First impressions of the Hifiman RE-ZEROs (first pair of IEMs!)
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 31
@esanthosh, i'd audition the RE-ZEROs and see if i notice any difference from the RE0.if i dont, i'd be going again with the RE0s and but an LOD and SoundMagic foam tips from lynx only.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 31
Just to echo what psgarcha92 was saying, relax on the upgrades for now and take some time to appreciate the phones. I've had my Zeros for a few months now and with a bit of EQing, they're an amazing pair of phones. Do you really believe that the DBA-02s are going to be a massive jump up from these? If you do, I think (I don't know for sure) you'll be disappointed. Judging from what people say about them around here, they're great for the price, but they don't seem to be a significant upgrade over the Zeros. Rather save up and jump a tier or two if you can and appreciate the difference then. To me, the Zeros seem to be the top of the mid tier stack and only if you get SM3, IE8, EQ7/5 or CK10/100s or similar will you see a significant difference. I'm a newbie to all of this, but this is just my 2c on the matter as I had similar feelings when I first got my phones.

Personally, for me, doing the research and reading reviews is sometimes almost as much fun as buying items and using them. I try not to confuse the two activities as it can get expensive very quickly.

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Please give me your impressions on the dba-02s vs. the zeros! Are they worth getting? What are the main differences? The dba-02s were a contender as well, and I would love to hear about them.

I was just teasing
tongue.gif
. The main difference will be with respect to driver speed. But, is it a significant upgrade for you to worry about right now? Not at all.

IMHO, RE0/RE-ZERO are the starting point of the law of diminishing returns. Beyond them, there are (many more) better IEMs, but the upgrades are not similar to moving from a $20 IEM to RE0.I suggest that you use RE-ZERO for 3-6 months (or more), get an idea of what you exactly need, fix your sound preferences and then look for an upgrade.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #21 of 31
cool man, you've got a tech savvy gf who cares about her headphones hehe.mine is in the making. :)

EDIT: BTW, do u think ur gf would love the RE0s? or the RE-ZEROs? took me some time to fall in love with the signature sound of the RE0s, u know.i mean, u introduce the EP630s to people and they are like, "Man they have bass". on the first encounter, i dont think people not on head-fi or not so tech savvy frnds would feel, why the hell did he spend $100 on these?

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 31
I feel it's more resultant of genres of music as well. My girlfriend listens to stuff like "The Knife" a lot. Very detailed production, lots of bleeps and bloops you could easily miss on 20 dollar headphones. Some genres benefit from bigger bass, etc. She was able to pick up on the level of detail fairly easily.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 31
Cool gfs responding to clarity of the RE0s, thats interesting.hehe.
Hey, list some tunes/songs that u feel sound best on the RE-ZEROs, i'd compare the sound at the dealer's place between the RE0s and the RE-ZEROS. and BTW, are yours the balanced ones? i went in today and my dealer had the simple stereo ones.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 31
RE-ZERO with the TRS plugs are perhaps the ones shipped with HM601. As for testing, use your most familiar tracks where you know every detail, every nuance and how it should sound.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 31
I would like to say i have the zero's with a clip+ and really like the combination.

I have an iphone 3gs with lod cable and fiio e5 but for some reason i prefer the more warmer sound of the clip+ with the zero's at this point. And as they have 16ohm load they are easily driven. I'm using the sony hybrid fake tips. Very happy with the total final result.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #27 of 31
So finally am here, Brought the RE-ZEROs.
i am kind of regretting that.coz maybe i was in love with the RE0 signature.
these deliver good bass, but the treble just isnt as sharp as the RE0s have.i feel, instrument separation is not as visible as was in the RE0s, these deal well when songs with a lot of distortion, but not as sharp still. maybe burn in would give me something better.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #29 of 31
The 0s had started showing their magic at this stage when i brought them.i *hope* they get better after burn in.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #30 of 31
Hmm, I just got my RE-ZERO's. Impressions after a few minutes of listening: they don't sound that different from my RE0's. Can't really name any differences af of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back