FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #1,547 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the Swan D1080MkII 08 and a DAC. Will the Icon uDAC work by it self or does it need the Icon Amp? Or should I just get the Icon? I don't want to spend more than $280.

It works in conjunction with a computer via USB digital input, without needing a separate amp. It outputs through either the 1/8" headphone jack, or it has a pair of RCA jacks to feed into a separate amp in case you upgrade later. The uDAC via USB digital is more detailed and spacious than the Icon via USB digital, but the Icon has more power and a little more neutral frequency response. The uDAC is a much better DAC than the Icon, but not quite as good an amp. The uDAC RCA out feeding the Icon, head-direct EF2 or Qinpu A-3 amps was a definite upgrade when driving headphones.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #1,549 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah chill out guys! and Userlander leave the attackers alone so that theyll quiet down hehehe.

You said it wrong. Nobody attacked that guy. It's he who made a lot of attacking posts to other people who like the uDAC. Look back the pages before while he was banned, there was peace, people exchanged impressions smoothly. And then, what happened when the super-duper-userlander come back? Seriously, when I hate something, I just sell it and move on. Why bother coming back and telling people lying or deaf without thinking that his experience with other DACs and headphones is merely zero comparing to other people here. That HotAudio thing must be the discovery of the century because he could hear everything perfectly, even with his KSC75 and PK3.

Yeah, I agree with you that he should leave people here alone.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #1,550 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works in conjunction with a computer via USB digital input, without needing a separate amp. It outputs through either the 1/8" headphone jack, or it has a pair of RCA jacks to feed into a separate amp in case you upgrade later. The uDAC via USB digital is more detailed and spacious than the Icon via USB digital, but the Icon has more power and a little more neutral frequency response. The uDAC is a much better DAC than the Icon, but not quite as good an amp. The uDAC RCA out feeding the Icon, head-direct EF2 or Qinpu A-3 amps was a definite upgrade when driving headphones.

Disagree, the Swans have an internal amp, so the amp portion won't matter...rather only the DAC portion of either NuForce products, and I'd have to give the upper hand to the uDAC.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #1,551 of 1,841
Hello everybody!! Cheers from Croatia....

As you can see by my number of posts (this beeing the first) I am new here.

I just wanted to say that I really like this forum and you guys are really helpfull when regarding to hifi gear,esspecially those that goes to your head.
L3000.gif

Anyways...i chose to write in this thread because I ordered this little thingy called uDAC. Hope it will meet my expectations at least by 70%...

I sure will come back with my impressions as soon as i get it (which I cant wait
popcorn.gif
).

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,552 of 1,841
I would bet that you reach at least the 70% satisfaction threshold!

Welcome to Head-fi
L3000.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #1,553 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by ITau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways...i chose to write in this thread because I ordered this little thingy called uDAC. Hope it will meet my expectations at least by 70%...

Just don't put too much hope on the uDac because sometimes it might sound thick, sometimes thin. And in case you like it, remember not to come back here to praise it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #1,554 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the DAC STRAIGHT, and I subsequently sold it to buy the uDac. Sonic detail retrieval was better with the uDac to MY ears in MY chain, with MY taste in music. Yes the 2702 is a very capable Dac chip, but its all about implementation and its surrounding component build up that define its true prowess. The DAC STRAIGHT is a mediocre budget implementation of what the 2702 can truly achieve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the DAC straight before and currently own the uDAC. I prefer the uDAC by sizeable margin personally because uDAC has more open, wider soundstage, better detail retrieval and stronger, more extended low end response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like we had very similar experiences/transition with the DAC STRAIGHT and uDAC. Both are very capable little units, but the uDAC wins the race.

Dangit! I'm already disappointed in the DAC STRAIGHT, and I haven't even received it yet, lol! I hope I like it in my system. I thought it would be suitable because it has no volume pot or headphone out (unnecessary for the setup I have in mind), so the form factor was the determining factor, now I think I should have tried the Ecstasy...
frown.gif

How is the output level on the DAC STRAIGHT? I have noticed that my EF5 needs a somewhat "hot" source with the HE-5s, and I am concerned that I may need a self-powered DAC to achieve this, rather that a USB-powered one.

I really like my uDac, but it's for my laptop rig, and I was hoping for a high-quality DAC-only, plus I like to try different things and didn't want to just get another uDac.

