FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #1,368 of 1,841
Mine just came in a couple of hours back. Pretty impressed so far. Very small, nice solid build. Through my MS1i's the sound is definitely more controlled and refined, not so 'peaky' and 'grating' in the top end.
With the Phonaks the detail really lets loose. Bass is tight and the midrange is very nice: a little forward IMO but sweet, a little warm and without sibilance.
A quick A/B with the iPhone, I thought the iPhones HP out sounded 'softer around the edges' while the uDac sounded 'sharper' without being aggressive. Nice!

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #1,370 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody tried the uDac with Sennheiser HD238? Impressions?

It's good in a way that it brings their laid back mids a little more forward, but overall I feel that the combination sounds just a slightly too lush for my liking.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #1,371 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by vokain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think I am getting a surround sound signal. I did a surround sound test with the coax-out to an A40 mixamp (converts DD 5.1->Dolby Headphone), and I seem to be getting the forward left and right, and back left and right in the right places. A quick test without the mixamp made the FL and BL sound equally on my left, and the FR and BR sounded equal on the right.

I watched the Bourne Ultimatum with 5.1 AC3, and I'm pretty sure I was hearing surround too.

I don't see why it wouldn't transport a multi-channel signal. If used as S/PDIF out, it wouldn't [shouldn't] touch the stream, leaving the multi-channel data intact, if my understanding is correct.

I'm pretty sure the udac doesn't support surround sound. When I hooked it up to my reciever using the coaxial cable i went into audio midi setup. (From my understanding this is how you setup surround sound on a mac). I selected the udac as my audio device and when I tried to configure the udac stereo was my only option. This picture might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

mail

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,372 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderloochy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure the udac doesn't support surround sound. When I hooked it up to my reciever using the coaxial cable i went into audio midi setup. (From my understanding this is how you setup surround sound on a mac). I selected the udac as my audio device and when I tried to configure the udac stereo was my only option. This picture might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

mail

I get the same thing in Windows. I don't see why it wouldn't (couldn't?) carry a multi-channel signal though.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #1,373 of 1,841
Just finished auditioning the uDac (bought it for a friend in France) and like many others here, I am impressed. My first listen with a DAC, and all of a sudden, my netbook became a top level player. I had no idea. It's good to learn new things. I will be ordering one when they show up on Amazon again.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #1,375 of 1,841
Quote:

I don't see why it wouldn't (couldn't?) carry a multi-channel signal though.

I agree and that's why it's so frustrating for me. This is the first time I've tried to take advantage of my 5.1 surround setup and now I'm having a lot of problems and confusion.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #1,376 of 1,841
I recently took my uDac to a friends place (house sitting) and I grabbed my uDac and Grado 125s and I was still impressed at the synergy with these two pieces and it also made his crappy mp3s perform well (not excellent but better than I expected for 128)

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #1,377 of 1,841
A Dolby digital signal is a bitstream (compressed data signal) not all DAC's have the capability of decoding a DD bitstream signal. Since the uDAC only has stereo analog outs it's unlikely that it would decode a multi-channel output. It might convert the usb to a bitstream digital out on the spdif, but It might not.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #1,378 of 1,841
Hey, I have the nuforce udac, but am planning on getting a Headroom Ultra Micro DAC or a Headroom Ultra Desktop DAC.

Will I notice a notice a big difference jumping between the Nuforce udac the HR Ultra micro DAC? What about to the HR Ultra Desktop DAC?

If anyone could compare any of these to the udac, that would be great.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,380 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just purchased a uDac today as I was really intrigued. Listening to some FLAC files atm, and I'm really impressed. Sounding great out of my TF10pros!

What is your conclusion with the 404s w/uDac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back