First impressions of the Hifiman RE-ZEROs (first pair of IEMs!)
Mar 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

TuNeCedeMalis

New Head-Fier

[size=10.0pt]My RE-ZEROs came in earlier today. Here are my initial impressions after a few hours of usage. I doubt any of this will be educational to experienced IEM users. As my first pair of IEMs, I figure my initial impressions may matter to others who are considering these as their first pair as well! [/size]

[size=10.0pt]To start off, when they first came in I almost didn't know where to start. I promptly (and with some difficulty starting out) started switching back and forth between tips, trying to find the perfect ones. The black stock tips that come with them have nothing unique or distinctive about them. The bi-flanges really surprised me however. I always thought they looked lame in pictures, but for some odd reason they were really desirable to me seeing them in person. Unfortunately, neither of the stock sizes gave me a good fit. I found my best fit with the medium sized sony hybrids, which are available almost anywhere! On to the ZEROs themselves.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]My first problem is with a portion of its design.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]http://i.imgur.com/Bufgx.jpg[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Why they decided it would be a good idea to put a ring of rough edges around a product that is going to go into somebody's ear is beyond me! That being said, this only hurts/scrapes me when i'm wiggling them around by putting them in or taking them out...only then does it scratch the inside of my ear. Once I get them in, they are REALLY comfortable. I still have a bit of trouble getting them just right while putting them in, but it IS getting easier. Right now they are in and I couldn't be more comfortable.[/size]

[size=10.0pt][/size]

[size=10.0pt]Edit: These edges really haven't been a problem to me for quite some time. It was only while I was unfamiliar with how to put them in properly. Still, it may affect someone else's decision to get them. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]After I found the fit I was looking for, I decided to throw on some jams. My initial thought was, "Okay, that does sound good" but nothing much more than that. I also felt that the bass was lacking, but I told myself to allow burn in. That's when I plugged in my Fiio E5. The Fiio's bass boost feature is very interesting in that it doesn't really add all that much…but the little bit it does add IS noticeable and just perfect in combination with these zeros. Analytical is definitely the proper term for these phones. Bass only dominates when intended to by the artist, but at any time I can single out the bass with relative ease. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]It was at this point that I realized how piercing the highs were becoming, and the tinny sound I had heard reported was definitely present. I decided to put my mp3 player at about medium volume and cranked the E5 up to 11 so to speak. This added more punch to the highs without really coloring them in any noticeable way. They were just as clear and sound quality wasn't compromised here, everything just managed to even out. With the bass how I wanted it and the highs no longer piercing, I was finally able to really get into these IEMs.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]My favorite aspect of these headphones is the separation. I threw on some music from a band called Opeth. They worked really well to analyze these headphones…songs are long enough that you can take your time observing different aspects of the headphones, zone out and listen, and then come right back to analyzing. Opeth is also very diverse, from ballads to some of the most brutal stuff I’ve heard. It was definitely a good exercise for me to get acquainted with my zeros. For a large amount of the time, their music is very layered and this is where the separation really helped. I listened to albums that I had heard hundreds, if not thousands, of times and I actually heard things I hadn’t before at least once per song, some things being more significant than others. With each song, my enjoyment of these headphones has grown! Each album I listen to somehow ends up becoming my new favorite album by that band :p. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Next off, the drums! Boy oh boy do IEMs really help with the drums (I’m mostly talking metal, here). The separation does its part but these phones are also detailed and clear enough that I’m able to pick out the different types of cymbals being hit…my experience with cymbals before was very rhythmic, but now the cymbals almost carry a whole melody of their own! [/size]

[size=10.0pt][/size]

[size=10.0pt]Microphonics are almost non-existent when worn with the cable over your ears, but it's a little hard for me to keep them that way so far, as they are still bent here and there from being wound up inside the box. As said before, I still have to allow burn in. Currently I've listened to around five hours worth of material, so if these things do "burn in" I will be very surprised...they sound good already.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The RE-ZEROs come with a balanced plug that isn’t compatible with your traditional 3.5mm headphone jack. I think this was an attempt and future proofing it, but there’s just nothing on the market for a balanced plug right now. It comes with two adapters for a traditional jack, a hard adapter and a soft one. I use the soft one and pretty much forget about it, it really isn’t obtrusive at all. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]So what’s my conclusion so far? Should someone get these headphones as an introductory pair to good IEMs? I’d definitely have to say yes. Even just now my headphones impressed me which really highlights the beauty of these. These are very enjoyable to just listen to, but they do a splendid job of showing me what I’ve been missing. I will definitely get a second pair of IEMs very soon, because now I just feel greedy.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Verdict: These headphones are easily the best headphones I’ve ever had, and anyone considering them as their first pair of “good” headphones should definitely try them out. It took some time and a few adjustments to get the sound I wanted out of it, but now I couldn't be happier. The only flaw remaining is that rough texture, but please don’t let it deter you. A half second of discomfort is definitely worth the journey in my ears right now! I will never buy headphones under $100 dollars again and in the end that's what I really wanted to feel. I definitely recommend the E5 with it (at least...I know there are better amps out there but for $20 dollars it's doing its job).  [/size]

