First Impressions: Whiplash Audio WhipMOD and Elite TWag Reference WhipLOD Combo
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #46 of 113
Question for Craig and other WhipMod owners. So I have everything set up ... WhipMod, Reference LOD AKA Fat Boy, OM Twag and ALO Rx Amp and two pair of customs (JH13s and Rooth 8 driver). Today something kicked in to a whole new level with very little burn in time, so looking forward to what it will sound like after hours and hours.

The question I have is: I noticed with my previous iMod hooked up to my ALO Rx amp that when I turned the volume down on the iMod it did not affect any volume level at all. The volume was controlled at the amp source. However, in the case of the WhipMod I turn the volume and it affects the volume level. What is the reason for this?I am bit concerned as I am not sure how far I have or will need to turn up the amp. Has anyone else noticed this? Thoughts? My instinct tells me it has to do with how the WhipMod was rewired but ...

Thanks in advance.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #47 of 113

Quote:
Question for Craig and other WhipMod owners. So I have everything set up ... WhipMod, Reference LOD AKA Fat Boy, OM Twag and ALO Rx Amp and two pair of customs (JH13s and Rooth 8 driver). Today something kicked in to a whole new level with very little burn in time, so looking forward to what it will sound like after hours and hours.

The question I have is: I noticed with my previous iMod hooked up to my ALO Rx amp that when I turned the volume down on the iMod it did not affect any volume level at all. The volume was controlled at the amp source. However, in the case of the WhipMod I turn the volume and it affects the volume level. What is the reason for this?I am bit concerned as I am not sure how far I have or will need to turn up the amp. Has anyone else noticed this? Thoughts? My instinct tells me it has to do with how the WhipMod was rewired but ...

Thanks in advance.

Ouch, that's not the way it should work.  Mine doesn't do this.  Craig?

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #48 of 113

Quote:
Ouch, that's not the way it should work.  Mine doesn't do this.  Craig?

Yes maybe ouch is the right word? I have it rockboxed, but that should not have any affect as the iMod was rockboxed and it still didn't do it?

Craig?

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #49 of 113
Can you play the Whipmod on conventional iPod stereo docks (like iHome and Bose) without doing any damage to the Whipmod?  I ask because I believe the iMod can only be used with an LOD with caps or the vcap dock, and Red Wine warned that damage could be done to the iMod if it was used with any other docks.

I don't own any of those crappy stereo docks, but my friends do and it would be nice to be able to use the Whipmod at their places.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #52 of 113
I use my Whipmod with Onkyo Transport,Bose Sounddock and in my Car(Harma Kardon Kit) .So far  No problem.
But actually the following is the email from Vinnie Rossie to a friend of mine.

"

If you use the 5/5.5 ipod (or imod) with the onkyo, it will work only in "extended mode". This means that it will give you only the
digital output, but you will not be able to view your songs. This is the same for the Wadia.
Those products are for 6th gen ipod or newer......
If they plug in the imod and try to use the onkyo analog outputs, there are no DC blocking capacitors and this can damage their imod
or headphone amplifier. But it should be fine for the digital output."

That's mean it is not the safest way to use the Whipmod or Imod with the Bose Sounddock.
You should email Craig ,if you want to make sure that Whipmod can be used with the stereo docks.

Quote:
Can you play the Whipmod on conventional iPod stereo docks (like iHome and Bose) without doing any damage to the Whipmod?  I ask because I believe the iMod can only be used with an LOD with caps or the vcap dock, and Red Wine warned that damage could be done to the iMod if it was used with any other docks.

I don't own any of those crappy stereo docks, but my friends do and it would be nice to be able to use the Whipmod at their places.

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #53 of 113
It's one of two things:

Rockbox utility, make sure you downloaded the correct version

The LOD, but I doubt that.  Try rebooting to your normal UI along with trying another LOD even if it does not have caps....just play it at a low volume, and u will be fine

@ Coolcat

Have you attempted using the analog outputs on your docking unit?   

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #54 of 113

Quote:
It's one of two things:

The LOD, but I doubt that.  Try rebooting to your normal UI along with trying another LOD even if it does not have caps....just play it at a low volume, and u will be fine

@ Coolcat

Yea we just figured out that it was the rockbox....

Its all good!!
Craig

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #55 of 113
Craig, did you get my email or PM?  PM sent yesterday, email today.  Thanks.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #56 of 113

Quote:
It's one of two things:

@ Coolcat

It is indeed the rockbox software that is allowing the volume level to be affected. sdotfire, I am using the most recent version or RB. What version do you use? I used an older version when I had my iMod and it did not do that. I am wondering if it really matters?

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #57 of 113
I don't, I feel like the parametric EQ is not needed.  What amp are you using?  The only reason I RBed mine was for more bass lol, but with the right amp and cable it's completely unneccessary IMHO....unless you want to customize the UI but I have grown quite partial to my STD Apple UI,,,,

I'll check out which one I had though when I get back from work later this afternoon....

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #58 of 113
OK, well I believe in order to figure this out, the WhipMOD needs to be restored to its original state.

Skoog5600, can you please restore your WhipMOD. Before adding any additional software, can you test it that way?

Also does the WhipLOD work on another modded iPod? Does the WhipMOD work on other LODs with caps in them?

Lets start there. Sorry for making my comments, but you said that must of been it. I have been told by a few others months ago that this could cause an issue. Since its not my software, I was not inclined to test it.

So, lets try that.

Thanks!!
Craig

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #59 of 113
Hi
I'm trying to decide whether to buy an Imod or WhipMod and im confused on a few things

What i think i know:
So my understanding of the imod and whipmod is that the amp and internal circutry is bypassed directly to the Line out of the ipod, then external black gate caps stored in the LODs improve over the basic ipod parts.  

So im confused with the LOD part, is it still possible to use the imod or whipmod without each company's respective LODs?  Or would one have to purchase the LOD with black gates to benefit from either party's mod?

Thanks for any info you can provide
BTW if anyone is looking to sell an Imod or WHipMod PM me

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #60 of 113

Quote:
OK, well I believe in order to figure this out, the WhipMOD needs to be restored to its original state.

Skoog5600, can you please restore your WhipMOD. Before adding any additional software, can you test it that way?

Also does the WhipLOD work on another modded iPod? Does the WhipMOD work on other LODs with caps in them?

Lets start there. Sorry for making my comments, but you said that must of been it. I have been told by a few others months ago that this could cause an issue. Since its not my software, I was not inclined to test it.

So, lets try that.

Thanks!!
Craig

I have already tested the WhipMod using the Apple UI and it works fine, the volume level does not change, only through the Rx amp does the level change. 

As I mentioned the iMod I had, had an older version of the Rockbox software. What I loaded on the WhipMod was the newest version. So I think that is it.

Anyway, loving the sound of this baby. Wish I had straps and the sticker on the back.

Other than that tis a beautiful ting maan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back