Anyways I hope I like it a little better than you guys (in my setup, and to my ears), but I am already wondering if it will work out in my system, or if I will have to return it and spend 2-3x as much
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #1,555 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dangit! I'm already disappointed in the DAC STRAIGHT, and I haven't even received it yet, lol! I hope I like it in my system. I thought it would be suitable because it has no volume pot or headphone out (unnecessary for the setup I have in mind), so the form factor was the determining factor, now I think I should have tried the Ecstasy...
frown.gif

How is the output level on the DAC STRAIGHT? I have noticed that my EF5 needs a somewhat "hot" source with the HE-5s, and I am concerned that I may need a self-powered DAC to achieve this, rather that a USB-powered one.

I really like my uDac, but it's for my laptop rig, and I was hoping for a high-quality DAC-only, plus I like to try different things and didn't want to just get another uDac.

Anyways I hope I like it a little better than you guys (in my setup, and to my ears), but I am already wondering if it will work out in my system, or if I will have to return it and spend 2-3x as much
confused_face(1).gif

DAC Straight required a little bit more boost in volume from my amp at the time (EF1, more or less equivalent to EF5 perhaps with bit less power) than the Pico DAC. It is a solid, balanced sounding entry level source, and I don't think you should be disappointed at all in the DAC Straight. However, do try the uDAC also and see if it mates with the HE-5 better for your liking. It's possible that you may like its dynamics and soundstage better over the DAC Straight, but only you will be able to tell.

Another option is to contact and negotiate with Dave at Hotaudio for the DAC-Extasy, which apparently from what userlander has said can be negotiated down to mid $100 range. From the impressions I've been getting from it, it seems more of a Pico DAC equivalent, and that would indeed be a significant upgrade from the DAC Straight. I'm sure Dave would be accomodating to returns/exchanges and such with you if you're not totally happy with your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #1,556 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disagree, the Swans have an internal amp, so the amp portion won't matter...rather only the DAC portion of either NuForce products, and I'd have to give the upper hand to the uDAC.

I wasn't saying anything about the Swans. i know nothing about them. I was just answering his questions, and giving him options in his $280 budget.

(1) Will the Icon uDAC work by it self or does it need the Icon Amp? (2) Or should I just get the Icon? (3) I don't want to spend more than $280.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #1,557 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was a former DAC Straight owner (my first foray into a USB DAC) and it was a nice $100 USB DAC. The customer service from Dave at Hotaudio was absolutely fantastic.

But with that said, I prefer the uDAC, I do hear more detail from it and prefer the sound stage imaging. As well, really like the uDAC as an amp/DAC with IEMs (zero hiss even with my really sensitive Westone 3s). And all for about the same money.

Just my two cents...

Like I said in the post above your reply, I do feel the PCM2702E is an upgrade over the Macbook Pro headphone out, and I've enjoyed it in the EF2, 3MOVE and XM5, although I haven't had the pleasure to try the DAC Straight.

I also found the uDAC to be an upgrade in micro detail, ambience and soundstage size over my PCM2702E DACs - that doesn't make the 2702E based DACs bad, it just makes it not quite as good to my ears.

I can imagine Dave's customer server and products are good, as I've never read a bad thing about them. I might have tried the DAC ecstasy if I hadn't already bought several Wolfson DACs like D4, D10 and Pico DAC only (with a $59 Headstage demo unit coming someday).

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #1,558 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok great I am gonna get the uDAC when I buy the Swans. Thanks for the help.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,560 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option is to contact and negotiate with Dave at Hotaudio for the DAC-Extasy, which apparently from what userlander has said can be negotiated down to mid $100 range. From the impressions I've been getting from it, it seems more of a Pico DAC equivalent, and that would indeed be a significant upgrade from the DAC Straight. I'm sure Dave would be accomodating to returns/exchanges and such with you if you're not totally happy with your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would definitely agree with that. If you like a neutral, balanced sound with better detail in both the upper midrange and the highs than the uDAC ("better detail" not because it's artificially boosted anywhere, but because it's more even, kind of like --------------- compared to --^-----,--,, ), then the DAC-Extasy is what you want. If you prefer the kind of coloration the uDAC provides with less detail (or you need a built in headamp), then the uDAC might be a better choice.

With some set ups, I can imagine some saying the Extasy is a little bright or thin sounding because it is so neutral. But that's only if you are used to artificially boosted lows. In reality it is quite neutral in my estimation, the mids and highs are beautifully balanced, and the bass is very accurate also, not artificially boosted or bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back