[size=10.0pt][/size]

Please feel free to comment/ask questions/give advice. I hope these first impressions will be helpful to someone out there. 

Edit:
After burn in, it turns out that I like these headphones a whole lot better without an amp (or at least without the Fiio E5 Amp). They don't make the Zeros sound worse or anything. Without the amp, however, everything sounds a whole lot more "live". I don't regret a thing about these headphones.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 31
Nice read, I'm glad you like them! I understand from your review that you are not (yet) using a LOD on your player, maybe that would be a good next step. I definitely noticed some improvement (I have the E5 as well).

I currently own the RE0 but could not resist to buy the RE-ZERO's at their discounted price (around 60 EUR with shipping included, from zococity.es). They are on their way now, I hope they outperform the RE0's without an amp.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 31
good review man!
i almost had the same experience with My Now-Broken RE0s.
a word of caution though, dont wear them over the ear.these can be worn over the ear, but not always, it stresses the wire, and u dont know when it comes off. also, are they musical enough for you? coz with my RE0s, i sometimes felt that they were not musical enough (with some songs i mean). and, did u experience the thumps these produce?sweeeeeeeeeeet bass they have.man, if u are loving them right now, wait till they grow on u and burn in, coz for my RE0s, they got a bit more warm after Burn-in, the highs went a bit soft (or i started tolerating them).but in the end its all worth it.i still dont know what to go for.the RE0s again or the RE-Zeros. but this is the good kind of confusion u know :)

Edit:
Hey Joost,
too bad i guess your RE-Zeros wont reach till tomorrow.i'd be replacing my Broken RE0s with i dont know, RE-ZEROs or RE0s tomorrow only.missing them already.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 31
Oh my RE0's are still in perfect condition, I just want to have both. :p From what I've read around here they are quite different in their presentation, so I'm curious to compare them.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Nice read, I'm glad you like them! I understand from your review that you are not (yet) using a LOD on your player, maybe that would be a good next step. I definitely noticed some improvement (I have the E5 as well).

I currently own the RE0 but could not resist to buy the RE-ZERO's at their discounted price (around 60 EUR with shipping included, from zococity.es). They are on their way now, I hope they outperform the RE0's without an amp.

I would definitely like to hear whether or not you enjoy them over the re0s! Also, being the newbie that I am, I'm not sure what an LOD is. I just searched and found Line Out Dock. Looking into it right now, what is their function as far as SQ goes?

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 31

I can definitely say that these are meeting my expectations, and are definitely musical enough for me. If anything, I would like just a TAD more bass, and i mean a tad (quantity may be just about right actually), and perhaps just a TAD warmer which I'm hoping will happen as they burn in.

Do you have any recommendations for reducing the microphonics without over the ear? They came with a shirt clip but I've had very little success in using it in a way that does the same job as wearing the cord over the ear. I definitely don't want to wear them out though! 
Quote:
a word of caution though, dont wear them over the ear.these can be worn over the ear, but not always, it stresses the wire, and u dont know when it comes off. also, are they musical enough for you?

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 31
I'm not sure what an LOD is. I just searched and found Line Out Dock. Looking into it right now, what is their function as far as SQ goes?

