FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 9, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,203 of 1,841
For those of you who've heard this amp-would you describe the highs as rolled off? The OP mentions that the highs are rounded and I'm not exactly sure what is meant by this.

-sid

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,204 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who've heard this amp-would you describe the highs as rolled off? The OP mentions that the highs are rounded and I'm not exactly sure what is meant by this.

Rounded?

"Not Sharp."

I'm not a fan of "piercing treble" and I prefer my sopranos smooth and not stabby. This dac will not throw needles in your ears for the trouble of venturing into the upper registers.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #1,205 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rounded?

"Not Sharp."

I'm not a fan of "piercing treble" and I prefer my sopranos smooth and not stabby. This dac will not throw needles in your ears for the trouble of venturing into the upper registers.

Ok, that sounds much better, thanks for the clarification. I'm upgrading from an Icon Mobile that was just way too bright in combination with my ER4P. It sounds like this isn't a problem with the uDac.

-sid

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #1,206 of 1,841
Quote:

-sid

Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rounded?

"Not Sharp."

Quote:

Ok, that sounds much better, thanks for the clarification. I'm upgrading from an Icon Mobile that was just way too bright in combination with my ER4P. It sounds like this isn't a problem with the uDac.

-sid

Correct description. The extension is fine, but the highs are not forward, sharp or piercing. In relation to the Pico DAC only the highs are slightly recessed and rounded, but not in a detracting way and it's all present and audible - not calling attention to itself up there. I think the uDAC would be good with ER4.

If you are using one of these DACs to feed an amp in order to drive HD650 or Stax O2 Mk1, the Pico may be a better choice since those phones could use more treble energy if your amp doesn't make up for the lack. With many Grados or Stax Lambda series phone, the uDAC might be a better choice, depending on your amp again, but with the HF-2 I may prefer the Pico to feed my amp just a little more (already a very warm forward headphone with less highs than RS-1, HF-1, or 325i).

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #1,207 of 1,841
dsc01426n.jpg

dsc01429se.jpg

Musiland 02 Dac and uDac

The blue thing beneath is a CD protector so you can judge the size

I borrowed my friend's uDac to compare against my Musiland 02US. They both sound very similar with the exception that the 02US is evidently more forward with vocals and slightly more full bodied bass, and micro details are an edge more apparent. Their sound stage characteristics are identical to me. They're both great as a DAC, I would be happy with either one.

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #1,208 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Musiland 02 Dac and uDac

The blue thing beneath is a CD protector so you can judge the size

I borrowed my friend's uDac to compare against my Musiland 02US. They both sound very similar with the exception that the 02US is evidently more forward with vocals and slightly more full bodied bass, and micro details are an edge more apparent. Their sound stage characteristics are identical to me. They're both great as a DAC, I would be happy with either one.

Thanks for the pic, kite. Is does the Musiland 02US have two headphone jacks? Did you get a chance to compare the headphone amp in the uDAC and the Musiland?

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #1,209 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the pic, kite. Is does the Musiland 02US have two headphone jacks? Did you get a chance to compare the headphone amp in the uDAC and the Musiland?

Yes the 02US has two headphone jacks, one is for high impedance cans and one is for low. The comparison above is from using the headphone jacks for both DACs

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #1,210 of 1,841
Thanks for the pic of your Musiland DAC - I hope its a better model than my MD-10, which I find too polite. The Topaz is a better DAC than the MD10, but neither is much chop as a headphone amp, and both were significantly more expensive than the uDAC : if its in that league as a DAC, its definitely very good VFM.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,212 of 1,841
What's the point of digital out from a DAC? Is the signal amplified or something?

But I'm thinking, I have this Astro A40 Mixamp that converts Dolby Digital surround into Dolby Headphone, but my laptop doesn't have optical out. Would the uDAC carry that Dolby signal to the mixamp? That'd seal the deal for me buying the uDAC, really.

Also, for those that use winamp, i found kernel streamers for that: http://www.stevemonks.com/ksplugin/
thanks busyx2!

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #1,213 of 1,841
I was just wondering if it was ever mention what program the OP used to do his testing. I was also wondering if anyone was able to confirm what busyx2 said about the sound being improved using Kernal Streaming in Foobar2000. My uDAC should be arriving this Friday so I just wanted to ensure I can get the most out of this product by getting all my ducks in a row. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #1,214 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering if it was ever mention what program the OP used to do his testing. I was also wondering if anyone was able to confirm what busyx2 said about the sound being improved using Kernal Streaming in Foobar2000. My uDAC should be arriving this Friday so I just wanted to ensure I can get the most out of this product by getting all my ducks in a row. Thanks!

I mentioned Macbook in the middle of the original post. So, Mac OSX using iTunes and Core Audio built-in, which always sounds pretty good. There are reportedly small improvements using Amarra software decoder, but I haven't wanted to drop $395 just to have to use a hardware USB dongle to activate the software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back