FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #1,171 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does this compare to the pico dac only(without amp)? Since i have preordered a pico slim, can i connect my laptop -> udac -> pico slim ->jh13?

The uDAC and Pico Amp/DAC have different sound. I prefer the uDAC. I have both and I don't "imagine" the conclusion
wink.gif

Yes, you can use the uDAC with the Slim by Laptop (100% volume) -> uDAC (100% volume) -> RCA-mini -> Slim -> your headphones.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #1,172 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The uDAC and Pico Amp/DAC have different sound. I prefer the uDAC. I have both and I don't "imagine" the conclusion
wink.gif

Yes, you can use the uDAC with the Slim by Laptop (100% volume) -> uDAC (100% volume) -> RCA-mini -> Slim -> your headphones.

Well, I guess I was wrong, then. The DAC-Extasy in that case must be better than the Pico, because it certainly has better highs, clearer midrange, and more neutral midbass than the uDAC. Thanks for clarifying it. The pecking order apparently therefore goes like this:

uDAC </= Pico < DAC-Extasy

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #1,174 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I guess I was wrong, then. The DAC-Extasy in that case must be better than the Pico, because it certainly has better highs, clearer midrange, and more neutral midbass than the uDAC. Thanks for clarifying it. The pecking order apparently therefore goes like this:

Have you heard the Pico?

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #1,175 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes.

Said they guy who doesn't have the Pico. Imagination is invaluable.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #1,176 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, I also prefer the uDAC.

Saying you *prefer* something is different from asking how they compare. A lot of people prefer Bose tri-ports and skullcandy headphones to Grado, Senn, etc. That doesn't mean, from a more audiophile perspective, that the sound quality of the bose and skullcandy compares favorably to HD600s or comparable Grados. There are a number of flaws in the sound of those products that can be objectively identified, just as there are a number of flaws in the uDAC sound that also can be objectively identified. If you prefer a more "flawed" sound, that is your prerogative. But again, that doesn't mean it favorably compares.

Companies like Headamp and others have really done a lot to build a reputation by putting out a very good product, and imo it's not really fair to them to give the impression that a product with greater sound signature flaws like the uDAC is the equivalent to what they have put out -- that it's all just a "preference." Again, you can prefer something that has greater flaws, which goes to your credibility, but it doesn't mean the sound quality compares equally. I think it's wrong to pretend otherwise.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #1,177 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the Pico?

Why would I need to hear the Pico? The DAC-Extasy is a better DAC than the uDAC, so if the Pico is the equivalent of the uDAC, necessarily that means that the DAC-Extasy is also a better DAC than the uDAC. It's simple logic.

If the Pico is a better DAC than the uDAC, which I suspect it is, then it also doesn't matter. In that case, the Pico is also better or at least equal to the DAC-Extasy.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #1,178 of 1,841
Anyone tried feed uDAC's RCA directly into a easy to drive headphone or IEM ? I tried it and it works. This maybe placebo or using different type of cable (SXC vs Mogam) I felt there is differences. please anyone with better equipment try it and see if there is difference from headphone out vs RCA.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,179 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does this compare to the pico dac only(without amp)? Since i have preordered a pico slim, can i connect my laptop -> udac -> pico slim ->jh13?

In my comparisons, the detail is fairly equivalent, and the uDAC is a little warmer, more rounded in the highs, and a little more forward in a mids. The Pico DAC is just to the warm side of neutral with a deeper soundstage and a little more sparkle in the highs.

So, it depends on what sound you want, as they do sound different. If I could only have one, I'd take the Pico DAC-only for the Pico Slim, as they were made for each other. But the uDAC is wonderful for the price and comes closer than a $99 DAC should be allowed to.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,180 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my comparisons, the detail is fairly equivalent, and the uDAC is a little warmer, more rounded in the highs, and a little more forward in a mids. The Pico DAC is just to the warm side of neutral with a deeper soundstage and a little more sparkle in the highs.

So, it depends on what sound you want, as they do sound different. If I could only have one, I'd take the Pico DAC-only for the Pico Slim, as they were made for each other. But the uDAC is wonderful for the price and comes closer than a $99 DAC should be allowed to.

Agreed on that point - or maybe it just speaks to most things being overpriced. Because are you saying the uDAC competes with the Pico in the same "class," but only has a different sound signature? That would greatly surprise me based on what I heard, on everything I've read regarding the Pico, and my own comparisons with the Extasy and V-DAC. The Pico in that case would be *very* highly overrated -- and way overpriced -- nowhere near worth the $349 they charge for it. I find that hard to believe with all the great reviews and long track record of approval Pico has.

Or else perhaps I just got a defective uDAC?
confused.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,181 of 1,841
I have read most of this thread over the last couple months, but I forget if this was answered. Can the uDac output via RCA and Spdif at the same time? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw on the website that you have to turn off the volume to activate the spdif out. Damn.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #1,183 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At least with the Sonett, ES3X and µDAC combo, resolution easily outpaces the Pico Amp/DAC (I don't have the Pico DAC only). The upper midrange and high's are better resolved. Cymbal decay is clearly evident with the µDAC, whereas the Pico seems to blur content.

I'd give edge definition to the µDAC as well. That warmth that everyone talks about might be just what music sounds like. At least to these ears, and with the aforementioned equipment, music sounds more naturally reproduced with the µDAC than the Pico Amp/DAC. I tried plugging in my Pico after listening to the µDAC and it has been sidelined for now.

Maybe it's just system synergy, but with such a teaser product like the µDAC, I can't wait to get my hands on some higher resolution DAC like the upcoming DAC-9. I might even try the HDP, but I really don't need another amp. I'm thinking that the DAC-9, or moving even higher upscale to the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC might hasten the light at the end of this tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back