of 131
Internal shots please
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #59 of 131
I was going to PM Oriel, but decided I might as well say it publicly ........so, here we are:

Hi Oriel,
Got Caliente near evening, yesterday. You guys have done a very nice job from beginning of ordering process thru to end of getting/hearing the amp. At first listen I can't help wondering about the eventual result of connecting to Pico dac.. Right now the initial quick and easy setup is 4th gen iMod / Zu Pivot / Headphile Terminator, and now changed to Grado RS-1 "semi vintage".
My first listen suggests Rob (Skylab) nailed it pretty accurately in his review.
Now for the hard work at hand - the burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Bob
BTW - listening now, and a Leonard Cohen track came up (I'm Your Man) and never heard him as well and with as great depth as the addition of the Caliente permits. Previously heard Dee Dee Bridgewater in background off mic. that hadn't been evident during prior listenings. Magnificent detail.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #60 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Internal shots please
smily_headphones1.gif

already been done, check skylab's thread for details...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back