First listening impressions/reviews of Q1 2009 Purity Audio Kicas and Caliente Group buy
Mar 17, 2009 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

CompressionalFlagellation

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]I'd like to dedicate this thread to first impressions/reviews of the 2009 [size=xx-small](first quarter)[/size] Purity Audio Kicas and Caliente Group buy; this group consists of:[/size]
  1. Got Milk? - Caliente
  2. oinkbanana - Caliente
  3. iGig - Caliente
  4. tescosamoa - Caliente
  5. JGP08 - Caliente
  6. greymoor - Caliente
  7. tune_in - Caliente
  8. Mecc - Caliente
  9. rantamplann - Caliente
  10. Mik - Caliente
  11. Lamenthe - Caliente
  12. Ripley - K.I.C.A.S.
  13. hoodlum - Caliente
  14. circuit8 - Caliente
  15. bobpensik - Caliente
  16. taikero - K.I.C.A.S.
  17. warrior05 - Caliente
  18. Powerslave - Caliente
  19. ROBBOR - K.I.C.A.S.
  20. Teh Flajj - Caliente
  21. schoenberg - Caliente
  22. BushGuy - Caliente
  23. meusikfrek - Caliente
  24. jsedgewick - Caliente
  25. Xan7hos - Caliente

[size=medium]So go ahead and feel free to input your feedback, and happy listening.[/size]

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 131
[size=medium]

[size=small]For reference: Describing Sound - A Glossary[/size]

Critical Listening Setup
CDs/FLACs --> Foobar2000 --> ASIO --> NI G-Rig 3 K-Board --> KICAS Caliente --> Senns HD650

HD650/Caliente Pre Burn-in Base Evaluation

Preface

[size=small]This base evaluation of the KICAS caliente amp/HD650 combo, serves not only in documenting my preliminary listening impressions, but also to log my transition from the world of mere mortals -- and their inferior sound making machines – to that of a far-reaching, shimmering, ethereal landscape; a dimension were night and day exist together; were its encounter is perceived like that of a dream within a dream; a world in which people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people; a…

Anyways, this is my first piece of Hi-Fi gear, along with my HD650 headphones, and I’d like to jot down my observations -- strictly in relation to music listening -- of what it’s like to go from things like ipods, cheap plastic ear buds, crappy pc sound cards, run of the mill CD players, and general purpose home theater receivers. I may include here a synopsis of my last regular, mundane, headphone listening experience through some of these aforementioned items I have lying around my place. Please stand by. [size=x-small]~3/18/09[/size][/size]

Base Evaluation

[size=small]So I spent a few minutes A/B'ing the caliente with my A/V receiver's headphone out, and -- without any burn in what so ever --note an already marked improvement over the A/V unit. There isn't much more to say presently, other than that of a dedicated headphone amp being better than a generic headphone output, specially for the HD650s -- duh. Both headphone and amp are burning in now, so the only question remaining is, "what improvement will be revealed after a good 100 hours?" ~3/23/09[/size]

HD650/Caliente Post 100 hour Burn-in Impressions

...[/size]

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 131
damn teaser, now deliver please
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 131
hehe, I have not received the amp yet, it's en route; I should have it by Friday or Saturday I'm guessing.

I started my post above just to get my thoughts in order, thus, it is pending. I'll have my base eval. most likely by next week, just to see how much things change after burn-in. Both headphone and amp will be basically fresh, although I have listened to the Hd650 though my HT receiver and X-fi sound card, but that doesn't really count in my opinion.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 131
can we have jackets?!
beyersmile.png

I'll be away from my place for a while, so I imagine I won't be able to get a hold of it until Tuesday of next Week, but rest assured, Spring Break is amongst us and I'll have plenty of burn in/listening time to contribute.

On a side note, anyone have suggestions for music to test out on this? I listen mostly to alternative/rock. I'll take any suggestions/genres

Very excited!

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 131
I picked it up at lunch today and have been listening for an hour now. It sound very good but that is as far as I willing to go until it has had 100+ hours of burn-in.

I will be providing an indepth review once I have had a chance to thoroughly compare it with my PH100 and VHP2. Listening will be done with my K601/K701 headphones. I also have an SPL meter that I used to test my home system and a frequency sweep test CD from my car stereo competition days (almost 20 years ago
eek.gif
). Hope to be able to provide both subjective and objective comments.

You'll need to be patient.
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 131
Im eager to hear your impressions against the VHP-2 Hoodlum
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you run the VAC-1 with your VHP-2..??

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im eager to hear your impressions against the VHP-2 Hoodlum
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you run the VAC-1 with your VHP-2..??

No I don't.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe, I have not received the amp yet, it's en route; I should have it by Friday or Saturday I'm guessing.

Ahaaa! Just a bit early with impressions thread... No problem.
...as long as you keep us updated.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 131
I am dying to see comparisons to the Heed Canamp. Particularly about the soundstaging or presentation or what you would call it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 131
I just got mine in the mail!! toronto to montreal in 2.5 days..... you might be getting yours today as well.
will post pics and review later.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 131
first first impressions are that it isn't loud enough.
i'll try different sources and see if that improves

got things set up and i'm 'burning in' ... kind of awkward that i'm using open back headphones for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back