It lets you use the Line-out part of your player, and bypass the amp section of the player; the sound is fed directly into your (external) amp. Especially with high-end amps (which are better than the integrated amps in most players) this is a big advantage. In the case of the E5 you will notice a bit more punch to the sound. I'm not an expert either, but this is what I've experienced :wink:

I thought the bass was a bit light too at first, but I've grown accustomed to the sound signature now and I really like it.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 31
The PMPs that we use as our sources have internal Headphone amplifiers.these headphone amplifiers, due to the lack of space cannot always use the best Caps and Resistances, and therefore do not always sound the best-or-otherwise, the signal from the headphone amp is not always as clean as the signal thet goes into the headphone amplifier.so we use LODs, these bypass the internal amps of PMPs and carry the cleanest signal straight out so that we can amplify them with our amps.

its like Signal>>internal HeadPhone Amp>>out
with an LOD Signal>>Out signal goes straight out for us to amplify.so its the cleanest form of signal that we amplify with our choice of Amplifier.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 31
I definitely like the idea of this. Do you think it would work well with the E5? I can't afford an LOD AND a new amp that's for sure. 

Surely the pmps amp WITH the fiio isn't preferable. And surely the E5 is a better amp than the one in my zune (maybe)? Anyways, do you think this one would do the trick?
http://www.amazon.com/Zune-G9D-00001-HD-Sync-Dock/dp/B002L16KS2

Or am I looking for something more like this, but for zune/E5?
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300040434&sr=1-1

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 31
I have a Fiio LOD (the most basic one, the L1 I think) and an iBasso one. The iBasso is almost double the cost, but I doubt it adds more SQ than the Fiio one. I bought it because I needed another LOD and it looked gorgeous :)

Fiio L1:

iBasso CB03

-edit- Whoops, I just read you are using a Zune. These are meant for iPods. My bad.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 31
Hey TuNeCedemalis
slow down man.seriously slow down. enjoy what you just brought for yourself atleast for a month or two.after this time frame, compare these to others, that ur friends might have, you might have, and appreciate the differences, good or bad.use the RE-ZEROs u just got for sometime before jumping to a setup with an LOD.you just wont be able to admire the difference, if any.let your head learn what they sound like, compare,appreciate the differences, then think of an upgrade.till that time, save money for a Nice Amp.people have liked the Headstage 12HE amp with the RE0s alot atleast.Reasearch through the time.feel it?hehe.and yeah, LOD with a FiiO E5, not a very good idea.save and get urself a better amp.
and i am not sure the links u posted have the line out, this one has though
http://lunashops.com/goods.php?id=1279

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 31
See, that's just the problem. The friends I have who convinced me to get some IEMs in the first place, live on the other side of the country. The only comparing I can do is if I buy this equipment myself, which is what made my first headphone purchase all the more stressful. Luckily, I think the zeros are the perfect entry headphones before dropping money elsewhere. That being said, I think I will spend time with this for now. None of my friends have an LOD either, so yeah. I'll probably buy it (only another twenty dollars!), but I'll definitely wait to do so until these are fully burned in.

You guys are so helpful, it's awesome.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 31
I'd just like to share with everyone a moment I just had with my RE-ZEROs. I was sitting here listening to a song called "lightbulb sun" by a band called porcupine tree. I started noticing and odd sound and couldn't figure out what it was...and then I realized it was the sound of the pick itself as it bent and swiped down the strings...my mind = blown.
basshead.gif

Also, this time around I noticed I put the headphones in subconsciously, and didn't scratch my ears on the metal. :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 31
@tunecedemalis,
i had initially started a thread to report the songs that sound cool with the RE0s, only one reply.hehe.
what about the Rock songs? particularly the ones with a lot of distortion?
do u have Hinder's American Nightmare? coz i feel that album feels terrible on the RE0s.they dont handle the sound well when a lot of instruments are played at the same time, i dont know what to call it, maybe its distortion in the songs that sucks. check it out once if you can.also, check if 3OH!3's 2 albums sound good on the phones or not.
and there is this Katie Melua, her vocals are lovely on the RE0s atleast, you mite want to try.

i just put on my HD212 Pros.i am so missing my RE0s.

Edit: and hey, don't worry about the no Headphone loving guys around you.i got none, am actually trying to turn my GF into atleast someone who cares how the music sounds.hehe.
search on the forums if people around u are here, look for stores that let you audition the stuff u are going to buy first.it'll be fine.
what are u thinking about the backup IEMs? i got EP630s, thinking of Klipsch S4 or PL50s.

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 31
Nice first impressions, BTW.

A fellow Opeth-head who liked Opeth + DBA-02 over Opeth + RE0 (not RE-ZERO, which I've got only recently) here
rolleyes.gif

@psgarcha92,

RE0 is not musical because it's 'thinned down'. I don't notice that issue with RE-ZERO. RE-ZERO is better than RE0 to my ears. YMMV, of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back